The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

Page 3 of 26<123456>Last »
May 3rd, 2015 at 3:34:01 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Every product I've tried were all missing the same ingredient,,,,elbow grease.

I have an old f-250 and I am surprised light can even escape the light enclosure, it is almost milky.

I have tried 3 different miracle remedies, as the replacement [last I checked] was a buck forty, each. Shoot that is almost 3 hundred for two. That is what I use to pay for entire auto's.

Bring back sealed beam. Does anyone remember Fords slogan "Ford has a better idea"? I wonder what it was?

As to the OT, side hustle, clearing those light assemblies.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 3rd, 2015 at 3:50:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Every product I've tried were all missing the same ingredient,,,,elbow grease.

I think the key is a two-step process. As Face said, sand down the pits but also the oxidation. Then wax to build the surface up.

As to the OT, side hustle, clearing those light assemblies.

The market would seem to me to be used car lots so you could do a dozen at a sitting.
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2015 at 3:58:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Are you talking about cleaning headlight
lenses? I use rubbing compound. Apply it
with a damp cloth and rub it in good. Wipe
clean and you'll be amazed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 3rd, 2015 at 5:56:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
I think the key is a two-step process. As Face said, sand down the pits but also the oxidation.
That I think is the only remedy without replacing the headlight assemblies, which I'm not willing to do.

Quote:
The market would seem to me to be used car lots so you could do a dozen at a sitting.
This makes me wonder? If there are thousands and thousands of these opaque headlight assembly's sitting around, there may not be a cure?
May 3rd, 2015 at 6:06:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Are you talking about cleaning headlight
lenses? I use rubbing compound. Apply it
with a damp cloth and rub it in good. Wipe
clean and you'll be amazed.
The first thing I tried was some two part product I think it was armor all. Rub it on, rub it off, rinse repeat. No satisfaction on my part.

The second thing I tried was I have an auto=buffer/ low speed polisher. I used rubbing compound and worked it what I consider properly. It got a little better, but not clear like new ones. IDK maybe plastic has gotten better quality since mine was manufactured, but to me it is doubtful.

The third thing I tried was some young guy was going door to door selling some miracle orange based cleaner. He said it cured common colds, musty holes and made child birth a pleasure.

So I said, show me. Try these headlights. He went out and did one, rubbed round and round rinsed and said "see, isn't that a lot bettter"? I said it looks just like the other one, do it, so he did, and asked for five bucks. I appreciated his guts in going door to door trying to sell stuff. I gave him five bucks, and didn't buy any of the miracle cleaner.

The last I read was something like Face said, I didn't remember the grit size but I thought it was only around 900? I am afraid if I try sanding it and it comes out worse, I will be down at the local Napa ordering new ones and since they downsized, I will have to wait a day for them to come in. I should have replaced the bulb today but had other duties, I will look carefully at the lense again.

Thanks
May 3rd, 2015 at 8:33:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
900 will scratch the crap out of it.
Rubbing compound always works
for me. It depends on the quality
of the plastic, though.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 4th, 2015 at 2:47:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
900 will scratch the crap out of it.
Rubbing compound always works
for me. It depends on the quality
of the plastic, though.

I told my dad this but he insists polishing compound is good enough.

The thing to remember is they are never going to look "new" again. The plastic is oxidizing the whole way thru. So you can sand down the pits and such, but the color is changing throughout the entire thickness.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2015 at 9:57:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
Pfft. Everyone throws them out and buys a new one now

This was Face's response to prior post on Gypsy Knife Sharpeners.

Now maybe we are talking of different neighborhoods and economic areas but New Mexico hippies just had a Knife Sharpening Workshop at Twenty Five Dollars per participant. And I recall a recent one in California at about the same price.

So somewhere there might still be work for an itinerant edge sharpener part of the year.
May 12th, 2015 at 11:54:30 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Fleastiff
Creativeness in rural areas is good

Some additional ideas for Side Hustles:

Critter Removal...saw a sign about wildlife trappers for pigs, possums and badgers.

VeggieOil Seller to Passing Hippies
Waste Vegetable Oil processed into bio diesel supposedly in good for the environment and those hippie types are environmental obsessed, so you sell then biodiesel. Last price I saw quoted was two years ago: thirty gallons at two dollars a gallon. There are websites that you can get mapped onto if you are near a major highway.

Yanmar Diesel Repair Tech.
All the really cheap yachts bought by hippies seem to have Yanmar diesels in them.
June 3rd, 2015 at 4:02:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
More proof that the day-job is becoming the "hustle." Limbaugh is negative on it, but I do not really see why.

In other news, if you like dogs, you could be in business. Getting propane behind a mobile dog groomer. Asked the normal "how's business" question and she said they will not even take new clients right now. They had a super set-up with a 1-ton van and cap with all kinds of equipment so you would be looking at $50-100K. But I would figure revenue of $100K after a person got established.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 26<123456>Last »