The Insanity of the United States Postal Service

November 15th, 2018 at 10:26:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
I don't know about the rest of you but I haven't mailed a letter or sent a package by USPS in over five years. My few package shipments go by UPS.

I don't know how much a stamp
costs. Last time I mailed anything
it was like 44 cents. Probably
up to 65 by now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 15th, 2018 at 11:43:42 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
We use USPS regularly, letters, cards and packages. I reuse Amazon boxes to send things through the mail.

My 95 year old neighbor lady doesn't own a computer or smart phone, she has the flag up on her mailbox several times per week.

My life as an itinerant construction worker, often from an RV or Boat, getting ones mail is difficult. A few times when there were no extra PO boxes, I even collected my mail addressed to general delivery.

As a partial solution to helping the USPS solve their money problems, I don't know why they don't just cut delivery on a weekday, or even not deliver on Monday and Thurs.? I don't need mail everyday when travelling, but sometimes the only chance of getting the mail, would be on Saturday.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 15th, 2018 at 12:38:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

As a partial solution to helping the USPS solve their money problems, I don't know why they don't just cut delivery on a weekday, or even not deliver on Monday and Thurs.? I don't need mail everyday when travelling, but sometimes the only chance of getting the mail, would be on Saturday.

Monday would be the worst day to cut as you have the backup from the weekend. I can see the day when they drop Saturday and maybe Tuesday for residential but do business delivery all weekdays. Already any new development pretty much uses clusterboxes, could see more of that, which I would despise.
The President is a fink.
November 15th, 2018 at 2:01:40 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Damn it!! When I see this thread revisited I am expecting a rant from Face. C'mon Face, please give us a pre-Christmas rant.

I didn't realize my poisonous vitriol resonated so well, kinda feel like I bring the room down most times. Well, sorry to disappoint, but I can't find a single thing to be mad about now. rxwine just told me I can use f#$%ing rockets to get this s#$% done. Someone get me my peroxide, it's gonna be a great holiday! =D

So, rx, do I airburst this s#$% or just send it through their front door?

Quote: petroglyph
Maybe he is busy celebrating Bezos opening up an Amazon fulfillment center in New York?

added; https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-13/virginia-lures-amazon-for-a-bargain-compared-with-new-york-city?srnd=premium

They've already pulled / are pulling out of Rochester, though I heard it's because they (Roch) are a bleeding disaster up there and can't get s#$% done. But yes, my deep seething hatred aside, there is no one looking more forward to this than me. You get Amazon the f#$% out of my face, I could easily tolerate this job. I might even, dare I say it, kinda like it. It'll at least give me 2 extra hours a day to scream at the postmaster, and any day I send him home with high BP is a win in my book.

I don't know about the rest of you but I haven't mailed a letter or sent a package by USPS in over five years. My few package shipments go by UPS.

You're doing god's work, sir! Who now, who else has gotten me such a fine gift for the season? =D

I wish I did have a heater all freshed up for you, but I'm just tired atm. Honestly, AMZ is so out of control it's like Xmas 340days a year. I've been at 3 bins or ~160pc since the end of last Xmas, which is what full Xmas used to be when I started. Ever been beat until you couldn't feel it anymore? That's where I'm at. And hell, I got a whole lot of "life momentum" stocked up since things have been going so OK for so long, I got two torn shoulders now which I suppose gives me peace because at any minute I could just say "F#$% you, see you in spring" and go out on surgery med, and if I still intend on creating an above average life, this IS my money season. Things are going OK and I'm gonna try this whole "positive thinking" thing for awhile, see what happens.

As soon as I snap, though (and I will) I'll come back with a ripper, just for you =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 15th, 2018 at 2:03:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Move afoot to convert post office to Meals on Wheels, Senior Assist service, catfish index, anonymous email servi e.

Cluster boxes are here to stay. street boxes will never come back.

mail forwarding services used to a boon to itinerant workers, but no longer.
November 15th, 2018 at 2:44:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
mail forwarding services used to a boon to itinerant workers, but no longer.
I could probably accept if all correspondence was digital, but unfortunately the mail that really really messes you up if you don't get it, or respond to it in time, is the US mail. Like jury summons or the IRS wanting to chat.

If you move a lot and are always working out of town, sooner or later you run out of friends or family that are reliable enough to forward your mail.

It's the hardest part about being transient. Especially with all this HS crap, anybody not satisfied with living under a bridge needs a street address where they can contact you

They already have the technology to know where my phone is located, IP address etc. It's easy to get Amazon packages anywhere a person wants, Netflix, Wifi, etc., a person is easy enough for the authority's to physically locate. But miss one little notice to contact them about jury duty, and they get all PO'd.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 26th, 2018 at 1:45:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
As Christmas approaches, do you think Amazon intentionally trolled postal workers with the "Can you feel it?" happy singing boxes commercial?

Can you feel it in your back? : 0
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 5th, 2018 at 6:41:26 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
As Christmas approaches, do you think Amazon intentionally trolled postal workers with the "Can you feel it?" happy singing boxes commercial?

Can you feel it in your back? : 0

Ah, hahaha! Maybe so! I do think of Face every time I order a package. The USPS seems to always get hung with humping the last mile.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 5th, 2018 at 7:35:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
Ah, hahaha! Maybe so! I do think of Face every time I order a package. The USPS seems to always get hung with humping the last mile.

Hearing Face's eloquent laments about the inner workings of the post office, my views have mellowed a bit but I can't help but also recall that they screwed us for decades with junk mail and pretty much abandoned the public in favor of the bulk mailers as being their customers.

Well, that woman who built herself an eighty thousand dollar kitchen in a building slated for being torn down in five years could have spent the money on health insurance for Face, but didn't.
December 5th, 2018 at 8:00:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Hearing Face's eloquent laments about the inner workings of the post office, my views have mellowed a bit but I can't help but also recall that they screwed us for decades with junk mail and pretty much abandoned the public in favor of the bulk mailers as being their customers.

Junk mail was their profit center for years. Like any smart business you take care of the profitable customers.

One day I hope to build a greenhouse with a rocket-mass stove fueled by junk mail.
The President is a fink.