at the same speed but his shorter
legs let him keep the speed up. It
seemed like he was leaning out more
than you also.

Male dancers have the same problem.
Most are short. They have shorter more
powerful legs that allow them to do
things long legged dancers cannot.

Age certainly played in his favor. After about the age of 30 or so we lose a certain percentage of muscle mass every year, give the same level of exercise.

I tend to think you're right about his height too. Shorter people have a higher ratio of strength relative to their body size. I would say that is why gymnasts tend to be short and light. Even not relative to body size, it is interesting to note that elite marathon runners tend to average about 5'7" (source).

Whatever the physics, I don't want to use that as an excuse and still plan to return and conquer that hill.

Also, for the record, I made a copy of the no-music version on my You Tube account.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 13th, 2015 at 2:00:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Today I did what I think is the steepest bike path in Vegas, the Three Sisters. This is a steep section of the River Mountains Loop Trail. They call it the three sisters because there are three steep parts, separated by fairly level parts.

According to Strava, the steepest section has a 18.6% slope. However, I think I've seen other sources say the hills average about 15%. Still a far way off from the 33% of Fargo Street.

I did this on my 24" unicycle, which I rarely use, with 165 mm crank arms, which is as long as you can get them off the shelf.

Given that this hill is way on the other side of town from where I live, the Fargo Street challenge is going to have to stay on my back burner for a while longer. However, the experience gives me hope of doing the whole 34-mile River Mountains Loop on a unicycle, which as far as I know has never been done before. I think I would do it on my 29" unicycle with the 137/165mm crank arms I used on my 24" unicycle today. I would use them only on the 165mm setting on the steepest of hills. I should also finally get some brakes.
September 20th, 2015 at 6:39:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
But can the Wiz joggle? It's a big deal.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2015 at 6:58:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
But can the Wiz joggle? It's a big deal.

You can give me a text link to the video. If you click on the image it doesn't work.

However, yes, I can joggle. Would I be competitive -- no, but I can do it.
September 20th, 2015 at 7:01:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Never mind, here is a link.

I can do what she is doing, but not as fast. I'd get into it if I had a chance to meet her.

I should do a video of me solving the Rubik's Cube while unicycling -- how many people could do that?
September 20th, 2015 at 7:27:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Here ya go:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2015 at 8:06:52 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Here ya go:

Damn! All the good ideas are taken.

I bet that guy plays chess on the that floor with giant pieces. A man after my own heart.

p.s. Anybody who makes any remarks about a Darwin Award risks getting suspended.
November 21st, 2015 at 4:43:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I'm happy to say that I finally found a steep hill here in Vegas to practice the RAT beach hill challenge on. It is an entrance ramp to the Cottonwood Canyon park. On average, the hill is not that steep but the section at the very end is about 20 to 25 degrees.

Today I drove out there with my 24" unicycle and made all but the last several feet of it. Tomorrow I plan to go back with my 20" unicycle, which I should have a better chance on. If my training on that hill goes well I hope to return to the RAT beach hill in early December.
November 22nd, 2015 at 1:16:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I went back to the Cottonwood Canyon hill today with my 20" unicycle with long crank arms, I think 150mm. I'm happy to say that I made it up many times. Now I need to work on going down. I think I'll need a spotter to help me out.

Also, I bought a level and measuring tape and determined the steepest point is 32%, which is about the same as Fargo Street. However, the steepest section of Cottonwood Canyon hill is only about 12 feet long.
November 22nd, 2015 at 3:47:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Ithe steepest section of Cottonwood Canyon hill is only about 12 feet long.

That's a huge variable, if it was 75 feet
long you would have a different outcome.

This is insane.