The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

December 24th, 2016 at 3:29:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Fish sauce? What do you do with it? Certainly it's not a condiment...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 24th, 2016 at 4:55:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
Maybe Nareed will chime in ... she knows all about culinary stuff like condominiums. Actually its used in food preparation and as a condiment particularly a dipping sauce in many Far Eastern cuisines. Was popular in Europe long long ago but no longer.

All I know is they are three to five dollars a bottle and to a fisherman the ingredients I posted are free. So you make it, bottle it, label it, .... and sell it for three to five dollars.

Obviously there are some expenses involved but bottles, corks, and labels are not all that expensive and for a fisherman all the ingredients are totally free. A simple bottling machine is cheap indeed that is why so many people were put out of work when it was invented and riots became common.
January 22nd, 2017 at 1:51:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
How about offering classes, such as The Believers Prayer for a Dog Bite or the Believer's Prayer for Tooth Worm? The classes would not be in Arabic but in the original Uzbek Would there be sufficient interest to charge fifty dollars for the class or do you think it would be better to charge only ten dollars and offer to recite the prayer on their behalf?
January 22nd, 2017 at 8:17:52 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Why not teach black history classes, Swahili & Remedial Swahili ? The course language would be Ebonics.
January 22nd, 2017 at 9:38:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I think you meant core language.
Most of the areas that produced slaves for the slave trade would have spoken Urdu not Swahilii, but I'm glad you went along with my little joke.
By the way, I do not speak Uzbek and doubt anyone would ever pay me even one cent to recite an ancient prayer of a traveller bit by a dog. I was just trying to reinvigorate this thread a bit.
January 23rd, 2017 at 6:08:46 AM permalink
Mooseton
Threads: 0
Quote: Face

Homemade fish sauce sounds pretty awful. Some of my Asian friends showed me how to make a spicy sauce with the store shelf stuff:
Chop a couple Thai peppers up finely, same for a bundle of cilantro, put in a Tupperware container, add half fish sauce/half water (err however much to your liking).
Mix it up and done. Goes best for dipping meats like brats or pork chops into served with rice. Goes bad really fast though, won't be as good tomorrow, and garbage the day after that.

If the cilantro would somehow stay good I swear the sauce could make a mint bottling it up and selling it. It's pretty damn good. But mostly because it's Fresh cilantro.
March 6th, 2017 at 2:18:06 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
NASA will pay you thousands of dollars to lay in bed. I think I am qualified for this job, having had lots of practice when I was supposed to be going to my college classes.
April 19th, 2017 at 9:11:38 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I've posted about people who sail around the world financed by their blog readers or people who drive around the world finaced by blog readers. There are even people who search for buried treasure financed by their blog readers.

I happened to post the link in the DIY thread but want to post here the link that involves an article in New Yorker that deals with Vanlife and the phenomenon of "micro-influencers" in a market of alternative lifestyle advertising as a phenomenon arising out of an economy that no longer offers much hope. Cubicle workers and Convenience Store workers are abandoning their dead-end, high stress jobs for the more-entrepreneurial and therefore more risky alternative of marketing "freedom" and "courage" to those who lack the ability to take the plunge themselves.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/vanlife-the-bohemian-social-media-movement

I think its a choice of poverty with freedom and hope rather than a life of near poverty with no freedom and no hope. Be a bum on a boat in Panama versus being a boothling somewhere in the USA. And if your boat happens to sink on your way to Panama and you die young, well at least you died free rather than having a parasitic economy suck the life out of you over the course of several decades.
April 19th, 2017 at 9:34:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
I've posted about people who sail around the world financed by their blog readers or people who drive around the world finaced by blog readers. There are even people who search for buried treasure financed by their blog readers.

I happened to post the link in the DIY thread but want to post here the link that involves an article in New Yorker that deals with Vanlife and the phenomenon of "micro-influencers" in a market of alternative lifestyle advertising as a phenomenon arising out of an economy that no longer offers much hope. Cubicle workers and Convenience Store workers are abandoning their dead-end, high stress jobs for the more-entrepreneurial and therefore more risky alternative of marketing "freedom" and "courage" to those who lack the ability to take the plunge themselves.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/vanlife-the-bohemian-social-media-movement

We are in an era when you can do this. People love to read about someone doing what they wish they could do. See my own blog posts on craps school. That was just a small few, but next to zero effort on my part. You need some creative skills to make the mundane exciting. Then you need to figure how to monetize it. I keep wishing I had the web skills and patience to do it because I could write the stories to make a cubicle dweller forget their own life a few minutes a day.
The President is a fink.
April 19th, 2017 at 10:40:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
I keep wishing I had the web skills and patience to do it because I could write the stories to make a cubicle dweller forget their own life a few minutes a day.
Web skills can be purchased for awhile as you develop better skills. Patience is "purchased" rather easily too... you find patience comes when you drive to the bank with all your profits.

I wonder how many embark in a rickety old boat with a video camera, a dog and a broad but soon sink? After all that Australian guy who recently got a million dollar yacht and a great contract from the builder did run his boat across well-marked rocks on his very first voyage, never having even considered water depth or looking at a chart.

The three young adventurers who years ago bought a rickety old sailboat and went wandering arond the Caribbean did sail into a state of 'no food, no water, no money' but now they are: a world famous cryptographer, a wealthy and talented wedding photographer and a very happy botanist. Boldness helps but I guess luck plays a role.