Great quotations

July 9th, 2016 at 12:09:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
¯ Christopher Hitchens
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2016 at 12:18:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
¯ Christopher Hitchens

That's the whole god argument. I have no
evidence for god, but you have to believe
he exists. It's crazy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2016 at 6:24:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
“I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian Beaver Cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof, and in the case of god, as in the case of the composition of the moon, this has shifted radically. God used to be the best explanation we'd got, and we've now got vastly better ones. God is no longer an explanation of anything, but has instead become something that would itself need an insurmountable amount of explaining. So I don't think that being convinced that there is no god is as irrational or arrogant a point of view as belief that there is. I don't think the matter calls for even-handedness at all.”
― Douglas Adams
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 25th, 2016 at 12:41:41 AM permalink
rxwine
From a movie with Kirk Douglass.

"Job pays 60 a week"

"I'll take it! Where's my desk?"

"The one by the door. You may be outta here by Saturday."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 25th, 2016 at 12:53:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

Hitchens's razor is actually an English translation of the Latin proverb "Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur", more commonly translated as "What is freely asserted is freely deserted."

What I remember from philosophy class was "A statement which is impervious to empiricism, is not really a statement."

December 6th, 2016 at 11:04:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Most of the Quora stuff goes to junk mail folder, but I liked this answer well enough.

Quote:

The Feynman Technique was how Richard Feynman integrated knowledge and has helped me enormously in the past few years.
There are three steps to the Feynman Technique.

Step 1: Teach it to a child
Take out a blank sheet of paper and write the subject you want to learn at the top. Write out what you know about the subject as if you were teaching it to a child. Not your smart adult friend but rather an 8-year-old who has just enough vocabulary and attention span to understand basic concepts and relationships.
A lot of people tend to use complicated vocabulary and jargon to mask when they don�t understand something. The problem is we only fool ourselves because we don�t know that we don�t understand. In addition, using jargon conceals our misunderstanding from those around us.
When you write out an idea from start to finish in simple language that a child can understand (tip: use only the most common words), you force yourself to understand the concept at a deeper level and simplify relationships and connections between ideas. If you struggle, you have a clear understanding of where you have some gaps. That tension is good �it heralds an opportunity to learn.

Step 2: Review
In step one, you will inevitably encounter gaps in your knowledge where you�re forgetting something important, are not able to explain it, or simply have trouble connecting an important concept.
This is invaluable feedback because you�ve discovered the edge of your knowledge. Competence is knowing the limit of your abilities, and you�ve just identified one!
This is where the learning starts. Now you know where you got stuck, go back to the source material and re-learn it until you can explain it in basic terms.
Identifying the boundaries of your understanding also limits the mistakes you�re liable to make and increases your chance of success when applying knowledge.

Step 3: Organize and Simplify
Now you have a set of hand-crafted notes. Review them to make sure you didn�t mistakenly borrow any of the jargon from the source material.
Organize them into a simple story that flows.
Read them out loud. If the explanation isn�t simple or sounds confusing that�s a good indication that your understanding in that area still needs some work.
May 18th, 2017 at 8:27:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries." -James Madison
March 27th, 2018 at 12:38:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
"The answer to home problems is to teach men how to combine a career and a home."
-- Lillian Moller Gilbreth, 1932
March 27th, 2018 at 12:47:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"The answer to home problems is to teach men how to combine a career and a home."
-- Lillian Moller Gilbreth, 1932

To teach them how to do housework, that's
what she means. In 1932 wives didn't work,
for the most part. So she wants the man
to do it all, then. Nice..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 27th, 2018 at 4:53:49 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't know who said this originally but I quote it a lot, "The ridiculous a notion is, the more tenaciously it tends to be held."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber