August 24th, 2015 at 10:12:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If nothing else, killing an unborn baby
is disrespectful. It's not respecting the
life of the child and taking advantage
of it's vulnerability. It's barbaric and
uncivilized.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 24th, 2015 at 10:19:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
uncivilized.

Having kids while others still go un-adopted is what then? Makes all the pro-life people saints I suppose.

Hey, I won't throw stones, but if people throw stones and think they can skate.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 24th, 2015 at 11:01:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
uncivilized.

There are a lot of barbaric and uncivilized acts in this world. We [as a nation] kill people every day. We bomb people just for having different beliefs.

People starve to death every day, this search [about mid range] claims 18 thousand people starve to death every single day. http://jesus-is-savior.com/Disturbing%20Truths/18000_kids_die.htm, so in that context, forcing people to go full term with unwanted pregancy's is "cruel and unusual punishment" .

How would you compare pulling the plug on a comatose old person who will never contribute to society? There are tough choices that have to be made. Do you want to be kept alive regardless of your circumstances? Would you wish to be kept alive by machines?

I don't agree that these recently fertilized potential persons are more precious than the existing full fledged persons that struggle to maintain their existence already. Eighteen thousand people per day starving to death, that doesn't include all the other ways they die. It just doesn't make any rational sense to keep making more people, that from the very start are unwanted.

Not respecting the life of a child is because, its not a child. Abortion is an ugly deal, and I think most everyone involved on the egg and sperm end suffers for that decision, right then or later, but there is plenty of suffering to be had. Some of these pregnancies are just plain accidents. People don't "deserve" to be punished for having sex.

Reducing suffering is just being humane.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 24th, 2015 at 11:06:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
What if the acorn grew into a pot of gold. Diamonds. Sure, that makes a difference.

A human person is infinitely more valuable than a pot of gold or all the diamonds that exist. So you are right it does make a difference, a big one.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 24th, 2015 at 11:13:19 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph

How would you compare pulling the plug on a comatose old person who will never contribute to society? There are tough choices that have to be made. Do you want to be kept alive regardless of your circumstances? Would you wish to be kept alive by machines?

I don't know where you are going with this or why you bring it up, but machines keeping someone alive is extraordinary care and certainly not required. It is moral as you say to "pull the plug" if the machines are truly the only thing keeping someone alive, there is no hope for recovery or change, and it is the wishes of the sick person or his/her medical power of attorney.

Quote:
I don't agree that these recently fertilized potential persons are more precious than the existing full fledged persons that struggle to maintain their existence already.

Why? Is it just because one is a few years, months, or days older than another? This doesn't seem to jive with your statements about the old person above.

Quote:
Eighteen thousand people per day starving to death, that doesn't include all the other ways they die. It just doesn't make any rational sense to keep making more people, that from the very start are unwanted.

What are you talking about?!? The good Lord has given us more than enough food to feed everyone. The sad injustice you should be railing against is the waste of food, its unequal distribution, and the poor quality of food and drink for those who need it most.

Quote:
Some of these pregnancies are just plain accidents. People don't "deserve" to be punished for having sex.

If you think pregnancy is a punishment for having sex than I will rest my case about how messed up and confused society is concerning the nature and purpose of sex.

Quote:
Reducing suffering is just being humane.

The best thing you've said in this post.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 24th, 2015 at 11:22:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: FrGamble
A human person is infinitely more valuable than a pot of gold or all the diamonds that exist. So you are right it does make a difference, a big one.

Well, I believe in the Catholic version, the Universe exists from God, and man is gifted the Universe from God.

So man is very self-important in this version.

All I can say is, it is a belief. Like many.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 24th, 2015 at 11:28:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
So in your belief system what is the price for a human person? How much gold or diamonds would buy another human person?
August 24th, 2015 at 11:38:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: FrGamble
So in your belief system what is the price for a human person? How much gold or diamonds would buy another human person?

Beats me. Most responsible humans stopped believing in human trafficking for good reasons, not necessarily related to religion at all, but liberty vs. slavery, and misery, all bunch of other bad stuff. Of course, unfortunately it still goes on.

Now I was thinking, it would be interesting if God of the Bible had designated man as one of the animals but not above them, and allowed man to eat other animals and plants but didn't make a big deal about saying man is in a kind of ruler position.

While you probably don't believe it, if man was wiped off the Earth, it's not necessarily impossible that another animal would eventually evolve to the same brain functional position in a couple million years as man, (barring world wide destruction of some sort).

In my opinion, that is how important we are. We evolved, but some other life on Earth in effect, under the right circumstances could also evolve to our same level. Not sure that the Earth conditions would remain stable enough, just saying it could happen.
August 24th, 2015 at 11:39:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph

Not respecting the life of a child is because, its not a child. .

An ultrasound image says it is. It's beating
heart says it is. It's ability to feel pain says
it is. You mean the law says it's not a child.

You do realize reality and the law are not always
the same, right?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 25th, 2015 at 12:36:23 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Soon, governments may ban abortion to avoid population collapse. The population brakes are already being slammed. Russia has already started to experience this.
Is that [Russia] mostly due to declining birth rates or does the significant numbers account for many leaving for myriad reasons? I know other countries around the Med are suffering from an influx of migrants, Greece in particular, Germany etc.

Just checked, this is pretty cool: http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/ The world population is growing, maybe not where we would prefer it however? Strange how it works? Those that can least afford it, reproduce the most. Some survival trait I guess?

Quote:
Of course, you know I believe the entire thing is collapsing.
You probably only believe that because, it actually is collapsing. People have asked me when, when will it happen. My answer is, it is happening, it is just happening at glacial speed, but it is definitely picking up the pace. In Japan now, they sell more adult diapers then infant diapers. There went a productive civilization right there. India, I can't imagine living in Bhopal or someplace like that. But, just because we have it much better isn't reason enough for me to have given it all away either. A lot of these benefits were hard won.
Quote:
IMHO an increasing abortion rate is a symptom, not a cause of, a sickly society.
I agree, but I admit not following the rate, are abortions increasing in the US?
Quote:
When we have one side that cannot even agree that partial-birth abortion is a problem, well, we have big problems.
I never got that one either. It actually took me awhile to understand that what I thought that meant, was actually what it meant.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW