Science and God

November 23rd, 2016 at 5:44:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Why do you want to make every thought and action meaningless as you want to make the entire universe meaningless

Because it is meaningless. We give meaning
to things, the universe is neutral. It doesn't
care if we're here or not, because we are
part of the whole. If nothing has meaning
built into it, everything has equal meaning,
everything is important. A frog is just as
important as you and I, there's no way to
prove otherwise.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 23rd, 2016 at 5:46:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't think so, but He sure as heck created it.

Problem is, you created the god. You rigged
the argument and made it circular.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2016 at 2:40:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm not brainwashed and see real problems with pure capitalism. Surely you don't think it is perfect. One of the ways you can see if someone is brainwashed is by if they never have anything negative to say about what they believe and nothing positive to say about their critics. Another way is if they never admit they are wrong or just stop talking about something if they are challenged.

Pure capitalism, Pure religion, ... Pure Hogwash.

I think with all the discussion about church wealth, self-dealing, etc. that no one here is really discussing pure anything. I some how think a CPA being shown the church's books by a Bishop is akin to the young alter boy being lead to the Priest's bed. And multipurpose function rooms are pure propaganda labels such as using a closet for both brooms and a slush fund, but calling it a Janitor's Closet in a zillion articles, speeches and litigation documents.

I have said to you now at least three times that much of the Church and some of its greatest theologians believed based on the available evidence that the universe was eternal and it fits fine into Scripture and arguments for the existence of God.
Of course things often "fit". Long term observations of a roulette wheel show a fundamental force inside that little ball, a Soul, if you will, that carries out the Heavenly Plan to keep the Universe in Proper Balance. And FrGamble ministers to those Souls so as to enable them to more perfectly fulfill the role the scriptures assign to them.

I'm reminded of Easter Island wherein the Priests wanted to cut down trees to aid in the sacrificial creation of Images to the Gods and the non-believers who wanted to protect trees to hold soil and provide fishing boats. The result: Great big stone figures on a barren windswept deserted island. The Priests won but the people disappeared. And all that is left is FrGamble to say "That was God's Plan".
December 16th, 2016 at 2:02:40 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
____ me in the ___ cause I love Jesus
Music video
Garfunkel and Oates
NSFW
https://youtu.be/NfRtkCGE40A
The blanks are filled in, uncensored.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 20th, 2016 at 5:07:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
One of my favorite documentary shows is Frontline on PBS
Was channel surfing tonight
On Frontline tonight
From Jesus to Christ: The First Christians
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 20th, 2016 at 8:20:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
We all realize a distinction between what can be proven scientifically and what can neve be proven or happens to be never addressed by scientists or for which there is lack of sufficient agreement perhaps due to lack of sufficient real interest in the topic.

Those who contemplate their navel are just about as religious as those who contemplate the navels of all the worlds peoples or all the trees in the world. A focus on a topic is uplifting to some. Its sort of a cup of hot tea. It clearly is beneficial and in some circumstances cold tea sure won't do. Some people seek the answers in biochemistry some are just content to enjoy the experience.

I think Fr. Gambler is wrong however about the Earth being eternal. I understand that an FBI agent on Mr. Robot has as her only friend one of these talking speakers and that speaker informed her that unless the earth gets struck by some asteroid or some future technology turns out to be terribly destructive, the earth will las several billion years until the sun goes supernova.

Now I challenge Fr. Gambler to differentiate between his faith in unknow writers of the past and my faith in scriptwriters and show runners for Mr. Robot.
December 21st, 2016 at 6:45:10 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The pope believes in the big bang theory, that evolution is real and true, that God "doesn't wave a magic wand," and that Genesis is just a story. He said these things in 2014.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 21st, 2016 at 7:24:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Must be a heretic then! Time for an Inquisition!!
And what better day to invoke it than the Northern Hemisphere's Winter Solstice. (10:46 UTC).
December 21st, 2016 at 9:05:11 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Dalex64
The pope believes in the big bang theory, that evolution is real and true, that God "doesn't wave a magic wand," and that Genesis is just a story. He said these things in 2014.
The catholic church never learns. They've gone along with the science of the day over scripture several times to their peril.
December 21st, 2016 at 9:19:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: pew
The catholic church never learns. They've gone along with the science of the day over scripture several times to their peril.

I'm curious as to when science and scripture have ever been against each other. They both have the same author, I don't see how they could be against each other.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (