Gigafactory

August 3rd, 2015 at 3:27:27 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Face
I thought you got the make wrong and made a misspelling, and had no idea what a Mazda Murai had to do with fuel savings. Guess my head's just in a certain place...

Someone needs to explain this to me. I mean, sure, H is extremely unstable, more so than petrol or propane. But petrol and propane aren't exactly "safe", and there's millions of gallons of the stuff on the roads everyday. Propane tanks are being toted in trucks to camp, they're on RV's and pop-ups, they're used in big rigs, they're in converted autos... I don't ever remember hearing of the multiple propane disasters in the news. How is H so much worse?

Then compare it to petrol. H has a huge expansion ratio, something over 800 (propane is around 250). So a cubic foot of liquid H will turn into 800+ cubic feet of gaseous H when released. That is a big fireball. But I wonder if it's more dangerous? It seems to me that, while impressive, any fireball would be very limited. You get a big whoomp, and then it's over. Compare that to petrol. When released, petrol will likewise evaporate and atomize into a flammable cloud. When it whoomps, the fireball will be much smaller, but there will still likely be a large pool of the liquid stuff left. That means it'll burn and burn and burn for much longer than its gaseous counterpart. I dunno their energy output or the result of such on flesh, but I have a hard time envisioning an H fire burning even long enough to ignite the car, whereas other liquid petroleum products (brake fluid, oils, petrol) burn cars to the ground daily.

Is the fear of H overblown?

The difference between the flammable concentration range of hydrogen is 4% to 75%. The range for gasoline is 1.4% to 7.6%. This is the percent in the air at which they will ignite. Much narrow range for gasoline means it is inherently safer even though many of us have lit gasoline on fire with no problem.

The trillions that Chrysler is facing in their settlement for the Jeep gas tanks (and other issues) are based on 75 deaths from exploding gas tanks (some accidents were likely multiple deaths) so even fewer incidents over several years. What company would want to be the first to hope they had thought of every possibility as they put millions of hydrogen vehicles on the road.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 3rd, 2015 at 3:41:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks powerful enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMB2VR0087w
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 4th, 2015 at 6:00:45 AM permalink
rxwine
I see the cost of the Fukushima accident has been double the prediction. Now at 105 billion. Does that count against nuclear cost?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fukushima+cost
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 4th, 2015 at 8:40:47 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: rxwine
I see the cost of the Fukushima accident has been double the prediction. Now at 105 billion. Does that count against nuclear cost?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fukushima+cost

Of course it does. Works out to about 1 cent per KWH if we assume 1 similar accident every 10 years across world wide annual nuclear production. If you don't like my answer then adjust your computer model to get the answer you like. That is how climate science is to be done.
August 4th, 2015 at 9:03:45 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman

The difference between the flammable concentration range of hydrogen is 4% to 75%. The range for gasoline is 1.4% to 7.6%. This is the percent in the air at which they will ignite. Much narrow range for gasoline means it is inherently safer even though many of us have lit gasoline on fire with no problem.

The trillions that Chrysler is facing in their settlement for the Jeep gas tanks (and other issues) are based on 75 deaths from exploding gas tanks (some accidents were likely multiple deaths) so even fewer incidents over several years. What company would want to be the first to hope they had thought of every possibility as they put millions of hydrogen vehicles on the road.

Good point, thanks for that. When I wrecked my race car, I was at the time suffering a pretty decent fuel leak. There was quite the shower of sparks when the front wheel came off, yet there was no fire. I suppose had I been running H, the story might've had a different ending.

I suppose you could borrow from motorsports. If an F1 tub can remain uncompromised when hitting a concrete wall at 200mph surrounded by lightweight parts designed to break off, they should be able to make a similarly uncompromising shell around an H tank that's surrounded by 3,500lbs of steel. Of course, that would cause another problem - one of the super tanks being involved in an unrelated fire, like an accident with a typical car or a structure fire. I dunno how I'd feel if I had a reinforced tank full of explosives heating up in a conflagration.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 4th, 2015 at 11:43:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
Of course it does. Works out to about 1 cent per KWH if we assume 1 similar accident every 10 years across world wide annual nuclear production. If you don't like my answer then adjust your computer model to get the answer you like. That is how climate science is to be done.

I guess I should quibble with accidents as a cost. I have yet to be paid in a settlement where I thought, that made up for what happened or even the inconvenience.
August 10th, 2015 at 1:27:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Tesla hemorrhaging cash.

At what point does sanity take over and people realize this is not viable? I hold to my previous statements that they guy is selling stock, not cars. This has to crash sooner or later, maybe next year in September?
The President is a fink.
August 10th, 2015 at 2:07:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The gov't gave them 5bil and it's losing $4000
on every car they sell? Nice way to run
a business.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 10th, 2015 at 2:16:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
The gov't gave them 5bil and it's losing $4000
on every car they sell? Nice way to run
a business.

It is not a business, it is a crony scheme. When it crashes I will be here to say "I told you so" to all those with TB.
The President is a fink.
August 10th, 2015 at 5:55:55 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: rxwine
I guess I should quibble with accidents as a cost. I have yet to be paid in a settlement where I thought, that made up for what happened or even the inconvenience.

If accidents aren't a cost what are they? Accidents will always happen, the goal is 0 accidents but it can never be reached. If we make the cost of an accident so high that it can bankrupt any company than no one will risk any or their capital anymore.

It sounds like you have been paid multiple settlements. Have you been that unlucky or just trying to get lucky?