The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

July 27th, 2016 at 8:18:58 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: TheCesspit
I'm currently, among other things, using fiverr.com to get customers who want quizzes written and research done. Though the base price is $5 a job (which is hardly worth it when they take 20% as an arrangement fee), I've scored a couple of bigger jobs, including writing 300 questions on a variety of subjects, for $300. Which is working out around $25-$30/hour.

Not too shabby. Especially when earning in USD...

This turned into 1800 questions to be written. I know now more than I ever though I could about Chinese Basketball. Written over 1050 questions now for that gig, and payment is processing through. Is working out not a bad hourly rate.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 27th, 2016 at 9:15:29 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: TheCesspit
This turned into 1800 questions to be written. I know now more than I ever though I could about Chinese Basketball. Written over 1050 questions now for that gig, and payment is processing through. Is working out not a bad hourly rate.

Wow, 1050 questions on Chinese Basketball. I couldn't write that many questions on American basketball. It sounds like a good side job.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 27th, 2016 at 10:23:23 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
Wow, 1050 questions on Chinese Basketball. I couldn't write that many questions on American basketball. It sounds like a good side job.

Only 300 on Chinese Basketball... :) 300 on Spanish Football (which isn't too bad). 300 on general Chinese sports is proving the hardest so far.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 18th, 2016 at 5:55:37 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
How about ...

Bullet proofing boats for re-sale in the Pacific Northwest?

Many boats in Washington and Alaskan waters succumb to "floaters", logs and other floating debris that can easily hole an ordinary boat. That is why Ferro Cement boats are valued there. They are heavy but rugged enough to survive impact with a forty foot log.

Is there a viable market for rugged boats in Alaskan waters that does not exist in tropical waters where the only 'floaters' are an occasional beer can or naked sun bather.
September 20th, 2016 at 6:01:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
SUCCESS.

I've posted in the past a bit about a young guy from Western Australia who encountered three battling Italians and picked up their sailboat on the cheap, sailed it from Italy to Greece, learning about sandbars and rudders enroute, met a young Australian girl who was singing for her supper in a Greek club and asked her on the spot to come sail around the world with him (failing to fully explain to her that although he now owned a sailboat he was just learning to sail one).

They went on YouTube to get supporters who would send them some money to buy things like food or minor repairs and wound up with such a following that various marine companies started to sponsor them which of course brought them more you tube followers.

After 3 years of sailing the world together.... SUCCESS. They will shortly be taking delivery of a 42 foot multimillion dollar catamaran (no more heeled over galley). And will continue their nautical adventures at an even higher speed over the water than they ever imagined.

ON-EDIT: I did not mean to imply that it took three years for them to obtain success. They were happy and free and a fun loving couple all during their travels. The three years of adventures and travel and culinary delights were success of in themselves. The following of adventurers that they developed were friends and electronic friends. Its just that in addition to the girl's singing, dancing, swimming and narration of the weekly show she is also the onboard head chef. Sailboats usually heel when underway even in a light wind and she is now ecstatic about the impending ability to cook on a level stove. He seized an opportunity to buy a boat from three waring partners even though he didn't sail; she embarked on a life with a man she had met only two hours before. That was their success. Its simply continued and three years later they have a multi million dolllar 42 meter catamaran with a dishwasher, a laundry and dryer machine, and most of all,,, a level galley.

So I should say its CONTINUED success. Fair winds and following sea to them.
October 13th, 2016 at 1:47:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Saw a truck in the supermarket parking lot: golf cart repair. Mobile repair of golfcarts: its not just golf courses but housing developments, maintenance companies, etc. since in Florida alot of retirement communities use golf courts for general transportation to restaurants, doctors offices, etc.
October 18th, 2016 at 7:41:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Seems to be a growing market in the No/Low Alcohol activities segment.

First time I ever sang And The Auld Triangle Went Jingle Jangle while sober much less while everyone in the room was sober.
October 24th, 2016 at 5:51:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Fleastiff
SUCCESS. ,,, So I should say its CONTINUED success. Fair winds and following sea to them.

Just to let you know how inexperienced a sailor he was, he just found out he had sailed half way 'round the world with his sail put on backwards. He didn't even know. Yet he has not worked for three years and now has an almost two million dollar yacht that he owns free and clear.
November 12th, 2016 at 5:22:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
For those who were considering mushrooms..............

PBS has special on America Reframed airing in about an hour...

Study of Former Special Forces sniper in Vietnam and former VC sniper in Vietnam each winding up in the wild camps of central Oregon where the Orientals are often considered to rape the forrest but Americans are considered to leave enough to regenerate the forrest.

I've not seen the show so I don't know if the emphasis is on the social aspects or economic aspects.
December 24th, 2016 at 3:20:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Fishermen: Bottle and sell a Fish Sauce no smell no fishiness taste.

drop the guts, gills, bones, heads, and scales from fifty trout into a bucket with 12% salt, wait seven months, decant into bottles, label and sell.