TRAGIC MOMENTS

July 5th, 2015 at 2:08:43 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Be quiet BOB, would say shut up, but Babs might suspend me. Like most teenage boys in the 50's I had a crush on Annette Funicello. I had a first cousin named Francis who was a Annette look alike. Her nickname was Cookie. 1962-66 I was in USAF. By time I got out, Cookie
had been MISS USO, married, 1 baby daughter. Her husband just was ex minor league ball player, driving Jewel Tea truck, Cookie had quit her job as a RN.
They moved into inter-grated neighborhood off Rogers Avenue in Baltimore. That's what real estate agent told them. Only white couple for block around. I used to stop by, once a week or so, after all night sessions at cards or pool or whatever, 8 or 9 am , hot summer. Would buy loaf of french bread , gallon of milk, and pound of Land of Lakes butter. ( you know the quarter sticks with the end flap than even today can tittilate teenage boys ) Don't tell Babs.
We would eat and watch Dialing for Dollars on B&W TV, with her daughter in playpen. 2 years ago I googled Cookie's married name just prior to a trip back to Balltimore. Up popped her obit, 62, long battle with cancer, Head of Nursing, etc. Never found the courage to call her husband. What the hell would I say !
If only that were the tragic moment. Few months ago her brother spike tracked me down, and said he wanted send me some family pix . Pix of Late Aunt Mary, Uncle Roy. Spike and his wife of 25 years, and their 2 adopted kids. Pix of one of Cookies daughter and her husband. And one more pix, looked like Cookie at first glance, then became aware it had to be her other daughter. WOW she looked so much like Cookie. Turned it over to be sure. " This is Francis' daughter Jenny. Unfortunately she commited suicide "

Yeah, Spike coulda warned me. But what the hell could he have said. Before I turned the pix over, I thought it would be great to visit Cookie's daughter, share some milk and buttered bread, tell her how great her Mom was.
July 5th, 2015 at 3:33:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Babs is not a mod here, just Face and Mike.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2015 at 10:08:14 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
No wonder it seems nicer in here. LOL