pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
That's a mild way of putting it. The Church
taught and enforced the scientific view of
the day, and banned everything that disagreed
with it. And punished those that violated the
ban.
Just like today but it goes way beyond any church. The political and scientific intelligentsia, environmentalist wackos and educational systems all have extreme bias. Tow the line or kiss your career and or your credibility goodby.
February 25th, 2017 at 3:30:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"That is the situation with the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. Until recent times, absence of evidence for his existence has not been sufficient to rule him out. However, we now have enough knowledge that we can identify many places where there should be evidence, but there is not. The absence of that evidence allows us to rule out the existence of this God beyond a reasonable doubt...

..evidence for God should have been found, but was not. This absence of evidence is evidence of absence. It refutes the common assertion that science has nothing to say about God. In fact, science can say, beyond any reasonable doubt, that God — the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God — does not exist."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-stenger/the-evidence-against-god_b_682169.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2017 at 9:42:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Here is my quick response to the article that is linked to above.

The first sentance is wrong. There is scientific evidence for God and the supernatural. Science shows us that the universe has a beginning and many miracles and changed lives and the unique person of Jesus Christ give us evidence of the supernatural. The author himself betrays the notion there is no evidence for God by repeating multiple times that there could be a deist conception of God. His argument is really against the idea of God that is involved in our lives and cares for us. There are many textbooks and articles that describe such evidence, none of which he seems to have bothered to read.

His search for physical evidence of God is wrong-headed for two reasons. First, that such evidence is existence itself. Where does matter and the whole universe come from if not from some God? he is content to say that this very well could be an impersonal god or watchmaker. Second, how can you look for evidence of a spiritual being in the same way you would look for evidence of an elephant? He is looking in the wrong place. Look to our souls, our intellect and will. See the imprint God has made in the lives God touches and you will find more evidence of God than that of bison in Yellowstone.

He seems to want to actually see not just a "god particle" in the accelerators smashing atoms, but God Himself. This is foolish and a sign that he believes an all powerful, eternal, spiritual being is to be found in the physical world. He is looking for love in all the wrong places.

This destroys his first argument. That information is containted in such a small place is limited. As if God is limited by space and matter. Just because all matter/energy and the entire universe was contained in a not infentesimally small space does not mean that is all there is. He needs to expand his very small view and look beyond the physical to what exist outside of that space and time - namely an unlimited God.

What he attributes to randomness, science and math show us is impossible. Robert Primrose, friend and collegue of Stephen Hawkings, says that there is a one out of 10 to the 10 to the 123rd chance (a number larger than the number of electrons in the universe) that the universe as we know it could have happened by chance alone.

It is always sad to hear someone who claims to be a scientist quote the studies on inteccessory prayer. He defeats himself by using something so unscientific as the test of the spiritual. You need a theologian, not a scientist, to talk about God's Providence and the meaning of unanswered prayers.

Finally, there are many things that provide information that defy explination. Prophecy in the Bible does indeed come true. It is why the OT is an essential part of the Bible and why Jesus' early and faithful Jewish followers found Him so credible. Evenbob himself has spoken about things he attributes to reincarnation that show supernatural knowledge. The devil in excorcisms knows things that no one can know , as do the Holy Angels.

These are just my first thoughts as to why such an article is false, illogical, and shows a mind that has already determined what is true and seeks to prove it by using inadequate thoughts.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 25th, 2017 at 9:53:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Science and God
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 25th, 2017 at 11:48:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble

Did you read any of the 15,000 comments?
Anything I might say is more than covered
there, in spades.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2017 at 11:54:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote:
These are just my first thoughts as to why such an article is false, illogical,

Why did you read it. You knew what your position
would be beforehand, why bother. The Church
dictates the stand you take on such matters, you
toe the Church line, that's your job. You are on
the front lines of upholding Church doctrine,
are you not? This is why they hired you, deviate
from it and you will pay a price.
February 26th, 2017 at 7:26:43 AM permalink
FrGamble

Did you read any of the 15,000 comments?
Anything I might say is more than covered
there, in spades.

The moment you depend on youtube comments to prove your point is the moment you know you have lost.
February 26th, 2017 at 7:31:47 AM permalink
FrGamble
Why did you read it. You knew what your position
would be beforehand, why bother. The Church
dictates the stand you take on such matters, you
toe the Church line, that's your job. You are on
the front lines of upholding Church doctrine,
are you not? This is why they hired you, deviate
from it and you will pay a price.

So you think the reason I am on this forum debating with you is because I am paid to do so? Doesn't stuff like this sound strange and ill conceived to you when you write it? Do you think the Church dictates what I write to you on this board, do you think I was born a priest and was forced against my will to become one? Do you think that I have never questioned my belief, lost my faith, lost my way, or deviate even now from the Church at times? You know what this is and so does everyone else, you have no response so you just say that I have to say this because it is my job. What does that even have to do with anything at all? Am I right or wrong and why? Any of these other veiled insults and weaselly excuses to not answer the question is beneath you.
February 26th, 2017 at 11:02:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Any of these other veiled insults and weaselly excuses to not answer the question is beneath you.

What question, there's a question?
February 26th, 2017 at 11:10:52 AM permalink
FrGamble
More like not responding to the challenges I've posed to the article you posted. Or respond to the video I posted.
Page 41 of 43« First<383940414243>