the death of coal?

December 24th, 2015 at 9:13:45 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
As an aside, I also like the combined cycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_cycle) Internal Combustion / Steam power generators. I first saw one at the Henry Ford Museum. Apparently there are a few of them in use out there.

The basic idea is the exhaust heat from the internal combustion engine is used to create steam to drive a steam turbine.

Both the internal combustion engine and the steam turbine are driving electric generators.
Those combined cycle turbines are pretty awesome. I worked around one. When it's running it's like standing next to a jet engine off of a Boeing aircraft.

The one we had would run on either jet/a [fine diesel] or nat gas. We didn't have nat gas and had a very hard time shipping clean diesel in tankers that had ever hauled anything else.

There are some combined cycle gens that are mounted on truck and trailer units and are portable. It seems like they need a dozen or so of those right now to be siphoning off this incredible leak that is spewing unabated in Cali. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-12-24/unstoppable-california-gas-leak-now-being-called-worst-catastrophe-bp-spill

From the article; "methane - a greenhouse gas 72 times more impactful in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide - has been escaping from the Aliso Canyon site with force equivalent “to a volcanic eruption” for about two months now."

edit; An original article talked about flaring all this gas and stated the fumes would be worse than this raw gas. This makes me think that the threat of terrorists that we have all had to live under for 15 years isn't as dangerous was we are led to believe in all the media. Aircraft are diverted from the area partially so there are no sparks, same thing for workers in the area. If terrorists were around every corner, they could buy a 2 hundred dollar drone and easily fly it into the gas stream and light it. We are controlled by fear.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 24th, 2015 at 11:25:23 AM permalink
petroglyph
Looks like natural gas is dangerous after all? http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-12-24/dozens-killed-huge-nigeria-gas-plant-explosion
December 24th, 2015 at 6:25:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

If any current energy form was just discovered today as a society we would be afraid to use it. Same as most of our breakthroughs and accomplishments would never happen because of risk of a life being lost.
The President is a fink.
December 24th, 2015 at 7:41:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
If any current energy form was just discovered today as a society we would be afraid to use it. Same as most of our breakthroughs and accomplishments would never happen because of risk of a life being lost.

Oil was over 120, now it's under 40. Doesn't it seem like the economy should be on a tear? Lousy Christmas bump.

Was all that 80$, from speculators? Is this some global play to drive Putin under? How is this capitalism?
December 25th, 2015 at 4:43:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Oil was over 120, now it's under 40. Doesn't it seem like the economy should be on a tear? Lousy Christmas bump.

Was all that 80$, from speculators? Is this some global play to drive Putin under? How is this capitalism?

Economy has other drags on it, mainly from fear of more and more new regs. I'm on a team of about 15 contract workers. 12 years ago I was on a team of 15 new hires. Same industry, same kind of employer.

As to oil, speculators cannot really control the market even if they can make a short spike It is total capitalism. $140 oil in 2008 brings new production online and new tech as well, drives the price back to $40! Now I have to work in the banking end of things until it pops back to about $80, at which time I may be brought on as a team leader because they need to train a bunch of newbies again.

Capitalism works great if we only let it! By 1970s predictions we were supposed to have run out of oil by now. Instead we used every drop we had then and yet have even more proven in the ground today? Meanwhile we have yet to explore really far out in the oceans where trillions more bbl may be lurking.
The President is a fink.
December 25th, 2015 at 1:42:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Capitalism works great if we only let it!
Agreed.

Quote:
By 1970s predictions we were supposed to have run out of oil by now. Instead we used every drop we had then and yet have even more proven in the ground today? Meanwhile we have yet to explore really far out in the oceans where trillions more bbl may be lurking.
They have been drilling in Alaska and capping for quite a while. I think it is a strategic move, and a good one. Suck the ME dry and then use ours for us.

Did you quit delivering lost luggage? I think I found a side gig maybe you are aware of? My brothers room mate delivers legal notices for a pretty hi rate per hour.

He swears she makes 50 per hour driving to people and handing them legal documents whether they are willing to accept them or not. IDK what they all entail, but I assume it is documents like notices to appear and such. His roomy also worked for the IRS for awhile and sold funeral plots. She is a real hustler. But, IMO not the kind I want to know.

We don't speak, so that is all I know, but delivering notices if you were out driving around anyway, [since we determined you aren't really fond of people ))], seemed like a natural gig? Have you eye balled any abandoned pieces of wood?

I figured long ago that there is no better way to get even with someone you really didn't like then to sell them a piece of property they didn't want and couldn't get rid of. : ), It is a payback that lasts a really long time.
December 25th, 2015 at 1:47:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
This stuff must not be worth harvesting? http://geology.com/articles/methane-hydrates/
December 25th, 2015 at 6:39:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Agreed.

They have been drilling in Alaska and capping for quite a while. I think it is a strategic move, and a good one. Suck the ME dry and then use ours for us.

I have heard this theory. Danger is a substitute is found and it is for naught. OTOH if you are right all is well since you gave green paper in return for oil. It will get fun if this lasts a few years and the Saudis go broke, currently their deficit is 20% of their GDP!

Quote:
Did you quit delivering lost luggage? I think I found a side gig maybe you are aware of? My brothers room mate delivers legal notices for a pretty hi rate per hour.

He swears she makes 50 per hour driving to people and handing them legal documents whether they are willing to accept them or not. IDK what they all entail, but I assume it is documents like notices to appear and such. His roomy also worked for the IRS for awhile and sold funeral plots. She is a real hustler. But, IMO not the kind I want to know.

We don't speak, so that is all I know, but delivering notices if you were out driving around anyway, since we determined you aren't really fond of people ))], seemed like a natural gig? Have you eye balled any abandoned pieces of wood?

I keep forgetting how obvious I have been about that!

Still delivering luggage but winding it down. Today was only the second time since late October that I have had 30 hours in a row off. I am not going to complain a great deal after Face showing us what being beat down from work really is. However, I am beat down. Anytime I talk to my mother she remarks how tired I look or sound. Friends are telling me to slow the hell down and enjoy a bit. When I am off I cannot really relax. But the payoff is here. My 4 lines of credit that I had will soon be 3. The fall to 3 puts me on a <24 month payoff, liberating myself. How I cannot wait.

Enough rant. What you are talking about sounds like process serving. Not sure if you need to be a PI to do that or not, but it is not something I have looked into. Seen some of it on YT, might be a bit dangerous for a runt like me.

No abandoned wood yet. Still trying to get the saw working right. See time off, above. Needs a woodruff key installed, which I bought a few weekends back but have literally not had the energy and daylight to test since. I have been very slowly testing staining wood as well as a way to put paper on it for an effect. Very, very slow. Last few weekends so busy when I was off I was so tired I could hardly get off the couch.

Will happen soon and when I do expect some DIY Thread updates. Something about that thread I love adding to so much. Something about seeing what you made work. Got more compliments on my ramp today from my sisters' in-laws who hobbled up it. So simple yet so much satisfaction.
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2017 at 7:58:47 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Interesting news out of Britain.

In 2011, coal produced 40% of U.K. electricity.

In 2015, coal produced 23% of UK electricity.

In 2016, coal produced 9% of UK electricity.

In the first 6 months of 2017, it was down to 2%.

On April 21, 2017, no coal was used in the UK for electricity. It was the first day since 1882 that that's ever happened.
November 7th, 2017 at 8:38:25 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The flip side of this is that 150,000 plus people lost their jobs and the coal mine towns are starting to look like Detroit does and have massive unemployment. Nothing happens in a vacuum but too many people only want to consider one side of any question.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin