Defund Planned Parenthood

September 5th, 2015 at 11:14:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
No. Somebody else is still paying for it. Maybe the woman with the unwanted pregnancy doesn't care who is footing the bill, but I'm sure plenty of people don't want their federal tax dollars going towards abortions and those people can sleep well at night that it isn't happening because somebody else is footing the bill, not Uncle Sam.

I hereby agree to disagree. Enjoy the end of summer weekend.
The President is a fink.
September 5th, 2015 at 11:20:15 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I hereby agree to disagree. Enjoy the end of summer weekend.

Agreed and you too. Every day of the week is the same for me.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 5th, 2015 at 11:34:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

All the same for me too, I sometimes have to look to know.
The President is a fink.
September 5th, 2015 at 12:07:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
All the same for me too, I sometimes have to look to know.

Living in the bush is like that. Especially cold winters. As a friend told me, "all you have to do is work all the daylight hours and you will be ok". That rang true. It was nicer in the winters with the short days, but in the summer, the sun rarely set.

I love the 24 hour daylight. People get in the rhythm, and just "go till they drop", get up and go again. Longing for winter, and shorter days, and the first good hard freeze that kills the bugs, which signals the coming of "the long season", hunting and wood heat. What day was assigned to what name mattered not.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 5th, 2015 at 3:05:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

That was a great discussion between the Wiz and AZ. I still think the question remains that even if none of the federal money to PP goes to fund abortions, why in the world are we giving so much money to an organization with racist roots and unethical practices?!? Couldn't that money be much better given to places that provide ultrasounds, mammograms, trained OB/GYNs, and emergency room standards?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2015 at 4:32:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
I still think the question remains that even if none of the federal money to PP goes to fund abortions, why in the world are we giving so much money to an organization with racist roots and unethical practices?!?

Can you elaborate on your evidence of the so-called "racist roots and unethical practices"?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 5th, 2015 at 4:47:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Check out Margaret Sanger the founder of PP and then watch any of the many videos of PP workers selling fetal body parts, protecting pimps using young women, etc.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2015 at 5:11:57 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: FrGamble
... why in the world are we giving so much money to an organization with racist roots and unethical practices?!?

Why in the world does this seem to matter so much to you?

Remember Hitler? Pretty bad guy, huh? Pretty racist, pretty unethical. But he also had deep conservationist roots. He made a lot of laws protecting wildlife and nature, not only to create sustainability, but to ban the more horrific means of harvesting wildlife and farm animals.

He was also hugely anti-tobacco. One of the more successful European anti smoking campaigns was done by the Nazis. The link of smoking and lung cancer was discovered by the Nazis. The link between smoking and reproductive harm was discovered by the Nazis.

These are all great things. Despite that they were founded by a tyrant, despite that some (like parts of the conservation) was used specifically because it harmed the Jews, that in no way affects the quality of the idea. You can certainly argue PP's ethics based on their own merits. But using the founder... that makes no sense to me. Even Hitler got some things right (besides killing Hitler =p)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 5th, 2015 at 6:42:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think two of my problems with your argument Face are:

1) It seems to allude, unintentionally I am sure, that Hitler or the Nazi's were necessary for these type of decisions that protect nature and our lungs to be made. If Hitler hadn't have done it don't you think Joe Schmoe could have come around and made the same right decisions without the baggage of let's say the Holocaust?

2) If you had choices between supporting institutions or groups with tax payer money wouldn't it make sense to chose one who does not have a racist founder and unethical behavior? I grant you that a bad founder is not the be all and end all of an organization, but it does mean something doesn't it? Especially when an organization has done nothing to distance itself from said evil person and in the case of PP even seems to embrace her?!? There are plenty of hospitals and community health organizations that were founded by good people and whose group have not been caught on tape being unethical, maybe we should send the money to them?
September 5th, 2015 at 6:53:35 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Does that make it unethical to buy Volkswagon Beetles since Hitler helped develop the specification for the car and asked that they be produced?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan