The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

September 19th, 2015 at 6:19:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yeah, I usually let a plate or knife fall. Impulses can kill you. grab for something. sometimes the worst that can happen is your grab is fast enough.

sometimes a side hustle involves specialized equipment or specialized knowledge and its just the ability to handle bees, live wires, chemicals, etc. that the client is paying for.
September 19th, 2015 at 9:06:07 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Turning stuff off/ breakers is best.

Quick reflexes got me shocked once.

You know, if something you don't want to fall, falls unexpectedly you make a grab at it. I knocked my lighting system into an aquarium and tried to grab it as it hit the water.

Bzzzzt!

Because of the way it happened I don't know if it's really possible to consciously stop yourself. I sometimes wonder if guys thinking they're too skilled to get shocked get electrocuted in similar situations because they ignore a simple safety procedure.

Fortunately it wasn't an appliance capable of roasting me.

The appliance was perfectly capable of electrocuting and killing you. Most houses would have both 120 and 240 volts in them, either voltage can kill you. Whether you get the shock from a small lamp cord or the large cable feeding your range is immaterial.

The key thing is if sufficient current goes through your heart and it stops. The amount of current required is measured in milliamps.

Most times when you get a shock you will inadvertently brush your hand or arm against a hot wire and some grounded metal at the same time, this shock is always 120 volts even if you were working on your welder. This shock also doesn't pass through your chest so will not kill you unless the fall from the ladder does. Of course the fall from the ladder will often restart your heart.

The danger from larger appliances and the breaker panel itself is from burns. The larger the breaker or fuse is that protects the circuit the more current can flow in a short circuit situation. If this current gets very large it will be just like an explosion and can cause significant burns to anybody near it.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 19th, 2015 at 10:17:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
The appliance was perfectly capable of electrocuting and killing you. Most houses would have both 120 and 240 volts in them, either voltage can kill you. Whether you get the shock from a small lamp cord or the large cable feeding your range is immaterial.

The key thing is if sufficient current goes through your heart and it stops. The amount of current required is measured in milliamps.

Most times when you get a shock you will inadvertently brush your hand or arm against a hot wire and some grounded metal at the same time, this shock is always 120 volts even if you were working on your welder. This shock also doesn't pass through your chest so will not kill you unless the fall from the ladder does. Of course the fall from the ladder will often restart your heart.

The danger from larger appliances and the breaker panel itself is from burns. The larger the breaker or fuse is that protects the circuit the more current can flow in a short circuit situation. If this current gets very large it will be just like an explosion and can cause significant burns to anybody near it.

Is it from the cord or the light socket? This would be rated for a 15 watts bulb.

Anyway, an electric fence manufacturer says 120 milliamps won't even kill a squirrel. It didn't feel dissimilar as I've touched those before.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 19th, 2015 at 2:22:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: rxwine
Is it from the cord or the light socket? This would be rated for a 15 watts bulb.

Anyway, an electric fence manufacturer says 120 milliamps won't even kill a squirrel. It didn't feel dissimilar as I've touched those before.

It is the 120 volt that is the key not the rating of the cord or the socket. The socket rating is based upon the heat the light bulb will create.

The current that goes through your body is based upon the voltage and the resistance of your body, the bodies connection to the hot point and ground and how good the ground connection is to earth.

"Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal current. While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal."

Courtesy of:

https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html
September 20th, 2015 at 3:59:59 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
That 220 I was talking about that I installed? For whatever reason, I decided to move it. I think it was just positioned upside down from the way the plug lied. So I just moved it.

Didn't even think of the breaker. Took the cap off, put a screwdriver in it....
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 20th, 2015 at 8:55:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
...The current that goes through your body is based upon the voltage and the resistance of your body, the bodies connection to the hot point and ground and how good the ground connection is to earth.
What kills a person is being in "series" with the electrical path, not whether or not that phase runs to ground. The distinction is not trivial.

Courtesy of:

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 21st, 2015 at 4:36:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Face

Didn't even think of the breaker. Took the cap off, put a screwdriver in it....

bakelite handle? Or just wooden?
September 27th, 2015 at 11:39:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Lie in bed for 70 days straight
Payout: $18,000

NASA will pay you to stay in bed for 70 days, 24 hours a day, to simulate some of the changes that an astronaut's body goes through in weightlessness during space flight. To apply for the bed rest study, fill out this form. If you think this sounds like an easy task, keep in mind that the selection committee is looking for participants that possess the physical and psychological traits of a real astronaut. Roni Cromwell, a senior scientist for the study told Forbes: "We want to make sure we select people who are mentally ready to spend 70 days in bed. Not everyone is comfortable with that. Not every type of person can tolerate an extended time in bed."

http://www.businessinsider.com/ways-to-make-money-from-medical-research-and-donations-2013-12
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2015 at 5:58:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: petroglyph
What kills a person is being in "series" with the electrical path, not whether or not that phase runs to ground. The distinction is not trivial.

Courtesy of:

If the your body contacts two different conductors it is sends current through your body. The voltage in this case would never be more than 240 volt in a residential application but the odds are it is still 120 volts, no different than touching one hot residential conductor and ground. If you want to talk about high voltage or industrial situations of course the sky is the limit.
September 28th, 2015 at 6:36:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
If the your body contacts two different conductors it is sends current through your body.

I'm told that there are some power lines that are simply too expensive to shut down and men work on them live. Well trained, reliable equipment and I assume very high pay.