New beekeeping with AZDuffman

May 16th, 2015 at 4:09:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
I was wondering about the cold snap. Good news.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 16th, 2015 at 4:45:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Okay. So now you can count to some large number then divide by six and know how many bees you have, but what are you going to do with them?
May 16th, 2015 at 6:42:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Okay. So now you can count to some large number then divide by six and know how many bees you have, but what are you going to do with them?

Count and divide by six? I'm missing the gag.

As to what I will do with them? It is a multiple thing. Part of the reason I got them is to just learn how to keep them and provide both honey and wax for myself. The honey I will use, give to friends, and sell. The wax I will sell or use in homemade products. Another thing is they should help the garden. Finally, 40% of hives died last year. I am also trying to just help the balance of nature, or at least my corner of it.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2015 at 12:13:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
Finally, 40% of hives died last year.

I have some flowering plants outside my front door. Have yet to see any bees this year. Saw them last year. Maybe it's still too early.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 16th, 2015 at 4:24:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
Count and divide by six? I'm missing the gag.
One of fleastiff's overly grand generalizations perhaps. Bees are insects and all insects have six legs.

Good luck with the honey. Mountain Laurel in the area??? Azaleas??
May 21st, 2015 at 2:37:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Be sure to let us know if you suspect your bees are becoming addicted to any pesticide sources. That is part of the latest research, bees die off because their brains crave pesticides. Seems strange. Nature often is.
May 26th, 2015 at 1:53:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
ONE MONTH UPDATE

Not a whole lot to report but it has been a month.

The buggers ate 12 pounds of sugar. That is about 2 pounds of bees eating 12 pounds of sugar in just over 30 days. Or six times their weight in 30 days. Or their weight in 5 days. It is actually more because they did not finish the sugar five minutes before I got there. It was probably more like 21 days. The sugar is dissolved in water, so the body weight thing is even more. Of course, they did not eat it all, plenty has been stored.

There are 10 frames to a deep (box) and they have drawn out about three of them. Looks like the second deep will not leave my living room before the 4th of July. For some reason, most of the activity is on the left side. Perhaps that is because that is where I installed the queen or else it is the opposite side from where the feeder was. In class the did stress not to rotate the frames like milk in a supermarket as it will disrupt things, so I will just keep watching.

This was my 4th time checking them, and it is amazing how much more comfortable I was. I was not the worst before as in my PCO days I attacked wasp nests with no protection. But at the install I wore jeans. This time I was lazy and wore shorts. Still used the gloves and veil as a sting in the eye can blind you.

Now to let them cool off so I can grill some chicken for dinner and snacks.
The President is a fink.
May 26th, 2015 at 2:10:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Good thing sugar is cheap!!!

When does the honey stuff start?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2015 at 2:49:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Good thing sugar is cheap!!!

When does the honey stuff start?

Yeah, I knew I was going to do this so stocked up both for it and my general prepping. Need to watch for more sales.

Honey probably next year.
The President is a fink.
May 27th, 2015 at 5:54:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
I've heard of beekeepers unconsciously picking at old stingers on their arms etc. as they have conversation etc - suggesting they just get used to being stung some. Maybe that was the old days? Or do you concur [or expect that later]?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]