In decline.

August 9th, 2015 at 10:40:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Adults believe in Jesus, because Christianity is true. .

You have to say that, it's your job. But
saying something is true, when you
have no proof, doesn't make it true.
You hope it's true, you believe it's
true, but you can't know it's true.

My point about Santa was, Christians
always point to all the other Christians
in the world and say, how can they all
be wrong. They can easily all be wrong,
and they are wrong. How can all the
dopey Muslims be wrong. Easily.

10 people or a million people believing
something isn't proof of anything except
gullibility. Which humans have always had
an abundance of.. Since we started this
conversation months ago I have searched
for many things related to this subject.
All it's done is bolster my argument that
there isn't one shred of evidence that sin
is real or Jesus died for anything except
being a misguided rabbi.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2015 at 3:49:25 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: FrGamble
Santa has never been proven, in fact around the year 10 or so for every kid it is proven false.

Wait, huh? Santa is real. Dude was a saint and a Christian, I would've thought you knew.

In fact, Christ and Claus always struck me as being very similar. Claus, or Saint Nicolas, was a real dude who really gave gifts. He was cool enough he was turned into legend, and stuff gets added, as legends are wont to do. Other beliefs were assimilated into the story. His depiction as old and bearded comes from the depiction of the Norse god Odin, who was also said to ride around the solstice. The reindeer likewise come from this, as Odin rode a flying, six legged horse, Slepnir. Even all the way to recent history he's been molded. His current depiction of a jolly, white faced fat man is largely attributed to books and drawings of the 1800's, and also Coke's depiction in the early 1900's.

Christ was a real dude, too. I don't doubt that at all. All the stuff they say about mortal Christ, I believe it. I'm sure he cared for the sick and poor, I'm sure he was a hell of a philosopher and philanthropist. But legends. Add a bit of water into wine, a touch of laying of hands, and tie it all up with a resurrection. Now you have a story!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 9th, 2015 at 4:10:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face
Add a bit of water into wine, a touch of laying of hands, and tie it all up with a resurrection. Now you have a story!

I find Paul Bunyun and his blue ox Babe
to be more believable.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2015 at 4:51:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
August 9th, 2015 at 5:03:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed

"Jesus Christ’s return is infinitely more important and incomparable to a joke printed on a condom package." Scolds Ms. Blankley. "Genuine Christians, who have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, joyfully and anxiously await his return."

Joyfully waiting for 2000 years, with no end
in sight. Waiting for a myth to be true does
take an awfully long time. Eternity, usually.
August 9th, 2015 at 5:15:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
BTW, my belief is that celibacy in the church is testament to the effect Jesus couldn't come even once.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 9th, 2015 at 5:19:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't know if what people believe really matters... take a look at elections, it seems to make no difference if you believe in the guy talking about lowering taxes.

santa clause? sugar fairy? tooth fairy? Heck in Norway santa appears with two Nubian clowns and they all travel the world in one night.

Ofcourse the pycho term for this is "secondary gain". children belief in the tooth fairy for the money they get. church members believe in christianity because of the support they get: and stop believing if they stop getting support.

People believe in multiple personality disorder because it is fun for them.

Homer was not too concerned with absolute accuracy but his works depict the local and distant geography as might be recited around a campfire or on ship board.

belief and suspension of belief are skills we maniplate.
August 9th, 2015 at 6:53:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff

People don't realize just how true this
is. That's why we can have a rabid
Christian, a rabid Muslim, and a rabid
Mormon all in the same room screaming
at each other.

And none of what they believe is true. This
is our clue that all religions, by their very
nature, are wrong. The truth of anything is
obvious to everybody. We all know to build
shelter, stay warm, and find food
to eat. It was obvious to Native Americans
to thank the animals they were killing for
giving their lives. It was not obvious to take
it any further than that. To over think it and
build churches and temples to worship animals.

The intellectuals of the past are the ones we need
to blame for the crap we have to put up today
from organized religions.
August 9th, 2015 at 7:18:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 9th, 2015 at 8:20:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Face, I think you may be conflating Santa Claus as we known him in popular culture with the awesome Saint Nick who was indeed a real dude and a great saint. He is famous for punching heretics in the face and anonymously throwing gold coins into needy families homes through the windows. He is not legend but an early centuries saint from the East. When you lost me is the Norse god Odin, the solstice, reindeer, and the jolly fat man because none of that has anything at all to do with Saint Nicholas whose feast day is December 6th.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (