Mystifying ads

July 24th, 2015 at 9:07:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There are two types of ads I can never comprehend:

1) When using the product or service advertised gets the person using it in trouble.

There are lots of example. One I recall offhand is for Volaris, when they advertised one could make payments for their tickets at banks and postal offices. The radio ad featured an aggressive and suspicious wife accusing her husband of sending money and letters to some floozy. Nice, eh? "Use our new convenient payment service and ruin your marriage!" Besides, though this ad ran earlier in the decade, who sends letters by mail these days?

2) When they make claims that every competing product or service offers as well.

Recently a cable company here is offering a "triple-play" package (phone, TV and internet), pushing the phone features hard. Some are intriguing, like not charging long distance fees for calls to the US. But one they advertise more often is "Unlimited local calls. No matter what for." All the other phone companies have this. Every one of them. I'm puzzled as to the "no matter what for," too. When has any phone company concerned itself with why their customers make calls?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER