So what happened?

Page 2 of 5<12345>
November 21st, 2012 at 4:50:37 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: AcesAndEights
I really need to get my worldview straight before the next presidential election
You can start by joining us, the liberal elites, for our planned final salvo in the War on Christmas!! Victory shall be ours! Christmas will be destroyed, Muhahahaha!!!
November 21st, 2012 at 4:58:16 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: s2dbaker
You can start by joining us, the liberal elites, for our planned final salvo in the War on Christmas!! Victory shall be ours! Christmas will be destroyed, Muhahahaha!!!

I find your ideas intriguing, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter!
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
November 22nd, 2012 at 8:10:24 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Nareed
On same-sex marriage, they should realize what most of America seems to have: homosexuality is harmless in and of itself, and people shouldn't be treated as second-class citizens because of irrelevant differences.

So are you saying that everyone should change their position on an issue because a current majority is in favor of a different position? That may work for you NOW on THIS issue, but it is kind of pile of crap as a way to decide where you stand. What about the people who stood up for things like gay rights, women's rights, etc. when those positions were NOT supported by the majority of people? Should everyone then have given in to the majority?

No, of course not. Just as you have the right to support gay marriage, I have the right to oppose it.

I support the right of gays to be treated equally; I support that for EVERYONE. I believe marriage is between one man and one woman and should stay that way. I don't think a person or a party should change their position just to find favor with others and I also do not think they should allow anyone to present them as "EVIL" if they oppose a particular position...

On abortion, they should recognize that there can and should be some exceptions. Rape is obvious, but some argued against it being necessary to rpeserve the life of the mother.

MOST do recognize that. A couple of folks made statements that were very harmful and the party allowed the other party to paint the whole party as feeling the same way. By the way, it is okay for the other party to try and paint you into in a corner when members of your party say stupid things...you've got to have a better defense when the other side is on offense!!

And on immigration the Republican position is just wrong.

I think the position needs to be consistent...close the border, give those already here some kind of a path to legal residence and citizenship over time for some/all (??), and enforce policies against employment of any illegal entrants once the borders are closed.

...I am concerned about what policies we want as Americans. The electorate has spoken; they voted for a split government. My concern is that this government will not work on doing things to get America back to work. Unemployment has stayed high and everyone tends to forget those who have dropped out of the ranks of those looking for work. We are tremendously underemployed and now it looks like ALL of the employed will be paying more and more taxes to pay for programs for both themselves and the non-working folks. We really do need to get more people pulling the wagon and less riding along...
November 22nd, 2012 at 9:27:21 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I thought the border was "closed". I thought the problem was more due to illegal employment of people without a right to work in the US.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 22nd, 2012 at 10:51:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: AcesAndEights
*I say half-hearted because I probably don't agree with a lot of the capital-L Libertarians on a lot of things,

I'd be curious to know what you disagree with specifically.

I don't know much about the LP's positions, but they often strike me as dead wrong on foreign policy.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:08:23 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: TheCesspit
I thought the border was "closed". I thought the problem was more due to illegal employment of people without a right to work in the US.

It is probably technically "closed" unless one is authorized to cross but we need to work on getting people outside the border to respect the border...cross it, get caught, you do a little time at hard labor, get sent home, and lose any future opportunity for employment in the US.

Illegal employment is a huge issue--both sides have problems with this because a blind eye has been turned to employers who knowingly higher illegals. Those illegals cause a lot of problems for other workers and themselves--subpar wages, mistreatment, etc.--but the problem is not caused solely by them...someone had to hire them.
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:21:41 AM permalink
Nareed
I thought the border was "closed".

It's as closed as a border can be between free countries. What's scary is that the mainstream GOP position seems to be to build a replica Berlin Wall along the full border with Mexico, perhaps minus the machineguns.

The irony is that there are more illegal immigrants currently in the US because the border was closed. Before then, they came and went to and from Mexico to the US as their main work was seasonal, and they left their families behind. Now, since crossing the border is harder and riskier, they stay and take their families along.

So let me say again: the GOP's position on immigration is ALL WRONG.
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:28:18 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: RonC
It is probably technically "closed" unless one is authorized to cross but we need to work on getting people outside the border to respect the border...cross it, get caught, you do a little time at hard labor, get sent home, and lose any future opportunity for employment in the US.

Illegal employment is a huge issue--both sides have problems with this because a blind eye has been turned to employers who knowingly higher illegals. Those illegals cause a lot of problems for other workers and themselves--subpar wages, mistreatment, etc.--but the problem is not caused solely by them...someone had to hire them.

Indeed. This is the bit I just don't get. Make it harder, and prosecute the businesses hiring people without the right to work. This would lead to the hiring of more unemployed Americans. Wages may be a problem, but either people will work for less, or prices go up. Folks will have to deal with that somehow, there's no magic wand to be applied there.

It's a kinda crazy situation if you have 8% unemployment, but a significant number of illegal workers. Assuming that the number is a large as being portrayed.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:59:50 AM permalink
RonC
Indeed. This is the bit I just don't get. Make it harder, and prosecute the businesses hiring people without the right to work. This would lead to the hiring of more unemployed Americans. Wages may be a problem, but either people will work for less, or prices go up. Folks will have to deal with that somehow, there's no magic wand to be applied there.

It's a kinda crazy situation if you have 8% unemployment, but a significant number of illegal workers. Assuming that the number is a large as being portrayed.

The problem is that large business owners who hire illegals would tend to be Republicans...so Republicans do not work as hard as they can to shut down that part of the equation; the Dems want to keep the minority votes and don't want to shut down the worker part of the equation.

Both parties are dishonest in a lot of ways; you have to chose your poison!!
November 22nd, 2012 at 5:53:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Indeed. This is the bit I just don't get. Make it harder, and prosecute the businesses hiring people without the right to work. This would lead to the hiring of more unemployed Americans.

Like this: http://www.motherofexiles.org/2012/08/california-farm-labor-shortage-worst.html

Quote:
Wages may be a problem, but either people will work for less, or prices go up. Folks will have to deal with that somehow, there's no magic wand to be applied there.

They will deal with it, somehow. Outsourcing jobs is a way to deal with it, too.
Page 2 of 5<12345>