Supergirl one of the worst failures in DC comic book history

Page 1 of 3123>
May 14th, 2015 at 7:40:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The 1984 Supergirl movie was a complete disaster, selling about 4 million tickets. Superman III was doing terribly and the supergirl was an attempt to salvage the genre.

Howard the Duck (George Lucas=Executive Producer) followed shortly afterward, the first Marvel comic adaption. It also tanked.

Now after three decades Supergirl is back (on TV)
May 14th, 2015 at 7:45:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Girls are always lame as superheros. The only
reason guys like them is because they look
sexy it their tight uniforms.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 14th, 2015 at 8:00:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I liked the trailer. I wonder if that means that's the only part I will enjoy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2015 at 5:14:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
I liked the trailer. I wonder if that means that's the only part I will enjoy.

The average age of CBS viewer is now 58.7 years old. So I think that CBS is trying to grab at least 2 hours on Monday night with two shows appealing to the under 35 viewer. They seem to have a lot riding on this show.

CBS is half owner of CW network, which has two series based on DC comic characters.
May 15th, 2015 at 5:14:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
seems clear to me that movie,TV, an video game producers have figured out something about this:

*action movies/superhero this and that /point-and-shoot video games etc are going to appeal mostly to boys [and young men] but it pays to try to get females to watch/participate too

*girls these days have some feminist notions and won't buy too passive a role being portrayed

*if they put a female in, say, the leading superhero role, this will go over fine with the boys if she is sexy as in the Xena model - having large breasts is especially mandatory

gotta wonder about the supergirl model ever working, they seem to fall into the trap of making her too wholesome for today?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 15th, 2015 at 5:24:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I would expect any "Supergirl" franchise to fail and fail hard. Why? Because it is nothing but a chick knockoff of the real thing. It is simply lazy work on the part of producers and writers. For the same reason, nobody other than a few feminists likes "Batgirl" as a character.

Why don't they make a female superhero who is original? "Wonder Woman" worked fairly well. Why can't the creative departments actually create?
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2015 at 5:27:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: odiousgambit
*girls these days have some feminist notions and won't buy too passive a role being portrayed

I'm sorry, but I usually think of feminism as being about 50 years old. This comment seems really funny to me.

But it is true that superhero films with a female as the lead character have never worked out. I view Buffy, The Vampire Slayer and Xena as more fantasy than super hero (although there is a fine line).

Xena really went out of their way to cater to lesbian fantsy story line, and Buffy had the strong female supporting role come out as a lesbian. I don't think that CBS is going to do that with supergirl.
May 15th, 2015 at 6:03:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
I'm sorry, but I usually think of feminism as being about 50 years old. This comment seems really funny to me.

But it is true that superhero films with a female as the lead character have never worked out. I view Buffy, The Vampire Slayer and Xena as more fantasy than super hero (although there is a fine line).

A question arises. Do women want to see a female superhero as a lead? I do not think that most of them do. My thought is they want to be with the superhero they see, not really be them. This is why they watch.

Superheros are (mostly) still allowed to be manly, and are somewhat required to do so. Women do not like "manly women." Feminists might, the same kind of feminists who choose a totally whipped guy (who would not last 5 minutes in the "DIY" thread here) as a boyfriend. But generally, woman do not want to see chicks act like guys anymore than guys want to see a movie where a guy acts like a chick.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2015 at 6:32:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

Apology accepted and I concede I can easily make ridiculous statements. Now, I wouldnt want to say that modern girls or women have bought into all that much of the Feminist thing [so maybe I need to quit using that word] but the equal rights thing and a lot of what were previously considered out-there notions of roles for women have become totally accepted generally now. I guess my point was, don't try to make a video game with a female heroine who just is some damsel in distress and expect girls today to play the game.

PS: just watched the trailer. She is very wholesome and feminine [not feminist] but also modernly refusing to have to be told to girl-down*. We'll have to stay tuned.

*http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=girl+down had to show Paco I know some modern terms LOL
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 15th, 2015 at 8:57:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Now after three decades Supergirl is back (on TV)

According to IMDB, Helen Slater is on the pilot.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 3123>