The Discomfort Thread

May 11th, 2015 at 7:39:13 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba

I have heard that going the other direction and applying a hot compress (like as hot as you can stand), actually breaks up the venom molecules, and speeds your body's breakdown of the invaders.

Not a doctor, but it sounds right for the wrong reasons. Heat may work same way it works to draw out a pimple. But no part of me can convince myself it "breaks down" anything. Something about the thought of 130*F (hot water tank temps) breaking down proteins just doesn't sit right. But hey, it could be spot on. Of course, then there's the problem of no hot water out in the bush ;)

Quote: Aye
I worry about squeezing, as you could send the juice the other way, deeper into your tissue, and possibly directly into your bloodstream.

Well, you gotta "get under" the bump, same as popping a zit. But as far as accidentally pushing it into your bloodstream... it's already in your bloodstream. That's how it feeds, by penetrating a blood vessel and pumping in the anti coagulant to keep it flowing. It's already there.

I've certainly have had no ill effects or complications from doing so, and I have done it literally thousands of times. Did it to 5 more just today, and not a single one of them has given so much as one tickle since.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 11th, 2015 at 7:42:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've done it since I was a kid. The clear
stuff is what your body produces to
fight the poison.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 11th, 2015 at 11:19:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Speaking of bites, anyone ever have a poisonous bite (spider snake, scorpion, etc.,).
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2015 at 4:22:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I had a spider in my eye once and a spider bite on the thigh presumed from the classic Lyme Disease pattern of a large circular demarcation.
May 12th, 2015 at 1:02:41 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Some 'splanin' as promised.

In a little pain right now, keeping it short. Come on cocktail hour!

The Aleve, the aspirin, and now I find Ibuprofen too, are having unpleasant gastric effects on me. Labels do warn, on all 3, about stomach bleeding. I'm getting nothing with the stomach, but the lower track isn't responding well to any dosage. I keep having to go after taking these things. Not diarrhea. Over-stimulation, like eating too many hot peppers. Really disappointed today that ibuprofen is going to do it too. Cumulative effect it seems, as didn't have problems before. Aleve the worst.

I'm not going to take anything anymore. I'd rather have the pain than the problem [the prior pain was unacceptable, I think I can handle this - we'll see though]

Fleastiff, I repeat, bourbon works wonders and it is the thing that works the best - with no similar side effects. I'm not claiming it is good for me.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 12th, 2015 at 2:20:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: odiousgambit

Fleastiff, I repeat, bourbon works wonders and it is the thing that works the best - with no similar side effects. I'm not claiming it is good for me.

I told you, try vodka. It's exactly the
same alcohol, minus the flavor from
the oak barrel. Mix it with juice. Hell,
vodka will mix with anything. It will
do you less harm in the long run than
bourbon. Cheaper too.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2015 at 3:56:50 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
I told you, try vodka. It's exactly the
same alcohol, minus the flavor from
the oak barrel. Mix it with juice. Hell,
vodka will mix with anything. It will
do you less harm in the long run than
bourbon. Cheaper too.

I don't deny it but for some mysterious reason bourbon gets the job done for me, your results may vary.

Bob, I sympathize with your various problems, but I tremble to ask what you do for, say, your hip pain.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 12th, 2015 at 4:09:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
but I tremble to ask what you do for, say, your hip pain.

Walk as little as possible. It's the
worst when I get up in the morning,
the first 5min is the worst all day.
May 12th, 2015 at 5:06:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62

Well, if something works, don't ignore it. I'm not sure just what 'discomfort' we are talking about with "rheumatism" but if Bourbon works, Bourbon it is, until you find something else that works even better. May I suggest Bourbon and a nineteen year old girl who kisses like a nymphomaniac on death row.
May 12th, 2015 at 9:04:00 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Walk as little as possible. It's the
worst when I get up in the morning,
the first 5min is the worst all day.

Have you tried one of those steroid epidurals. If you haven't, they are sometimes wonderful.

I enjoyed one of your posts where you said you used a stick or a staff when it is slippery out. I like a tall stick, it is easier for me to hang on then leaning on the short kind.

I also like a tall stick for crossing streams, it is like having a third leg and always having two on the ground.

What would you have to lose by trying an epidural right in the hip socket, they work. They hurt going in, but you might be doing the "two step" coming out of the clinic.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW