No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (22.22%)
3 votes (33.33%)

9 members have voted

July 28th, 2015 at 12:39:57 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Is the idea to go straight up, or to serpentine?

In order to add something special, perhaps you could also be the first to go down Fargo on a unicycle with no brakes. I think that could be considered more difficult than going up.
July 28th, 2015 at 1:06:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
In order to add something special, perhaps you could also be the first to go down Fargo on a unicycle with no brakes. I think that could be considered more difficult than going up.

Also not something likely to be covered by insurance.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 28th, 2015 at 3:55:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Is the idea to go straight up, or to serpentine?

If you saw that video I posted earlier, it was on a specially engineered bike that advances only 7" for a full cycle of the pedals. It's kind of an ultimate granny gear. So he was going straight up the hill, but he would have to roughly 1000 revolutions of the pedals.

I don't think it is possible for any human being to go straight up that kind of incline on a unicycle. A 24" diameter unicycle would have a circumference of over 6 feet, and one revolution would lift you two feet for a 32% grade. So you would have to lift your whole body weight plus that of the bicycle over 2', and do it fast enough so you don't fall over. Then you would have to repeat that at least 100 times. Try doing 100 bench press repetitions with a barbell, and with a barbell you don't have to balance or move fast enough to prevent falling over.

Judging by Terry Peterson's climb he did it in roughly 130 revolutions of the pedals until they yelled "you did it" then he did a final 7 revolution. But he had to start the serpentine very early in the climb. The hill straight up is about 0.11 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNUPefIVxv4

So with the serpentine he is averaging roughly an 153'/( 130*pi()*24/12 )= 18.7% grade.

Quote: Wizard
Unfortunately, there are no streets in Vegas more than about 15 degrees in steepness that I know about to practice on.

Wiz, it seems like you could simulate a Fargo Street climb by trying one of those 15 degree hills without any serpentine and try for 130-150 revolutions. You will at least get pretty close to the same amount of work.
July 29th, 2015 at 7:03:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't think it is possible for any human being to go straight up that kind of incline on a unicycle. A 24" diameter unicycle would have a circumference of over 6 feet, and one revolution would lift you two feet for a 32% grade. So you would have to lift your whole body weight plus that of the bicycle over 2', and do it fast enough so you don't fall over. Then you would have to repeat that at least 100 times. Try doing 100 bench press repetitions with a barbell, and with a barbell you don't have to balance or move fast enough to prevent falling over.

We saw the Unigeezer go straight up it. He also did it on a 29" unicycle but may have zig-zagged. However, you do make it sound daunting about the two feet of elevation gain per revolution.

Quote:
So with the serpentine he is averaging roughly an 153'/( 130*pi()*24/12 )= 18.7% grade.

I will have to work on my sharp turns. Another problem is that there were cars parked on the street when I did it on my bike. Maybe Terry knows when they clear it for street cleaning. It is common in southern California to enforce a no parking rule for part of a day once a week to clean the streets. I've had several tickets for not moving my car in time to prove it.

Quote:
Wiz, it seems like you could simulate a Fargo Street climb by trying one of those 15 degree hills without any serpentine and try for 130-150 revolutions. You will at least get pretty close to the same amount of work.

What I'm going to do next is the "Three Sisters Challenge," which is a consecutive set of three hills on the River Mountains Loop trail. The maximum steepness is 15% (source) and it is good and long. I've done that on bicycle without stopping but it pushed my limits. An issue is that is is way out in Henderson but I think I'll attempt it at night when it's not so hot. Any Vegas locals care to root me on?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 29th, 2015 at 7:24:27 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
Terry "the Unigeezer" Peterson was kind enough to answer my Email on the ideal unicycle for doing Fargo Street. So, per his advice, I have put some 165 mm crank arms on my 24" road unicycle. It feels weird to ride. Very slow but full of power. I can't wait to try it out on Fargo Street. Unfortunately, there are no streets in Vegas more than about 15 degrees in steepness that I know about to practice on.

Any of the parking garages have a steep ramp?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 29th, 2015 at 9:19:06 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: TheCesspit

The Wynn's ramp is pretty steep, but the cars going in and out would be a hazard.

Riding at night on a dark desert highway does not sound like the safest way to tackle that challenge. Cars or trucks coming up behind may have a hard time seeing you, and the road surface. I got a bad feeling about this.

Getting back to the physics... What if you do it on a 12" wheel with 130mm cranks? It would be like walking up the hill.
July 29th, 2015 at 10:13:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
How about an Ordinary rather than a unicycle? The back wheel might as well not be there.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 29th, 2015 at 10:41:21 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
So you would have to lift your whole body weight plus that of the bicycle over 2', and do it fast enough so you don't fall over.

To follow up on this, I calculate that when I did it on my bicycle I rose 25" vertical feet per pedal revolution and that mountain bike is a very old and heavy model. Also note from the video I went straight up, except where I moved over to let a car pass.

I submit that if I just added another wheel to the unicycle I'm planning to use it would be easy. However, it will be the fact that it is one wheel that will make it hard.
July 29th, 2015 at 10:44:45 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit

Hmmm. Not a bad idea. I don't think any are close to 33% but I think some might be 15% or so. As was pointed out, safety will be an issue. The Westgate (formerly the LVH and Hilton) has a nice wide ramp and the usage isn't that heavy.
July 29th, 2015 at 10:45:20 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
How about an Ordinary rather than a unicycle? The back wheel might as well not be there.

What is an "Ordinary"?
Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »