The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

May 4th, 2016 at 11:07:23 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
How does "1-800-GOT-JUNK" work? Do they charge a flat fee per cubic foot or per pound to clean out your "junk"; or do they work on commission, charging less if your stuff has some resale value? If not, is there an opportunity to enter this market using the "fee less commission" model?
May 4th, 2016 at 11:15:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Ayecarumba
How does "1-800-GOT-JUNK" work? Do they charge a flat fee per cubic foot or per pound to clean out your "junk"; or do they work on commission, charging less if your stuff has some resale value? If not, is there an opportunity to enter this market using the "fee less commission" model?

They charge by volume. A lot of services on Craigslist offer to haul junk away for a very small amount and then they filter out what they can sell and take it to swap meets and second hand stores.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 4th, 2016 at 12:19:11 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: DRich
They charge by volume. A lot of services on Craigslist offer to haul junk away for a very small amount and then they filter out what they can sell and take it to swap meets and second hand stores.

Thanks. I guess it's back to the mine for me... Where did I put that pick?
May 4th, 2016 at 1:38:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
How would you keep the bums and prostitutes out? How do they do it in Australia? Flop houses have been around for centuries. It starts out well enough, but pretty soon the druggies will turn it into an opium den.
The whole idea is constant video surveillance and constant life in the fishbowl ... everyone gets rated. No one gets in without a prior registration and an online demonstration of their techie background. Drunks, slobs, snorers, druggies get weeded out by the techie entrance exam or the initial votes from their first visit or two.
May 4th, 2016 at 1:54:50 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Fleastiff
The whole idea is constant video surveillance and constant life in the fishbowl ... everyone gets rated. No one gets in without a prior registration and an online demonstration of their techie background. Drunks, slobs, snorers, druggies get weeded out by the techie entrance exam or the initial votes from their first visit or two.

Hmm, someone will need to watch the video, and probably another more muscular someone will need to toss out the ne'r do wells. What is the policy on "guests" of the tribe members staying over?
May 5th, 2016 at 11:31:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Those that operate already have a no guests policy and the type of people these places attract already live in a fishbowl of constant blogging and constant interaction, but one site manager can't cost all that much, although its a good point to raise.

I was more concerned about the economics of the concept in the Las Vegas market as opposed to the Techie Center markets of NYC, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and San Francisco/Oakland.
June 28th, 2016 at 10:03:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Seattle Hacker House near S. Lake Union/Capitol Hill area requires a minimum of a four day stay at 45.00 per night and uses one rent-free room for the House Captain who keeps things clean and orderly. Kitchen, laundry, bikes, dishes, etc. available. Reservations via Airbnb.
July 3rd, 2016 at 10:18:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Attention all DIYers and Side-Hustlers. Get thee familiar with Sugru. Adopt an Irish lilt while using it if you wish. Darling of Irish lasses and European crowd funding types.

If you have cable connection problems with your laptop computer: Sugru to the rescue.
July 3rd, 2016 at 10:45:32 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I'm currently, among other things, using fiverr.com to get customers who want quizzes written and research done. Though the base price is $5 a job (which is hardly worth it when they take 20% as an arrangement fee), I've scored a couple of bigger jobs, including writing 300 questions on a variety of subjects, for $300. Which is working out around $25-$30/hour.

Not too shabby. Especially when earning in USD...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 27th, 2016 at 4:55:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Slashdot has argument of term 'side hustle' as everything from second job, hobby, lifeline amidst layoff prone job market, only hope to escape cubicles or only hope to escape low paying burger flipper jobs while saddled with college debt.