Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>
September 10th, 2016 at 6:38:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just finished binge watching the Wire on Amazon
Wow, what a great series.
My favorite character, Omar
What a bad ass. Robs drug dealers for a living
Here is one of the best Omar scenes, robbing just through intimidation instead of violence
2nd video is a 2 1/2 hours of just Omar :-)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 10th, 2016 at 8:05:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Theme song is unusual... its by Tom Waits.
September 10th, 2016 at 8:39:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Just finished binge watching the Wire on Amazon
Wow, what a great series.
My favorite character, Omar
What a bad ass. Robs drug dealers for a living
Here is one of the best Omar scenes, robbing just through intimidation instead of violence
2nd video is a 2 1/2 hours of just Omar :-)

I like the ugly duckling season with the dock workers. Maybe I identify with the younger ones or something. Or maybe the view shifting that keeps it more interesting. On YT clips a comment said they thought about doing a season centered on illegal aliens and their involvement in gangs but the writers could not find enough perspective to make it real.
The President is a fink.
September 10th, 2016 at 8:42:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin

Bestbuy made a dramatic turnaround by offering to match online prices and became a darling of Wall Street. But now the recovery may be short lived.

These kinds of places always seemed to have a life cycle of birth-boom-crash. BBY seems to be making it by virtue of being last man standing. There are times I would rather shop there than online. I can see them hanging around, but the glory days are gone.
The President is a fink.
September 11th, 2016 at 12:34:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
BBY seems to be making it by virtue of being last man standing.

Electronics are very popular items. There used to be an electronics sections in department stores, but now there is a section in Walmart and Target. There are only 34 Frey's locations, but Computer City, CompUSA, Circuit city, etc. Are all bankrupt. BB seems to be the last chain with over 1000 locations.

The Apple Store has 268 US locations and 219 in another 19 countries (including Santa Fe in Mexico City).
September 11th, 2016 at 4:09:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Electronics are very popular items. There used to be an electronics sections in department stores, but now there is a section in Walmart and Target. There are only 34 Frey's locations, but Computer City, CompUSA, Circuit city, etc. Are all bankrupt. BB seems to be the last chain with over 1000 locations.

The Apple Store has 268 US locations and 219 in another 19 countries (including Santa Fe in Mexico City).

Popular, yes, but electronics and appliance stores seem to come and go. I can't even remember half of the regional ones in the graveyard. One reason may be that the margins are thin, hence the need to sell all those extended warranties.
The President is a fink.
September 11th, 2016 at 6:42:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
One reason may be that the margins are thin, hence the need to sell all those extended warranties.

But margins are thin on groceries and on clothing. But you don't see the retailers going out of business at the same rate as electronics stores.
Grocery stores seem to remain profitable, by selling a store version of an item for lower cost than the brand name.

Best Buy sells Insignia brand electronics to compete with Samsung and Sony. But they don't seem to want to compete at the highest end. Possibly because Samsung and Sony would refuse to sell their products at a Best Buy.

These are Insignia's most expensive televisions
$499.99 Insignia - 55" Class (54.5" Diag.) - LED - 4K Ultra HD TV - Smart - Roku TV - Black NS-55DR710NA17
$399.99 Insignia - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - HDTV - Black NS-55D510NA17
$449.99 Insignia - 50" Class (49.5" Diag.) - LED - 4K Ultra HD TV - Smart - Roku TV - Black NS-50DR710NA17
They have 12 other televisions between $80 and $350.
September 11th, 2016 at 8:04:05 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
But margins are thin on groceries and on clothing.

Depending on the state, grocery stores make huge profits on beer & wine.

I get the sense that clothing has high profits because it's often made in cheap places like Bangladesh. (I could be wrong.)
September 11th, 2016 at 9:11:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
But margins are thin on groceries and on clothing. But you don't see the retailers going out of business at the same rate as electronics stores.
Grocery stores seem to remain profitable, by selling a store version of an item for lower cost than the brand name.

Grocery store make money on the "perimeter." Produce, meat, deli, bakery, and frozen. They get slotting allowances. But they also have many times the revenue. Probably other reasons as well.
The President is a fink.
September 11th, 2016 at 11:03:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just finished Stranger things on Netflix. Pretty good.
I like stuff with a bit of a bizarre sci fi twist
Watched 1 1/2 episodes of Black Mirror on Amazon. Looks interesting. Will come back.
Looking for a big arc series to binge watch
Watching Black Orphan. This looks real good. Into the 2nd episode and hooked :-)

What I like about Amazon video is the 10 second forward or backward button
Often use it to cut to the chase.
Also like the trivia, actors and character names showing on the left side when I move the mouse

I tried 1 1/2 episodes of Mad Men
Just don't get it. Don't care about anybody or the business they are in.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>