The Discomfort Thread

May 20th, 2015 at 12:20:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
I've been watching for the bullseye. So far, nothing.

But it f#$%ing hurts. Hurts even more today than yesterday. It really does feel like I took a slap shot to the ankle. The brush burn pain is completely gone, but that bruise pain is fresh as ever. Weird.

Maybe it got a muscle or tendon. If
it was just flesh, it wouldn't hurt that
much, just itch.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2015 at 12:37:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Passed another kidney stone yesterday. It cannot be described how much better it feels when it has passed.

In your kidney it just hurts. Mine do not hurt as bad then as they used to. I may just be getting used to it, I have learned that 4 Ibus is the same as the 800mg dose the doctor writes and as long as you do not get carried away it can do the trick, and I have a neat thing filled with beans or something that you microwave to give steady heat. A gift from my mom it was, after I gave her the same thing years ago. Actually forgot I gave it to her, used it and it was great. Now I have my own.

Anyways, after it starts to pass is when the adventure begins. The buggers are round and about the size of a cherry seed. Without graphically going into urology let me explain what happens. As some of you know, a check valve is little more than a ball that moves one way until it meets resistance, shutting off a flow. That is what the things do. So you have to take a leak, and can't really. Feels like glass inside you at the same time feels like you are trying to pas a Volkswagen thru your system.

Then "pop" and it comes out. Then you are near back to normal, after 24 or so hours of healing back to normal. But man, the body was not made for this.
The President is a fink.
May 20th, 2015 at 12:49:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: odiousgambit
*Likewise Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, much less likely but much worse to get

Quote:
Early signs and symptoms of Rocky Mountain spotted fever include severe headache and high fever. A few days later, a rash usually appears on the wrists and ankles

Responds well to early treatment. Pretty sure Face has mentioned migraines. Better check your temp if you get one soon just to make sure.

Late treatment for that is where you get in serious trouble.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 20th, 2015 at 12:49:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
3 things about ticks:

*Is Lyme disease endemic in your area? If so or not, that is important.

*Likewise Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, much less likely but much worse to get

*if you know you got the tick off pretty soon after it bit, that's 99% of it for any of these

and for Lyme disease, per CDC, pretty detailed map

PS: recently they figured out there is a species of mice that is key to Lyme disease spread

Beware the CDC. They have such high standards before declaring something to be Lyme. Same with chronic fatigue and Incline Village, Lake Tahoe. Lyme may be the most effective zoonosis in the world but CDC refuses to acknowledge it is in Texas. Its multi vector and if the CDC does not officially recognize something as a vector then they say it can't be the same disease.
May 20th, 2015 at 1:15:06 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Responds well to early treatment. Pretty sure Face has mentioned migraines. Better check your temp if you get one soon just to make sure.

Late treatment for that is where you get in serious trouble.

I can tell the difference between a ripping headache and a migraine. As far as temp, I just snap switched from going to bed at 5a to getting up at 5a. I'm hot and cold and sweaty and clammy all damn day now XD

Pretty sure there's no warnings for either being pandemic currently. That type of stuff isn't ever anything I keep up on (on account of being invulnerable to all diseases), but my activities and lifestyle expose me to places who would have such postings and notices to BOLO. Rabies, VHS, Lyme, doesn't matter if it's human or not, I'm pretty well exposed to any literature on pathogens.

I'm sure I'll be fine. Really, I just can't believe how much it hurts. It's a bug bite, not blunt force trauma =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 20th, 2015 at 1:25:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face

I'm sure I'll be fine. Really, I just can't believe how much it hurts. It's a bug bite, not blunt force trauma =p

Are you sure the head is out? It's sounds
like it might be infected.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2015 at 1:39:04 PM permalink
Face
T'ain't infected. Only happened not even 48hrs ago. It's not even hardly red, let alone purple and inflamed. It's just a tiny red dot with a barely perceptible bump. No surrounding redness, no radiating heat, nothing. And it itched originally, so I picked it open and squeezed it out. No head in there.
May 20th, 2015 at 1:49:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
They say the only method for removing
a tick is pulling it out. None of the old ways,
like putting Vaseline or anything on it, are
good anymore. They all lead to infection,
especially using a match head.
May 20th, 2015 at 2:22:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What, in nature, eats ticks?
May 20th, 2015 at 2:33:01 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Fleastiff
What, in nature, eats ticks?

Anything that eats bugs, I imagine. Pretty sure their only defense is camouflage. Monkeys eat them, birds eat them... I suppose if one were to crawl past a frog or snake, they'd eat them, too.