The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

November 6th, 2017 at 11:20:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A Brooklyn food broker has been jailed for eighteen months for mis-using his Maine elver license to ship eels to Japan at high profit.

Since eels can only be shipped from Maine and South Carolina, I wonder if it would be possible to intercept eals in the Sargasso Sea. The regulations protect natural resources which to me means eels that arrive in the USA under their own volition.
November 6th, 2017 at 11:43:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
... according to the King James version of the Old Testament, it is acceptable to eat fin fish, but fish like eels, which were erroneously believed to lack fins or scales, are an abomination and should not be eaten. Japan consumes more than 70 percent of the global eel catch.

Never had any eel.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 21st, 2017 at 5:31:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
If eels are so valuable but not exportable from the USA except under extreme enforcement, what about a high seas eel raising venture? What would it cost to raise eels beyond the twelve mile limit? Get some old tub and pay some old geezer who is on the lam to tend your eels?
November 21st, 2017 at 5:39:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
If eels are so valuable but not exportable from the USA except under extreme enforcement, what about a high seas eel raising venture? What would it cost to raise eels beyond the twelve mile limit? Get some old tub and pay some old geezer who is on the lam to tend your eels?

Could you just do it in Central America or some island?
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2017 at 5:47:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Shitan Central Market. Hugely unpopular manager kills eel vendor in argument over new fees he has levied but claims he merely slipped while carrying an eel gutting knife.
November 21st, 2017 at 7:56:34 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
Could you just do it in Central America or some island?
An excellent thought but I fear that some offshore Panama island with a central lagoon would be too high temperature, too polluted and once some money-grubbing El Jefe learned of the business you would be met by an open and very itchy palm.

I recall one woman who worked for twelve years owning a pub in the UK and invested her life's savings in an eco-tourism island in Panama but during a storm someone stole their launch for its outboard motor and they were stranded.
December 13th, 2017 at 9:55:12 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Filthy Riches.

The title of a TV show on:
alligator hunters
Worm diggers
eel catchers
mushroom hunters.

Maine, Vermont, New York, Louisianna.

Each episode does snippets on each unusual occupation.
December 13th, 2017 at 9:56:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Filthy Riches.

The title of a TV show on:
alligator hunters
Worm diggers
eel catchers
mushroom hunters.

Maine, Vermont, New York, Louisianna.

Each episode does snippets on each unusual occupation.

These types of shows
What interests me is
Meteorite hunters
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 13th, 2017 at 10:00:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: terapined
What interests me is Meteorite hunters
Never heard of meteorite hunting. I do know that at one time some scientific body denounced the entire concept of rocks falling from the sky. I guess you sell meteors to a broker somewhere.
December 13th, 2017 at 10:25:49 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
These types of shows
What interests me is
Meteorite hunters
Hook up with SuperRick at wov, that's one of his hobbies. That is more popular than most realize out this way.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW