Who would want to work at a place like this?

July 10th, 2015 at 6:21:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Consider this a rant, but maybe we can have fun discussing. I am currently between clients. I have given up hope of having a "normal" job that lasts over a year again. Like Peter Gibbons, I don't think I want another job. I want another project, prefer long-term. And I want to build a few side-hustles to level out the income dips. I've stated all this. But I still look at want-ads. Some just in case I find an interesting gig, some to benchmark, some for entertainment. This kind of ad, though, drives me nuts!

Overview
We are looking for an individual with an outgoing personality, like to smile and have a sincere desire to help others, apply today to join our winning team. Operation Managers are responsible for all facets of our program at the local level.

Quote:
OPERATONS MANAGER

Job Skills/Requirements
APPLICATION OF OPERATING MODEL
Apply our company standard concepts, processes, practices and policies to daily operations to address local needs and concerns.
OPERATIONAL OVERSIGHT
Responsible for daily guidance and direction. Develops a custom plan to maximize visibility and effectiveness of resources (personnel and equipment). Evaluates daily needs and adjusts the plan to meet the daily needs of the program.
HUMAN RESOURCES
Recruits, selects potential candidates for hire. Trains, coaches and mentors selected staff to create a cohesive team.
QUALITY ASSURANCE
Ensures service expectations are being met through regular contact with customer; evaluates quality of services through measuring individual employee performances compared to expectations and overall program performance, making adjustments as necessary.
CUSTOMER RELATIONS
Actively engages customer representative to discuss local issues and to set a course for continual program evolution. Implements new local strategies to continually improve service delivery.
REPORTING
Using a combination of standard reporting processes combined with processes developed specifically to update our customer on accomplishments and program effectiveness.
HANDS ON
The Operation Manager is an important element of the programs visibility and is expected to be both a working manager that actively participates in identifying daily tasks and duties, but also develops the strategic plans necessary to exceed our customer's expectations
PHYSICAL ABILITIES
Must have the physical capacity to walk continuously during an eight hour shift, with normal breaks. Must be able to work outdoors in all conditions with provided inclement weather gear.
COMPUTER SKILLS
Must be proficient in computer usage and in Microsoft Office products.
COMMUNICATION
Must be able to speak, read, and write the English language in order to create basic reports.

What kind of human being writes this kind of thing? I know, this is a cut-n-paste of the job description. I seriously wonder, though, what goes through their mind in using it as an ad? Would anything here make you want to work wherever this is?
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2015 at 6:42:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Being in and out of work in your 40's
is one thing. When you hit 50 things
change, you might find yourself mostly
out of work, with no in.

Time to start thinking long term. My
brother went to truck driving school
and is readily employable at 60, he
turns jobs down. You need to think
about the fact Social Security pays
you according to last few years you
worked before retirement.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2015 at 6:55:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Being in and out of work in your 40's
is one thing. When you hit 50 things
change, you might find yourself mostly
out of work, with no in.

Time to start thinking long term. My
brother went to truck driving school
and is readily employable at 60, he
turns jobs down. You need to think
about the fact Social Security pays
you according to last few years you
worked before retirement.

I am thinking that way. Fortunately the gigs I have this matters not as much. If you are good you are good and employable, it is all freelance so they do not care so much. I'll eke out some living my last 20 years of employment. Skills are where it is at. Plus a willingness to do the unconventional. Heck, if I set up the next house right I can dog-sit. Those people make sick cash. Get the first few clients and you get all the referrals you need.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2015 at 7:32:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
Plus a willingness to do the unconventional. Heck, if I set up the next house right I can dog-sit. Those people make sick cash. Get the first few clients and you get all the referrals you need.
depends. I was a cat sitter for quite a while and I've guess I've now progressed to dog sitter. dog walkers don't make that much money but they do okay, dog walkers at shelters of course are always volunteers (don't think the dogs don't realize each day's kennel assignment is closer and closer to that final door).

the money can be good but it takes a other than Nine to five attitude to get gigs. Many come from coffee shops. dog sitters always have access to everything in the fridges and pantry. Its mainly that professional pet hoteliers are real ripoffs and often ex drug addicts.

Now I'm in florida and most events are 90 percent female 10 percent male... for some strange reason the women actually find my having been a cat sitter to interesting. got dragged to a wine and art night and darn near had to beat off the curious women who were not yet blotto.

drug driving. big money in some areas of the country, but alot of rigs went up for sale when the driver owners had things go slack.
all those lumber truck drivers in washington state cursed the spotted owl that dampened the lumber industry. when they did get gigs, they often had not paid their insurance. Many turned to driving lighter cargoes or agricultural security work.

Openness to novel jobs is important. One woman took a dishwasher job on an antartic bound vessel and found out that she was not washing the dinner dishes by hand but instead operating a scientific glassware washing machine, which means she pressed the on button and sat there signing the secret number into the log at the end of the wash cycle. about an hour and half of work durig her twelve hour shift. a cheer goes up when the ship returns and drops anchor because anyone who has not been helicoptered out as a pyche case gets a 100 percent bonus. so she wound up reading all the time and making good money for a job that was listed on the board as "dishwasher".
July 11th, 2015 at 4:22:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff

Now I'm in florida and most events are 90 percent female 10 percent male... for some strange reason the women actually find my having been a cat sitter to interesting. got dragged to a wine and art night and darn near had to beat off the curious women who were not yet blotto.

Events?

Quote:
Openness to novel jobs is important. One woman took a dishwasher job on an antartic bound vessel and found out that she was not washing the dinner dishes by hand but instead operating a scientific glassware washing machine, which means she pressed the on button and sat there signing the secret number into the log at the end of the wash cycle. about an hour and half of work durig her twelve hour shift. a cheer goes up when the ship returns and drops anchor because anyone who has not been helicoptered out as a pyche case gets a 100 percent bonus. so she wound up reading all the time and making good money for a job that was listed on the board as "dishwasher".

That would be a sweet gig, so long as you had loaded up on books and other items to pass the time, But back to the OP, I look at that ad and get a headache from reading it. Gives such little detail about the job. Heck, doesn't even mention the effing industry!
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2015 at 11:05:25 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
If the money was good, I'd check it out. Sounds like it could be Amway, door to door solar panel sales or ADT home security systems.
July 11th, 2015 at 11:10:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
If the money was good, I'd check it out. Sounds like it could be Amway, door to door solar panel sales or ADT home security systems.

Doesn't sound like Amway, I deleted the parts that show it is a W-2 job. I just was wondering if anyone else gets a headache from reading it.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2015 at 3:46:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
Events?
wine, mood music and copy this oil painting, art walks, theater support, bingo, exotic fruit lecture, Permaculture to change the world, cave man diet, Juice Yourself to death, Light weights for seniors, allligator wrestling for single seniors, manange your 401k, flip your lid while flipping properties, Make your own paper, paint your silly ashtray with your daughter, botany of alcohol, celestial navigation for the landlubber, etc. etc.

>>>>That would be a sweet gig, so long as you had loaded up on books and other items to pass the time,
the ship has a library, films, internet access, sport room, gym, ... anything to keep people from being helicoptered out as psychos.
all free of course sine there is an iron clad rule that anyone found in possession of any amount of money is instantly discharged.

> But back to the OP, I look at that ad and get a headache from reading it.
so do we all get headaches from it.
July 11th, 2015 at 4:12:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
wine, mood music and copy this oil painting, art walks, theater support, bingo, exotic fruit lecture, Permaculture to change the world, cave man diet, Juice Yourself to death, Light weights for seniors, allligator wrestling for single seniors, manange your 401k, flip your lid while flipping properties, Make your own paper, paint your silly ashtray with your daughter, botany of alcohol, celestial navigation for the landlubber, etc. etc.

Nice! I need to find a source locally.
The President is a fink.