Ascending Mount Hood

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
August 9th, 2017 at 9:28:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
If you climb Whitney from the portal, there is not much to see but a bunch of switchbacks. Spend the time to approach the summit from the other side. You won't regret it.

That is not true! It is a great hike from Whitney Portal. You go through different climate zones and pass by beautiful lakes and waterfalls. Yes, there are the 99 switchbacks, but that is only about 15% of the total mileage. I do agree that doing it from the back side is even better but requires more time.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 10th, 2017 at 12:17:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I do agree that doing it from the back side is even better but requires more time.

I assume you are talking about what is labelled as the "John Muir Trail"
August 10th, 2017 at 10:33:02 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I assume you are talking about what is labelled as the "John Muir Trail"

Yes, but both ways overlap part of the John Muir Trail. The "long scenic way" joins reaches the ridge from the west side.

It is high on my bucket list to hike the entire John Muir trail.
August 10th, 2017 at 1:04:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The northern terminus of John Muir trail is in Yosemite Valley (37.7317°N 119.5587°W) and the southern terminus located on the summit of Mount Whitney.
The Trail's official length is 210.4 miles , with an elevation gain of approximately 47,000 feet .

You want to hike 200 miles with 9 miles of elevation gain through mountain terrain? That actually sounds considerably harder than walking the 500 miles of the Camino de Santiago facing about 5 miles of elevation gain and eating tapas along the way with a hotel stop in Leon.
August 10th, 2017 at 3:12:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
You want to hike 200 miles with 9 miles of elevation gain through mountain terrain? That actually sounds considerably harder than walking the 500 miles of the Camino de Santiago facing about 5 miles of elevation gain and eating tapas along the way with a hotel stop in Leon.

Absolutely! I do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard. The Camino is sliding down on my bucket list. Most of what I hear about it is negative. I think I quoted a web site before of ten reasons NOT to hike the Camino.

August 10th, 2017 at 7:40:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Absolutely! I do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard.

Obviously you are driven to excel. Orizaba is going to be extremely difficult because of the altitude. That extra 7.5% over Iztaccíhuatl is going to be grueling, and then add another 10% for Denali (which I am sure is on your bucket list).

I just had the impression that you like feats that are over and done in a few days.

That John Muir trail would be a month of pure hardship.
August 10th, 2017 at 7:49:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Obviously you are driven to excel. Orizaba is going to be extremely difficult because of the altitude. That extra 7.5% over Iztaccíhuatl is going to be grueling, and then add another 10% for Denali (which I am sure is on your bucket list).

Thanks. My guide said Orizaba was actually a little easier than Ixy (I don't want to look up the spelling) because it is shorter and broken up over two days. Personally, I can take the extra altitude.

Quote:
I just had the impression that you like feats that are over and done in a few days.

That's just because I have to make a living and have three kids. I'm hoping to retire in about five years and then really do some big things, like hike the Appalachian Trail.

Quote:
That John Muir trail would be a month of pure hardship.

Well, that is part of the charm. If it were a piece of cake, everyone would do it. I've already done about 10% of the Appalachian Trail and met many through-hikers. 90% of their comments about the trail were negative, but they kept going. There is something about putting yourself to the test and seeing what you can do that motivates some people.
August 10th, 2017 at 8:14:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
That's just because I have to make a living and have three kids. I'm hoping to retire in about five years and then really do some big things, like hike the Appalachian Trail.

But after a lifetime of accomplishing amazing feats over the short term, I would think you would dream of active trips that don't push your body to the limits. Like long hikes along the Rhine river drinking beer.

I mean a hundred miles on the Rhine is not like lying on a beach, but it isn't spending a month in the mountains either.

It's like Reinhold Messner who spent his entire life destroying one record after another.
August 10th, 2017 at 8:56:34 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Yes, but both ways overlap part of the John Muir Trail. The "long scenic way" joins reaches the ridge from the west side.

Here's a blog I read a while ago that you might be interested in. Girl in her 20s hiking Pacific Crest Trail.

https://adventureclaudia.wordpress.com/2016/04/24/pct-day-1/

Assume this would be right up your alley as well.
August 11th, 2017 at 11:05:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
The Pacific Coast Trail is definitely a possibility. However, the Appalachian Trail will come first.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>