God and Gay Marriage

June 27th, 2015 at 7:59:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
The truth of same-sex unions in the Church

As early as St. Paul the Church had a clear notion of the sacramentality of Marriage:
"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. Even so husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no man ever hates his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one.” (Ephesians 6:25-28)

This pie in the sky mumbo jumbo applies
to Gays as well as non Gays. How could it
not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2015 at 8:32:37 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Where is the 'fundamental'
difference, I don't see it. In fact, I see no difference
at all.

Do you see a difference between men and women?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 27th, 2015 at 8:33:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What I am saying is that the relationship between two men or women is fundamentally different than the relationship between a man and a woman and our language should reflect that.

How is a same sex marriage in any essential way different from a heterosexual marriage?

BTW, it strikes me as odd and extremely destructive to question the legitimacy of the judicial power because of disagreement over a word.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 27th, 2015 at 8:55:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
How is a same sex marriage in any essential way different from a heterosexual marriage?

BTW, it strikes me as odd and extremely destructive to question the legitimacy of the judicial power because of disagreement over a word.

Because men and women are different, surely this is true.

As many of the judges themselves said the court using its judicial power to legislate is odd and extremely destructive.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 27th, 2015 at 9:18:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Do you see a difference between men and women?

Men are men and women are women. Married
to each other or the opposite sex, what's
the difference. If a Gay couple adopt a baby,
they have everything a regular couple has.
If they don't adopt, they have everything
a childless couple has. You see a fundamental
difference here, what is it. I don't have a clue.

(I don't think you see a difference either,
you were just trying to be provocative
and got called on it)
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2015 at 9:25:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
If a Gay couple adopt a baby,
they have everything a regular couple has.
If they don't adopt, they have everything
a childless couple has. You see a fundamental
difference here, what is it. I don't have a clue.

With a gay couple who adopt the difference is not having a biological mother and father or if the couple is childless the complimentary of the sexes is not present.
June 27th, 2015 at 10:22:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Scalia's complaint about the SCOTUS twisting and doing backflips to justify a ruling surely applies to the various positions of the Catholic Church. Ironically Scalia is Catholic.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 27th, 2015 at 10:50:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Ironically I think the majority of the court are Catholic.
June 27th, 2015 at 11:46:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
With a gay couple who adopt the difference is not having a biological mother and father or if the couple is childless the complimentary of the sexes is not present.

It's a minor difference, and you have just
offended Gay adoptive parents everywhere.
Seriously, they hate it when they get painted
with that brush. They are just as capable,
sometimes more so, of bringing up healthy,
well adjusted kids.
June 28th, 2015 at 1:14:14 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Because men and women are different, surely this is true.

As many of the judges themselves said the court using its judicial power to legislate is odd and extremely destructive.

Scalia is pouting. He had no problem creating far more than law with his Citizens United decision.

Men and women are different under the law, how? In what way should the law address the differences? In what way should the law make one or the other less than equal? Think before you answer.