Why???

Page 2 of 4<1234>
July 14th, 2015 at 12:06:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It is interesting to me that even on the atheist home page they need to clarify that they are not saying they disbelieve in God, but rather they lack in a belief in gods. .

He explained that by saying theists and
dictionaries are constantly trying to tell
atheists who they are.

A lack of belief is not a belief. It's an
important distinction. I don't get up
every day worrying about if there's
a god or not. Unlike a lot of theists..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2015 at 6:15:19 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yet again... a thread wherein fleastiff will spout his ignorance.

Upthread someone used the term "blood sausage". I've heard it before and will soon be doing dictionary/wikipedia stuff briefly. I'm thinking of the topic and I know the entry will be brief and conclusionary whereas any entry about religion will be neither brief nor dispositive of the issue.

we have our Outdoors men here: face and his war wagon crew who enjoy getting whacked by a hockey puck at seventeen below zero while drunk, which is only one critical step better than enjoying it while sober. these outdoors types are frequently enjoying nature, mountains, streams, lakes, boats, naked broads, beer and being chased across tropical islands by huge coconut crabs, real and imagined.

they do not find it necessary to analyze the creation of fish or hot sunshine or cold beer. they just enjoy it.
If brother gambler wanders by in sandals and collar he might indeed bring up the topic of creation but our brother gambler would realize that it was a two and a half beer topic. after that it is finished. debate is concluded, discussion is over.

One can wander a midst but its best to enjoy it rather than wallowing in thoughts of post death events. You kill the fish, you eat it, you don't wonder if the fish went to heaven. You drink the beer, you piss it out and its pretty much the same process whether you are pissing on a woman because male urine will save her life from a fish toxin or you are pissing into the ocean from the side of your boat. One may be associated with noble thoughts and acts but then so too is the other.

One who politely discusses atheism or creationism or a few of those other isms for two and a half beers is making an interesting inquiry but one who wanders around in the hot sun obsessed by the "answer" that he already had and wants others to adopt, is not experiencing nature or embracing its wonders and is more likely to want to piss on the atheists than the woman with the toxin. He is the imaginary crab, the mosquito, the warm rather than cold beer. He is the one who is most denying the existence of a God by his actions while invoking God's name for his own purposes. surely he should let people enjoy the fish without a discussion of fish heaven or thou shalt not kill. surely he should let people have a cold beer on a hot sunny day rather than insisting it be a warm one because of his jabbering. If there is indeed a Heaven and the fish really is there now...then have a cold beer and silently think of the fish's soul.

It is possible to "see the Creator" in the fish, the sun, the moon, the water, the island ... but its less and less possible to "see the Creator" in a man who makes the beer warm and the soles of our feet warm by speaking eternal damnation of walking on hot coals for ever.
July 14th, 2015 at 8:10:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

You act like we sit around all day actively
denying gods existence, when in fact
we give it no thought at all. Just like
unicorns rarely cross my mind.

Shall we count the posts you have made denying God's existence?
The President is a fink.
July 14th, 2015 at 8:29:19 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: FrGamble
Why block people and then create threads about topics they like to discuss? I should create a thread about tansgendered history buffs who like science fiction just so Nareed could feel the torture of seeing something she wants to reply to but can't.

On another note though; why would anyone believe that there is no God? That is like believing that there is no ultimate happiness, no perfection, no meaning, or ultimate purpose and then to top it off atheism can never be squared with the most fundamental truth - that we exist and that there is something rather than nothing. Atheism just seems like an ultimate fail; a lose-lose-lose for everyone.

Just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it so.

Also, I like blood sausage, and would now like some black pudding. Dammit.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 14th, 2015 at 8:32:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman

Thats meaningless.
The only time I think about god is when I come to this board. Probabbly the same for Bob.

Its kind of like talking to a passionate english soccer fan. They are incredulous you dont follow soccer and dont care about Leeds vs Manchester.
I just dont care and dont think about it.
I think about english soccer as often as I think about god, which is never, unless I come to this board.
AZ, how often do you think about English soccer? Thats how much I think about god. Its just not something I think about.

Its like FRgamble is a passionate soccer fan and cant believe we dont pick Leeds or Manchester.
I dont think about english soccer, I dont think about god.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 14th, 2015 at 8:47:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
They are incredulous you dont follow soccer and dont care about Leeds vs Manchester.

Soccer is actually real, more's the pity.

But "Leeds" sounds made up :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 14th, 2015 at 9:10:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Soccer is actually real, more's the pity.

But "Leeds" sounds made up :)

Its real.
Its very very important to a lot of people just like believing in god is important to a lot of people.
People are passionate about this rivalry just as people are passionate about god.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_F.C.%E2%80%93Manchester_United_F.C._rivalry

Yet I think of neither English soccer, the rivalry or god.

Religion does fasicinate me. The Super Power building is over in the next county. They actually teach their people how to develop super powers.
Who wouldn't be interested in super powers? I want to be super duper man :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_Building
Regardless, it does not make me think about god
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 14th, 2015 at 9:35:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

AZ, how often do you think about English soccer? Thats how much I think about god. Its just not something I think about.

If you did not think about it or care you would not post about it, nor would Bob. You obviously care enough to get involved in the discussion. That is the difference between atheism and agnostic. If you were agnostic you would give a bug "meh" religious post. Instead you take a position.

Posting constitutes thinking about it.
The President is a fink.
July 14th, 2015 at 10:13:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Who wouldn't be interested in super powers? I want to be super duper man :-)

And be forever the target of ingenious plots by insane criminals? Not to mention having to be wary around green rocks. I'd pass :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 14th, 2015 at 11:56:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Shall we count the posts where I've said
I only think about it when it comes up
in a discussion like this one?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 4<1234>