The Insanity of the United States Postal Service

October 20th, 2016 at 1:48:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
Face, what is the weight limit of a package you are responsible for delivering?

I used to order boxes of dollar coins from the US Mint and those suckers were pretty heavy. My mailman delivered four boxes a week for over year. I don't think he had any idea that he delivered around $1 million dollars in coins to my house.

Technically, it's 70lbs. I know of no category that goes over that (flat, letter, parcel, priority, etc). But though that's policy, I just delivered a memory foam mattress a couple weeks ago that weighed as much as a collapsed sun. I get some heavy ones, but none that I thought approached 70 until this one, and I have no idea how it could've weighed less (unless it was the dimensions making it feel gargantuan). I was told I was "allowed help", as in I could demand a clerk / carrier meet me there to assist and refuse the delivery if they didn't. I just humped the SOB myself. Already got a bad back so might as well roll the wheel for some paid time off, I figured =p

I might've wished death upon you in that scenario, but it depends on a number of factors. Weight isn't a big one, usually, because it's max 70lbs and I used to roof and work in a grinding disk factory. A daily 70lb'er is laughable after that. Maybe if you greeted me in bahama shorts and straw hat while sipping a margarita and asking me if it is "hot enough for me", OK, I might Sparta you right into the neighbor's yard for that one. But just a box, even daily, is whatever. The person who currently sets me off, if I may paint a picture, both sends AND receives multiple boxes per day. Today for example was a drop of 9 and a pick up of 6. Part of what pisses me off is it's early in my day, so my truck is loaded. No where to put hers but on top, and that f#$%s up my internal sort. Then they fall and flop all over sending my sort truly to hell. Then she reuses boxes over and over, so instead of stout walls and flaps that I can stack and grab, it just a pile of shit that can't be managed or Tetris'd into place. Add to that she's a filthy hoarder, so all her garbage smells of dog piss and sadness. The cherry on top is that she's soft in the GD head, so she sends stuff out in the boxes she receives her stuff in, which STILL HAS HER GD ADDRESS ON IT. OR, even better, she uses priority boxes for non-priority deliveries. Either way, I'm taking her OUT stuff right back to her every f#$%ing day. The double cherry on top is I could hit the Christing post office from her house with a water balloon slingshot. Add it all together and leprosy would be far too good a fate for her. I haven't yet kicked or stomped one of her packages, but if I'm being honest, I'm just saving that affair for the holiday season. Even the clerks are sick of her s#$% and are trying to identify her on Ebay so they can negative review her business off the map, she's that bad. I probably should erase this last. But I probably won't.

I can't say that curiosity has struck me all that much, though. Sometimes I wonder what in the hell someone is receiving from Deutschland twice a week, but mostly everything is just boxes. I'm glad you mentioned coins, though, because my partner gets boxes like that and I've been furious that he's found a way to ship ammo, as that's all I could envision being that small but weighing that much. Coins. That's what they are.

Buddy of mine's weed man gets his shipped through USPS from CO. lol. Has a way to package it so that it's undetectable, at least by smell. And speaking of weed, people actually use mailboxes to sell and deliver that s#$% lol. I've yet to encounter it, but just about everyone has opened a box to find a bag or loaded pipe in it. I mean, not that mail men are shining examples of piousness, but who deals in a location expressly held for federal employees?

It's a weird job.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 20th, 2016 at 2:05:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

I might've wished death upon you in that scenario,.

But, but, all the TV ad's for the PO
show the mailman going cheerfully
to the door to pick up packages,
and grinning all the way back to
his truck. What's the old lady to
think, she's convinced you love
her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2016 at 2:13:13 PM permalink
Face
Oh, I smile, too. After all, it IS the YouTube age.

It's the eyes you need look at. Look closely at the glint; it's actually the fires of Hell.
October 20th, 2016 at 3:24:31 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I ordered one of those memory foam mattresses and I think it was around 120 pounds for a queen size. I really struggled just getting it off of the porch. My wife almost collapsed trying to schlep it up to the second floor guest room.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 20th, 2016 at 3:54:01 PM permalink
Face
I knew it. Those things are HEAVY. To be honest, after carrying it to and into the truck, I just "corner walked" it across the driveway.

Thanks for that, DRich. Seriously. I thought I was toting a f#$%ing gun safe. When I read the box and found I had nothing but foam, I thought I had lost my edge. Glad to see I've not pussified with age ;)
October 20th, 2016 at 5:53:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Sometimes I wonder what in the hell someone is receiving from Deutschland twice a week

Obviously, Hitler's gold.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 20th, 2016 at 8:26:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I knew it. Those things are HEAVY. To be honest, after carrying it to and into the truck, I just "corner walked" it across the driveway.

Thanks for that, DRich. Seriously. I thought I was toting a f#$%ing gun safe. When I read the box and found I had nothing but foam, I thought I had lost my edge. Glad to see I've not pussified with age ;)
The one I got was vacuum packed into that box you toted. I replaced the mattress in my cabover camper and when it came out of the box I was able to leverage into position above the cab of the truck [in the camper]. Then you cut the vacuum bag off of it and it expands for about 8 hours into a 9 inch memory foam mattress. The only way to ever remove it would be to cut it out of there. But it is a full size memory foam mattress.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 21st, 2016 at 1:41:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Face, are all packages tracked now? I see
even cheapo books from Amazon are
trackable and tell you when they arrived.

I would be screwed if they did that in the
late 90's. The PO really screwed me on
some insured items so I started getting
insurance on some of the packages
and when I got it, I put my name and
address on the insurance slip but not
the date or who it was going to. The PO
lady stamped them anyway because she
knew me. I would hang on to these and
use them when a package really got lost
or damaged, which was all the time.

With tracking there is no way to do that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 21st, 2016 at 2:25:30 PM permalink
Face
Not all. I do occasionally get one that I don't have to scan, but it IS quite rare. I'd say I sling ~300 parcels a week (excluding Thanksgiving thru Groundhog) and I get maybe 1-5 that don't have a scan. Very rare. It's pretty much a given that any parcel sent is gonna have one.
October 21st, 2016 at 8:31:06 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Had a friend who worked for Post Office, had a breakdown, I drove him to pick up last paycheck and file lawsuit.. Heard woman on other side of partition say " Mr Cummins, We had no doubt you are insane. We just don't think Post Office is responsible " Never did settle, he did suddenly of cancer a few years later. Called me, said he was in hospital, as soon as released he wanted to max out credit cards, go to Hawaii with me and Josie. Hit Vegas on way back, as he was sure he was gonna die. Didn't last out the week. SIGH