Page 16 of 19« First<13141516171819>
June 10th, 2015 at 12:05:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Quote: rxwine
This is for Duffman.

here

Did you happen to read the link in the story? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/3545733/China-milk-scandal-Families-of-sick-children-fight-to-find-out-true-scale-of-the-problem.html

The Melamine seems to be throughout the food chain and is a medical disaster. Do you recall the melamine that was shipped here in pet food and killed dogs and cats? My friend swears that is what killed his cat.

The China miracle that so many rave about will haunt everyone for a very long time. I do my best to not eat anything sourced from that part of the world, until your article I didn't know it could also be in red meat.

There was a story on TV a few weeks back about fakes (like Crest toothpaste fake) being so good, the only way you know the difference is a really low price.
Then they talked about finding traces of anti-freeze in Crest fakes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 11th, 2015 at 9:17:46 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
What have they said? Pfft. I hardly know. It's been a tough road. Part of that is my fault, but the rest...

I probably went to the docs 4 or 5 times before anything was done. It was always "ibuprofen and rest and warm compresses". MF'er, do you think I would be here if it was that simple? I'm not really one to suffer fools or waste time now. 24yr old Face was much, much less patient. It wasn't until the 5th or 6th time until I finally ran into my government approved drug dealer. He hits me with the vikes, and miracle of miracles, I finally had days where I didn't hurt. Of course, as I have said, that doesn't last forever. Tolerance is a bitch.

So I returned and returned and returned again. After about 4 more times of just being sent home with pills, I started asking for different docs. Both, right in a row, told me to stop. That's it, just stop. I was a two sport athlete (3 if you count freestyle motocross) and they just told me to stop. I was 24/25, and everything I was, they told me to stop. I was furious. I had been given no tests, no one could even tell me what was wrong, and their answer was to basically end my entire being. So F it, gimme the pills. What other choice did I have? Effing doctors. That still boils my blood, some ten years later.

So after a few years, I got sent to the chiro. Quackery, maybe, but I needed some options. It was causing actual depression, being crippled at the rip old age of 25. The processes was easy and painless physically, but they said it's a cumulative process and I needed to attend three times a week for at least 6 months. That was some $400 a month, man! Weren't no way. So we compromised and I came regularly, but not as often. Day of adjustment, totally fine, no change. The day after, like I got hit by a truck and dragged three quarters a mile down a cobblestone road. Just agony, in every joint I had and more that I didn't even know I owned. And after some 8 sessions or so, I thought I noticed an improvement on about the third day post adjustment. And the day after that, right back to no change. It wasn't worth the money, the pain, hell, it wasn't worth the 15 minutes out of my life for relief that fleeting. So I stopped going after about 4 months.

Finally, I got sent to the Buffalo center for sports science, the guys that worked on that Bill what broke his neck on the field. They guaranteed relief, they were the best of the best. I got my MRI which showed the squashed disks. I went two or three times, each time they just reviewed the film. And I started getting pissed again. WTF you need me here for? YOU look. Figure it out. Then call me ONCE, and tell me the deal. Christ, but I hate medics. They basically said what has been squashed cannot be unsquashed. It'll just get worse and worse until you are finally forced to stop, and then maybe surgery will be on the table. For now, surgery was out of the question. Best I could do is f#$%ing anti inflammatories and rest. Right back where we started. The only other option was rehab, as perhaps building up my core would give it more support and provide relief. And that I never did. I found my own ways to deal with it.

So it's just broke and ain't no way to fix it. Like a bad U-joint, it'll just be bad until it finally goes. Nothing to do but keep on motoring until it does. So that's what I do.

As far as infection, doubt it. I'm not all that learned on that stuff, but I've no reason to suspect it. And anyways, it's just pain. It can't last forever =p

Face,

There's a place down here called Deuk Spinal Institute. They are fantastic with that type of injury, and they do it with surgical intervention at the point of injury, mostly laproscopic, whether it's rebuilding discs or vertebrae or disabling nerves if you're structurally sound but in pain. My mom was in pain for 25 years, including surgery for fused discs, and she finally got pain free about 8 years ago with them; it was just minor surgery, and she has full range of motion without pain. They claim there's an answer for everyone, and none of it involves masking pain with drugs.

http://www.deuklaserspine.com/

They will review your records and scans for free and tell you if they can help you. Or you can call me and I'll have you talk to my mom for direct information. She's sent several friends there with good results.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 11th, 2015 at 9:31:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
The China miracle that so many rave about will haunt everyone for a very long time..

Contaminated milk, contaminated particle board that renders an entire house worthless, and of course all those plastic bottles for water from grocery stores, why you know that the paper work on them is just fine. As to the reality of the situation? Who knows. The Chinese do not have whistle blower laws.
June 15th, 2015 at 4:24:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs

Face,

There's a place down here called Deuk Spinal Institute. They are fantastic with that type of injury, and they do it with surgical intervention at the point of injury, mostly laproscopic, whether it's rebuilding discs or vertebrae or disabling nerves if you're structurally sound but in pain. My mom was in pain for 25 years, including surgery for fused discs, and she finally got pain free about 8 years ago with them; it was just minor surgery, and she has full range of motion without pain. They claim there's an answer for everyone, and none of it involves masking pain with drugs.

They will review your records and scans for free and tell you if they can help you. Or you can call me and I'll have you talk to my mom for direct information. She's sent several friends there with good results.

Next gap year I can knock out back surgery and pilot's license in one go ;)

I can't bring myself to that point yet, for several reasons. Most obvious of course is lack of insurance. But even when I get covered, I think I'd have a bunch of hurdles to overcome. Getting hopes up, risk of surgery, putting my eggs in the cure basket again... I won't lie, it'll take a lot to get me to consider anything again.

But thanks for the input. Just knowing there's something gives me something to lean on during the dark times.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 15th, 2015 at 11:01:00 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

I can't bring myself to that point yet, for several reasons. Most obvious of course is lack of insurance. But even when I get covered, I think I'd have a bunch of hurdles to overcome. Getting hopes up, risk of surgery, putting my eggs in the cure basket again... I won't lie, it'll take a lot to get me to consider anything again.

But thanks for the input. Just knowing there's something gives me something to lean on during the dark times.

Well, it's the cost of postage to send your records and scan for a free evaluation; maybe even not that if it can be transmitted electronically. I've been to their seminar, and they're not kidding about this (not trying to sucker you in for a bunch of unnecessary crap) . Might be worth them telling you what they see and what it would cost to fix it. They claim to go for the minimally invasive route whenever possible. If they just go in and kill the nerves with a needle because the damage is not progressive or something (I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV!), might only be a grand or so. And you'd be off the painkillers.

Yeah, c'mon down for that pilot license. We have room. :)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 17th, 2015 at 11:12:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff

I can't bring myself to that point yet, for several reasons. Most obvious of course is lack of insurance.e

As a student pilot your insurance will One Million in liability for about fifty dollars a year. Yeah!! Real Cheap.

Its not always a matter of your getting your hopes up for feeling better, it can getting ready for proving those earlier quacks wrong.
July 30th, 2015 at 12:15:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: beachbumbabs
What have they said? Pfft. I hardly know. It's been a tough road. Part of that is my fault, but the rest...

I probably went to the docs 4 or 5 times before anything was done. It was always "ibuprofen and rest and warm compresses". MF'er, do you think I would be here if it was that simple? I'm not really one to suffer fools or waste time now. 24yr old Face was much, much less patient. It wasn't until the 5th or 6th time until I finally ran into my government approved drug dealer. He hits me with the vikes, and miracle of miracles, I finally had days where I didn't hurt. Of course, as I have said, that doesn't last forever. Tolerance is a bitch.

So I returned and returned and returned again. After about 4 more times of just being sent home with pills, I started asking for different docs. Both, right in a row, told me to stop. That's it, just stop. I was a two sport athlete (3 if you count freestyle motocross) and they just told me to stop. I was 24/25, and everything I was, they told me to stop. I was furious. I had been given no tests, no one could even tell me what was wrong, and their answer was to basically end my entire being. So F it, gimme the pills. What other choice did I have? Effing doctors. That still boils my blood, some ten years later.

