Why???

Page 1 of 41234>
July 13th, 2015 at 3:30:03 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Why block people and then create threads about topics they like to discuss? I should create a thread about tansgendered history buffs who like science fiction just so Nareed could feel the torture of seeing something she wants to reply to but can't.

On another note though; why would anyone believe that there is no God? That is like believing that there is no ultimate happiness, no perfection, no meaning, or ultimate purpose and then to top it off atheism can never be squared with the most fundamental truth - that we exist and that there is something rather than nothing. Atheism just seems like an ultimate fail; a lose-lose-lose for everyone.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 13th, 2015 at 3:44:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Atheism just seems like an ultimate fail; a lose-lose-lose for everyone.

When in fact, atheism is nothing. It's not
a win or a loss. It's not even a state of mind.
I never think about it, unless it's a discussion.
It's like blood sausage. Never seen it, never
had it, never think about it. Why would I.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2015 at 4:09:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

[Atheism] It's like blood sausage.

Best quote ever!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 13th, 2015 at 4:20:07 PM permalink
Evenbob

Best quote ever!

Except sausage is a thing, and atheism is
not. Atheism isn't even a concept, it's
a lack of a concept.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2015 at 4:37:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

On another note though; why would anyone believe that there is no God? That is like believing that there is no ultimate happiness, no perfection, no meaning, or ultimate purpose and then to top it off atheism can never be squared with the most fundamental truth - that we exist and that there is something rather than nothing. Atheism just seems like an ultimate fail; a lose-lose-lose for everyone.

To believe in God is to believe in something greater than yourself, this causes some folks some issues. Some believe in things like "global warming" to fill that void but they do not like the rules of any God but happy with the rules of man. Others "answer to no one."

Some atheists have a weird relationship with religion. Larry Flynt says he hates religion, but he and Jerry Falwell were the best of friends.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2015 at 6:46:31 PM permalink
FrGamble

Best quote ever!

Except sausage is a thing, and atheism is
not. Atheism isn't even a concept, it's
a lack of a concept.

I think you are thinking of agnosticism. The positive statement that there is no God is a concept. It is a bold proclamation and a statement of what one believes and feels strongly is a truth. If I was an atheist I too would try to think of it as a non-thing or a non-concept, but you can't make truth statements without being a thing.
July 13th, 2015 at 8:00:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is a bold proclamation and a statement of what one believes and feels strongly is a truth.

Not it's not, yet you keeps saying it.
Lack of a belief is not a belief. Saying
that god does not exist is not a belief,
it's a statement based on lack of facts.
There shouldn't even be a word for it,
like there is no special word for the
nonexistence of unicorns. You give
us way more credit than we deserve.

It's like when I had the cab co, one
of my black drivers told me that the
white man was the reason blacks
were in the position they were in.
We were always holding them back.
I told him it was far worse than that.
Most whites I knew could care less
what the blacks did, we had our own
selves to worry about. He didn't get
it, just like you don't get atheism.

You act like we sit around all day actively
denying gods existence, when in fact
we give it no thought at all. Just like
unicorns rarely cross my mind.
July 13th, 2015 at 9:54:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
Not it's not, yet you keeps saying it.

Yes it is and yet you keep saying it's not.

Quote:
Saying that god does not exist is not a belief,
it's a statement based on lack of facts.

So it is a belief based on what you perceive as a lack of evidence. This is still a belief, just like a belief we share that there are no unicorns. You can't get away with making a statement about something and then any time it is challenged or questioned you say that it is not a belief, or a statement, or a concept, it is just nothing. Then why even hold such a "thing"? Especially if you can't defend it with any evidence - wait a second I sound like you talking to me. That is because we are both holding a belief the other person thinks there is no evidence for, except for in this case there is plenty of evidence on my side and none on yours.

Quote:
It's like when I had the cab co, one
of my black drivers told me that the
white man was the reason blacks
were in the position they were in.
We were always holding them back.
I told him it was far worse than that.
Most whites I knew could care less
what the blacks did, we had our own
selves to worry about. He didn't get
it, just like you don't get atheism.

This sounds like agnosticism or something even far worse, spiritual laziness.
July 13th, 2015 at 10:38:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
So it is a belief based on what you perceive as a lack of evidence. This is still a belief, just like a belief we share that there are no unicorns.

Lets settle this once and for all. From the
American Atheists home page:

"Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
Atheism is not a belief system.." http://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism?

Theists are always trying to define atheism
for us, as the article points out. Lack of belief
is NOT a belief. 'I lack a belief in gods' is a far
better way of saying it. That's a much clearer
statement than 'I don't believe in gods'. In
fact, I shall use it from now on.
July 13th, 2015 at 11:03:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
That phraseology is much better. Saying you "lack a belief in God or gods" gives a sense that you are open to the possibility, but have not been convinced. This is a healthy state of mind considering there is no evidence to say there is no God. It is interesting to me that even on the atheist home page they need to clarify that they are not saying they disbelieve in God, but rather they lack in a belief in gods. They should rename it the American Agnostic page.
Page 1 of 41234>