Dwarf Planets are still planets

July 14th, 2015 at 6:35:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Today NASA's New Horizons probe reached its closest approach to Pluto, the erstwhile ninth planet. Due to technical considerations, too many to list, the probe will be incommunicado until later today. Then, due to the same issues, will take months to transmit all its data back to Earth. We should see some images tomorrow, if all goes well.

Controversies aside, Pluto should prove interesting.

The probe still has some fuel to burn. If all goes well and funding holds, it might be directed to another Kuiper Belt object. This might prove even more interesting.

I have assumed whether or not this happens, the probe will remain active, like the Voyagers have, as it sails out of the Solar system.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 15th, 2015 at 6:57:19 AM permalink
Nareed
New Horizons called NASA yesterday and all seems to be well. We should get some additional news and some visuals later today.
July 15th, 2015 at 3:39:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote:
Dwarf Planets are still planets

Not that anyone asked, but I support Pluto's demotion to "dwarf planet."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 15th, 2015 at 6:15:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
I have assumed whether or not this happens, the probe will remain active, like the Voyagers have, as it sails out of the Solar system.

Sooner later we're going to get complaints about trashing up Interstellar space.

(tha'sa joke)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2015 at 7:18:26 AM permalink
Nareed
The big question found by the probe seems to be: why are Pluto and Charon so geologically active? Unfortunately the answer to that question won't come cheap, easy or soon.

BTW, the New horizons probe carries the ashes of Clyde Tombaugh, and one postage stamp featuring Pluto and the words "Not Yet Explored." It was part of a series of stamps of the planets, listing which probes had been sent to each. Pluto was the lone hold out. had the IAU declared it not a planet sooner, the set would have been different.

No word, as far as I know, on whether it carries a plaque and/or data concerning Earth like Pioneers X and XI and Voyagers 1 and 2 did.
August 3rd, 2015 at 1:04:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Found this today.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?