The Discomfort Thread

Page 1 of 191234>Last »
May 5th, 2015 at 3:04:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I figured "discomfort" would be better than strictly "pain". After all, poison ivy doesn't hurt a lick, but I damn sure want some advice when I run through a nasty patch of it =)

So here it is. Does it hurt where they removed a foot of your colon from that Mosin round you took in 'Nam? Do you ache after going down the "up" escalator on a unicycle while juggling? Do you need the best way to remove a stubborn splinter, or is your elbow inside out and you dunno what to do about it? Here's the thread where all of your ailments have a place to be discussed and diagnosed by a handful of random men and maybe a lady or two, all whom have too much time on their hands =)

The doctor is [IN]. Who's the first patient? =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 5th, 2015 at 5:08:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I'll jump in the pool.

I've historically had two issues. Tooth pain and kidney pain. The tooth pain is mostly gone because my teeth have almost all been root-canaled away. Best thing for this I have done is take some grain alcohol and let it soak on the affected area, meanwhile use some motrin. Not the best at all but for something minor it helps.

Kidney stones is the longer term issue. Comes up every 12-18 months. These are rough, the pain comes from deep in the body. This means you cannot just put some heat on it. I do have a neat thing filled with beans or something that you heat up and it does a little, but doesn't solve it. Popping 800mg of ibuprofen helps but I really hate taking that many as I know it is not the best.

So doc, aside from trying to find a doc who will write me 10 vike pills when this happens, any ideas?
The President is a fink.
May 5th, 2015 at 5:22:29 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was the doctor. Hell, most of my advice is likely to be "rub some dirt in it and walk that s#$% off" lol.

Sit tight. Someone will be with you shortly.

I guess we need some magazines for this place....
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 5th, 2015 at 5:43:21 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: AZDuffman
I'll jump in the pool.

I've historically had two issues. Tooth pain and kidney pain. The tooth pain is mostly gone because my teeth have almost all been root-canaled away. Best thing for this I have done is take some grain alcohol and let it soak on the affected area, meanwhile use some motrin. Not the best at all but for something minor it helps.

Kidney stones is the longer term issue. Comes up every 12-18 months. These are rough, the pain comes from deep in the body. This means you cannot just put some heat on it. I do have a neat thing filled with beans or something that you heat up and it does a little, but doesn't solve it. Popping 800mg of ibuprofen helps but I really hate taking that many as I know it is not the best.

So doc, aside from trying to find a doc who will write me 10 vike pills when this happens, any ideas?

I am not a doctor. I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. From a recent discussion with my posse of middle aged poker buddies, the consensus is that you should ask your doctor about Flowmax. Some have called it a great example of 'better peeing through chemistry"
May 5th, 2015 at 5:48:19 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The first liar hasn't got a chance
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 5th, 2015 at 6:02:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Popping 800mg of ibuprofen helps but I really hate taking that many as I know it is not the best.

800 is the same as taking 1 script tab
of IBU. It's 4 regular strength tabs.
My pharmacist says don't exceed
1600mg a day.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2015 at 7:22:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Kidney stones is the longer term issue. Comes up every 12-18 months.
Insufficient fluids? Do you regularly take items such as Spinach or tea or other items known to be high in oxalate.

Do you have an untreated urinary tract infection?

Do you have melamine utensils or did you get caught up in some of the recent melamine contaminated foodstuff from China scares?
May 6th, 2015 at 3:32:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Wow, I did have a tooth pain scare. Had a couple of wisdom teeth out recently [how dumb is it to put that off till your 60's?] and the readjustment to my jaw evidently kicked in again months later ... the pain was awesome. I didn't know what would be next. All better now.

I've heard it said kidney stones are worse than any possible tooth pain by several orders of magnitude. Can't imagine it. This stuff can turn me into a baby. I used to say I take pain pretty well compared to most people, but I've decided there are certain types I knew little about that can turn anybody into an infant.

Stay tuned for my post on back pain.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 6th, 2015 at 5:14:33 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I'll jump in the pool.

See a urologist and find out what kind of stones you are having. I used to get stones every 8 months or so, calcium oxalate. I now take potassium citrate and I've had one stone in the past 10 years, and I didn't know it until it passed, none of that deep pain.
May 6th, 2015 at 7:23:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mosca
See a urologist and find out what kind of stones you are having. I used to get stones every 8 months or so, calcium oxalate. I now take potassium citrate and I've had one stone in the past 10 years, and I didn't know it until it passed, none of that deep pain.

Done that. Lots of generic suggestions. It is just something I have to deal with. Luckily they have been rare the past 3-4 years.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 191234>Last »