God and Gay Marriage

Page 3 of 31<123456>Last »
June 27th, 2015 at 7:07:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
A marriage with adopted children is still a marriage -- even between a man and a woman.

So, you could have a hundred ways gay marriage is like a marriage but you would say it is not a marriage?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 27th, 2015 at 7:43:34 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: FrGamble
Chose a bad time to be moving if I want to contribute to the forum. I also hate to draw fire away from Evenbob's usually incorrect statements. However I feel I should say something. Besides giving people a chance to hate on religion I'm not really sure why this thread exists and certainly I don't know why it is in the religion section.

On this, you are right. That is the reason this thread exists.

God doesn't hate on gays or anyone for that matter. The Church's stance on same-sex marriage is something that every society in human history till about 12 years ago agreed on. Sometimes there was disagreement on the number f people involved but everyone, everywhere believed marriage was between a man and a woman.

In regards to the Church I don't see how not calling a loving, committed, homosexual union a "marriage" is equivalent to saying God hates gays. In reading the dissents it is not as if the judges didn't see the emotional and justice issue that gays and lesbians were in, some were moved by them (as anyone should be), however everyone of those who did not agree say it is the ultimate in hubris for a court of nine unelected and unrepresentative lawyers make a decision for the whole nation on such an issue. Especially a decision that went against the entire history and precedent of every human society. Are there not other ways to make equality than calling two obviously different things the same? Is there no other way than by a judicial super-legislative action by the judicial branch of our government to create equality under the law? Justice Scalia said, "A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy."

On all the rest of this you are willfully shortsighted. However, I will grant you some slack because as a Catholic priest you have no choice in it; if you didn't hold this position, you couldn't be what you are.

I will correct one thing, though. "The Church's stance on same-sex marriage is something that every society in human history till about 12 years ago agreed on." That is simply not true, and all you have to do is use the Google.
June 27th, 2015 at 7:51:16 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Mosca

I will correct one thing, though. "The Church's stance on same-sex marriage is something that every society in human history till about 12 years ago agreed on." That is simply not true, and all you have to do is use the Google.

Good correction, you are right. Let me rephrase that the Catholic Church's teaching that marriage is between a man and a woman is something that every society in human history agreed upon until very, very recently.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 27th, 2015 at 9:50:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The Church's stance on same-sex marriage is something that every society in human history till about 12 years ago agreed on.

The church's stance on marriage equality is not only wrong, it's morally repugnant.

Quote:
[..]it is the ultimate in hubris for a court of nine unelected and unrepresentative lawyers make a decision for the whole nation on such an issue.

I'm willing to bet all the money on Earth, plus my non-existent immortal soul, that if the decision had been the opposite, you wouldn't be carping about the Justices being unelected, nor would you see anything wrong in them deciding for the whole nation on such an issue.

Quote:
Are there not other ways to make equality than calling two obviously different things the same?

No, because placing a whole group of people permanently in second-class status as far as rights go is not what equality means.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 27th, 2015 at 11:36:12 AM permalink
Mosca
Good correction, you are right. Let me rephrase that the Catholic Church's teaching that marriage is between a man and a woman is something that every society in human history agreed upon until very, very recently.

Again you are wrong, just use the Google. Heck, you can just wiki it. Even in the Catholic Church, marriage was not a sacrament until the 12th century. In medieval France two men could enter enfrerement, "enbrotherment", "a vehicle for civil unions between unrelated male adults who pledged to live together sharing ‘un pain, un vin, et une bourse’ – one bread, one wine, and one purse." A same-sex marriage between the two men Pedro Díaz and Muño Vandilaz in the Galician municipality of Rairiz de Veiga in Spain occurred on 16 April 1061. They were married by a priest at a small chapel. The historic documents about the church wedding were found at Monastery of San Salvador de Celanova.

I don't care what you believe, but I do think that you need to place it properly in its historic context. Homosexuality has been around as long as people have been around, and there are as many different ways of addressing it as there are cultures in history, including recent Western history.
June 27th, 2015 at 11:49:07 AM permalink
Mosca
In reading the dissents it is not as if the judges didn't see the emotional and justice issue that gays and lesbians were in, some were moved by them (as anyone should be), however everyone of those who did not agree say it is the ultimate in hubris for a court of nine unelected and unrepresentative lawyers make a decision for the whole nation on such an issue.... Is there no other way than by a judicial super-legislative action by the judicial branch of our government to create equality under the law? Justice Scalia said, "A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy."

Scalia is being intentionally argumentative here. Law was not made; law was interpreted. All people having the same rights and privileges is a Constitutional guarantee. All people being allowed to marry has done nothing to Catholic marriages. They are still the exact same as they were last week.

The world is now a better place. I don't understand the pique, unless someone is bent out of shape that they are no longer especially special.
June 27th, 2015 at 1:24:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
George Takei, Mr Sulu from Star Trek, says
religion is next. The Catholic Church is
next. Catholic Gays want to be married in
a Catholic church by a real priest and have
it recognized by god as a legal marriage.
It's inevitable that this is coming.

A bishop said yesterday:

"It sets the Church's teaching about marriage in opposition to the law and will create inestimable conflicts between the state and religious persons and institutions.. The Catholic Church will continue to preach the truth about marriage and will promote, in the public square, this truth as what is good for society and our world."

We'll see how that works out. They will be
preaching something that goes against the
law of the land. They aren't supposed to do
that. They'll still be turning away Gays who
want to marry in the Church. SCOTUS will
eventually tell them they can't do that, and
things will change forever.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2015 at 2:38:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Didn't know about the "enbrotherment", maybe that could be the term used for the civil unions of two men? I still don't know why we can't ensure the rights of homosexuals who desire to enter into a committed and loving relationship without calling it something it is not. The word marriage, outside of some obscure "wedding" Mosca found, has always meant the union of opposite genders. It's not that marriage wants to remain especially special it is just a fact that the union of two men or women is different than that of a man and woman. You can't deny that without denying the significance of what it means to be male or female. Shouldn't we call different things different names? This isn't complicated theology, it is just logic.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 27th, 2015 at 2:45:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
George Takei, Mr Sulu from Star Trek, says
religion is next. The Catholic Church is
next. Catholic Gays want to be married in
a Catholic church by a real priest and have
it recognized by god as a legal marriage.
It's inevitable that this is coming.

A bishop said yesterday:

"It sets the Church's teaching about marriage in opposition to the law and will create inestimable conflicts between the state and religious persons and institutions.. The Catholic Church will continue to preach the truth about marriage and will promote, in the public square, this truth as what is good for society and our world."

We'll see how that works out. They will be
preaching something that goes against the
law of the land. They aren't supposed to do
that. They'll still be turning away Gays who
want to marry in the Church. SCOTUS will
eventually tell them they can't do that, and
things will change forever.

You just cant go up to a church and say I want to be married in your church.
It doesn't work that way.
On the other hand, a couple that belong to the congregation and have tithed, well , they may have a case. Operative word is "may"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 27th, 2015 at 2:55:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

On the other hand, a couple that belong to the congregation and have tithed, well , they may have a case. Operative word is "may"

That's the point of all this. A Gay couple can
now get married but are still not on equal
ground with non Gays because most major
churches won't marry them. That's what
all of this has always been about. Gays won't
be happy until their church welcomes their
marriage with open arms. Never gonna happen
you say? 15 years ago they said yesterdays
decision would never happen. Time to change
the constitution with a new amendment about
religious freedom.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 31<123456>Last »