Rust problem?

Page 2 of 2<12
July 17th, 2015 at 3:46:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
All vehicles rust eventually, it's not the
end of the world. The engine and drive
train are what matters.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 17th, 2015 at 4:31:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: FrGamble
Anyway, I must not know what to look for in regards to rust.

Easy game.

Rust begins small (obv). New rust will be orange and powdery. Rub it and your finger looks like you were into the Cheetos. You can't rub it off, though, as it's likely pitted. New rust is a problem only on the body. If you see it, like inside a chip from a rock hitting your hood, best bet is to take a Dremel and buzz it out like a cavity. Then wipe with some sort of solvent (isopropyl, acetone, etc) and cover with acrylic enamel. They sell little touch up bottles at any parts store for like $4. Goes on like nail polish. The color won't match, but pewter over silver looks a lot better than a jagged, orangy-brown hole. And an orangy-brown hole is what it will turn into in about 3 years. Always fill a nick before it goes orange.

From there, rust turns a darker brown and starts to layer. On the body is very bad, you're quite close to hole territory and it's gonna take a day to fix. On any part of the exhaust and the clock's ticking on that. Brakes lines is bad news, too. Remember they're pressurized, and iron oxide doesn't have the strength of steel.

Post-layer and it starts to flake. Pretty much the frame is the only place this is "OK", but there is a limit, obv. My frame is flaking all to hell and back, but it's solid as a rock. No holes, no squishy, it's good to go. My race cars springs are likewise terrible, and they're working just fine. But on a brake line and it'll go any second, on the exhaust and it's already leaking, on a shock reservoir and it's about to leak... at flake point, it's a loss to restore it. Whatever it is will need replacing.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 17th, 2015 at 4:40:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble

I thank you for the comments and the advice I can sleep a little more peacefully knowing that I was ripped off royally in buying my pick-up truck. Peace!

??

Hope I was one to help. Some of us who know cars take for granted knowing what is normal and what is not. Reminds me not to make light when someone who knows less walks onto a lot.

Peace-out.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 2<12