is Amazon getting worse?

Page 4 of 9<1234567>Last »
September 6th, 2015 at 6:44:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
guess I better start watching some of those no-good videos just so I get something for my money.

Casanova starring Diego Luna, was pretty violent, but the cinematography was beautiful (I saw the free pilot episode). You might also see then 2005 BBC Casanova with David Tennant/Peter OToole as the young/old Casanova.

I have only seen parts of the Heath Ledger version
September 6th, 2015 at 6:54:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
ALL life was pretty violent then, particularly duels. One actress in France was known to have killed eight men in duels.
September 10th, 2015 at 9:37:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Venice was the pleasure capital of Europe,and it's most famous citizen continues to fascinate. Most of the Amazon premier takes place in Paris.

Quote: Wikipedia
The primary value of the Grand Tour, it was believed, lay in the exposure both to the cultural legacy of classical antiquity and the Renaissance, and to the aristocratic and fashionably polite society of the European continent. In addition, it provided the only opportunity to view specific works of art, and possibly the only chance to hear certain music. A Grand Tour could last from several months to several years. It was commonly undertaken in the company of a Cicerone, a knowledgeable guide or tutor. The Grand Tour had more than superficial cultural importance; as E. P. Thompson stated, "ruling-class control in the 18th century was located primarily in a cultural hegemony, and only secondarily in an expression of economic or physical (military) power."

In essence the Grand Tour was neither a scholar's pilgrimage nor a religious one, though a pleasurable stay in Venice and a cautious residence in Rome were essential. Catholic Grand Tourists followed the same routes as Protestant Whigs. Since the 17th century a tour to such places was also considered essential for budding young artists to understand proper painting and sculpture techniques, though the trappings of the Grand Tour— valets and coachmen, perhaps a cook, certainly a "bear-leader" or scholarly guide— were beyond their reach. The advent of popular guides, such as the Richardsons', did much to popularize such trips, and following the artists themselves, the elite considered travel to such centres as necessary rites of passage. For gentlemen, some works of art were essential to demonstrate the breadth and polish they had received from their tour: in Rome antiquaries like Thomas Jenkins provided access to private collections of antiquities, among which enough proved to be for sale that the English market raised the price of such things, as well as for coins and medals, which formed more portable souvenirs and a respected gentleman's guide to ancient history. Pompeo Batoni made a career of painting English milordi posed with graceful ease among Roman antiquities. Many continued on to Naples, where they viewed Herculaneum and Pompeii, but few ventured far into southern Italy and fewer still to Greece, still under Turkish rule.
October 1st, 2015 at 9:09:06 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Amazon has banned any Marketplace seller from selling Apple TV or Google Chromecast.

Smart move for Amazon? Or will it backfire?
October 1st, 2015 at 10:53:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: reno

I'm not sure it will change the bottom line that much. Is it really big news that a company doesn't want to sell competing products?
October 2nd, 2015 at 7:46:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Amazon has banned any Marketplace seller from selling Apple TV or Google Chromecast.

FWIW, Teddys got me my current Chromecast from Amazon, lo these many years ago :)

I wonder if one searches Amazon for "Chromecast" whether the site will say "Wouldn't you like a nice Amazon Fire stick instead?"

Can you buy a Chromecast in the Apple Store?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 2nd, 2015 at 10:51:48 AM permalink
reno
Quote: Nareed
Can you buy a Chromecast in the Apple Store?

It appears so.
October 2nd, 2015 at 1:15:35 PM permalink
Nareed
It appears so.

They even show the new app...

BTW, I got an update to the app recently. I'll have to try it out with the Mark 1 Chromecast and see if there's any difference. Though from what, I've no idea. I opened the app only twice to set up the thing...
October 2nd, 2015 at 4:37:25 PM permalink
reno
Quote: Pacomartin
Is it really big news that a company doesn't want to sell competing products?

It sets a precedent.

Quote: Wired
Amazon isn’t just the world largest e-commerce company. It’s the world largest cloud computing company—by an astronomically large margin. Amazon Web Services—services where anyone can build and operate a website or other sorts of online software—help run everything from Netflix and Dropbox to Airbnb and Expedia. It’s a $4.6 billion business, and in the years to come, it could become Amazon’s primary business.

If I were an executive at Netflix, I might now be nervous that my company is a cloud computing client of Amazon's. At any moment, Amazon could change the rules on a whim, with little to no warning. These leaves Netflix in a vulnerable position.

Amazon can't be trusted with this much power.
October 2nd, 2015 at 4:44:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Amazon can't be trusted with this much power.

Anyone can start a cloud computing company to compete with Amazon's.
Page 4 of 9<1234567>Last »