So after a few years, I got sent to the chiro. Quackery, maybe, but I needed some options. It was causing actual depression, being crippled at the rip old age of 25. The processes was easy and painless physically, but they said it's a cumulative process and I needed to attend three times a week for at least 6 months. That was some $400 a month, man! Weren't no way. So we compromised and I came regularly, but not as often. Day of adjustment, totally fine, no change. The day after, like I got hit by a truck and dragged three quarters a mile down a cobblestone road. Just agony, in every joint I had and more that I didn't even know I owned. And after some 8 sessions or so, I thought I noticed an improvement on about the third day post adjustment. And the day after that, right back to no change. It wasn't worth the money, the pain, hell, it wasn't worth the 15 minutes out of my life for relief that fleeting. So I stopped going after about 4 months.

Finally, I got sent to the Buffalo center for sports science, the guys that worked on that Bill what broke his neck on the field. They guaranteed relief, they were the best of the best. I got my MRI which showed the squashed disks. I went two or three times, each time they just reviewed the film. And I started getting pissed again. WTF you need me here for? YOU look. Figure it out. Then call me ONCE, and tell me the deal. Christ, but I hate medics. They basically said what has been squashed cannot be unsquashed. It'll just get worse and worse until you are finally forced to stop, and then maybe surgery will be on the table. For now, surgery was out of the question. Best I could do is f#$%ing anti inflammatories and rest. Right back where we started. The only other option was rehab, as perhaps building up my core would give it more support and provide relief. And that I never did. I found my own ways to deal with it.

So it's just broke and ain't no way to fix it. Like a bad U-joint, it'll just be bad until it finally goes. Nothing to do but keep on motoring until it does. So that's what I do.

As far as infection, doubt it. I'm not all that learned on that stuff, but I've no reason to suspect it. And anyways, it's just pain. It can't last forever =p

Face,

In addition to the limited laporoscopic surgey an option is transcutaneous stimulation, this recent article discusses a recent discovery that high frequency stimulation has far superior results than low frequencies normally employed.

http://www.thetimesgazette.com/high-frequency-spinal-cord-stimulation-works-better-in-chronic-leg-and-back-pain/5833/

good luck to all.
February 15th, 2017 at 3:15:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Lower Back Pain:

America’s doctors have finally admitted it: Their pharmaceutical tools to treat one of patients’ most common ailments don’t work.

Lower back pain is one of the most frequent reasons people visit the doctor. Yet doctors are finding drugs should actually often be the last line of treatment for it.

A new guideline out Tuesday from the American College of Physicians suggests doctors recommend exercise and treatments like heat wraps, yoga, and mindfulness meditation to their patients before turning to medications like opioids or even over-the-counter painkillers.

Exercise or alternative therapies, the ACP noted, can work as well as or better than medications, but don’t come with the side effects.
February 15th, 2017 at 3:20:32 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Lower Back Pain:

America’s doctors have finally admitted it: Their pharmaceutical tools to treat one of patients’ most common ailments don’t work.

Lower back pain is one of the most frequent reasons people visit the doctor. Yet doctors are finding drugs should actually often be the last line of treatment for it.

A new guideline out Tuesday from the American College of Physicians suggests doctors recommend exercise and treatments like heat wraps, yoga, and mindfulness meditation to their patients before turning to medications like opioids or even over-the-counter painkillers.

Exercise or alternative therapies, the ACP noted, can work as well as or better than medications, but don’t come with the side effects.
I call Bullshit. Doctors under medicate people in pain and it's a shameful blot on there profession. Sad!
February 15th, 2017 at 3:35:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: pew
Quote: Fleastiff
Lower Back Pain:

I call Bullshit. Doctors under medicate people in pain and it's a shameful blot on there profession. Sad!

Please contact Prof. Roger Chou at Oregon Health Sciences University and inform him that he and the ACP are wrong.
Also please differentiate between the dosage involved in medication and the sequence in which therapeutic modalities are attempted.

Do doctors undermedicate people in pain? Yes. Particularly the elderly. There are various reasons for it, but my post related to the sequence of treatment modalities not the strength of the pain medication once pain medication is actually resorted to.
Also: Their profession.
Page 16 of 19« First<13141516171819>