The Revomaze

Page 2 of 4<1234>
September 1st, 2015 at 2:02:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
There is no Spanish equivalent for "puzzle," actually. In English the term applies to that thing you posted, a jigsaw puzzle, a crossword, Sudoku, a Rubik's cube, etc.

According to SpanishDict.com, the general word "puzzle" is a colloquial translation of rompecabeza.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 1st, 2015 at 3:56:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
According to SpanishDict.com, the general word "puzzle" is a colloquial translation of rompecabeza.

I often google images. If 99% of the images that come up are jigsaw puzzle, then more than likely that is the first definition that people think about.

But there are examples of the "colloquial translation" as well.

The idea of a puzzle as a device (instead of a verb) is only 2 centuries old in English. Although the word is rooted in Old French, and hence Latin, it is another example of a word that took a slightly different meaning history in English.

-------
It is like when Nareed said there is no word that means "to cheat" in Spanish. It seems strange since it is a Latin based verb, so you would think there is an equivalent in Spanish. But the etymology dictionary shows that the meaning of the world took a unique changes in English because of the Norman occupation.

Quote: etymonline entry for cheat (v.)
mid-15c., "to escheat," a shortening of Old French escheat, legal term for revision of property to the state when the owner dies without heirs, literally "that which falls to one," past participle of escheoir "happen, befall, occur, take place; fall due; lapse (legally)," from Late Latin *excadere "fall away, fall out," from Latin ex- "out" (see ex-) + cadere "to fall" (see case (n.1)). Also compare escheat. The royal officers evidently had a low reputation. Meaning evolved through "confiscate" (mid-15c.) to "deprive unfairly" (1580s). To cheat on (someone) "be sexually unfaithful" first recorded 1934. Related: Cheated; cheating.

But if you look up "cheat" in the Spanish-English dictionary it offers up these synonyms.
engañar
estafar
timar
trampear
trapacear
September 1st, 2015 at 4:17:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Getting back to the Revomaze, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I finally aligned the two dots, which is supposed to release the center shaft and give me my certificate of completion.

The bad news is that the shaft isn't releasing. I've tried tapping and wiggling it for 20 minutes and nothing helps. This puzzle forum has people posting the same apparent problem. The consensus seems to be to leave it alone for a little while and try again. However, after working on this puzzle for a week I'm in no mood for patience. This is very anti-climatic.
September 1st, 2015 at 4:33:29 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Getting back to the Revomaze, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I finally aligned the two dots, which is supposed to release the center shaft and give me my certificate of completion.

The bad news is that the shaft isn't releasing. I've tried tapping and wiggling it for 20 minutes and nothing helps. This puzzle forum has people posting the same apparent problem. The consensus seems to be to leave it alone for a little while and try again. However, after working on this puzzle for a week I'm in no mood for patience. This is very anti-climatic.

Perhaps this is actually the previously mentioned, "I think my puzzle is broken" step, and not the one you passed earlier. The quality of materials and workmanship seems very high, so I would be surprised if it is indeed a defect.
September 1st, 2015 at 4:42:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Perhaps this is actually the previously mentioned, "I think my puzzle is broken" step, and not the one you passed earlier. The quality of materials and workmanship seems very high, so I would be surprised if it is indeed a defect.

No. Watch the video and it clearly says the object is to align the dots in the sleeve and axle, which I did.
September 1st, 2015 at 5:06:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
But if you look up "cheat" in the Spanish-English dictionary it offers up these synonyms.
engañar
estafar
timar
trampear
trapacear

In order:

To fool, to deceive.
To embezzle, to rob through deceptive means
To con
Not a word
Never seen it before.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 1st, 2015 at 6:05:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Okay, I can go back to living my life. As they say, when in doubt, read the directions. So I read the little instruction card that came with the puzzle and it said to tap the puzzle with the logo face down. When I did that it popped right out.

The question at hand is should I get the next one in the series -- the bronze.

September 1st, 2015 at 7:25:40 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Yes, but I am a sucker for this stuff... I don't quite get why anyone would decide the answer is to break stuff in response. Put it down, walk away and decide it's not for you!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 1st, 2015 at 7:42:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit
I don't quite get why anyone would decide the answer is to break stuff in response.

Breaking it is my only option. If I don't
smash it, it wins.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 1st, 2015 at 10:38:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Okay, I can go back to living my life. As they say, when in doubt, read the directions. So I read the little instruction card that came with the puzzle and it said to tap the puzzle with the logo face down. When I did that it popped right out.

The question at hand is should I get the next one in the series -- the bronze.

Congratulations Wizard! What was your time on task?
Unless collecting the whole series gets you something, I would recommend skipping the middle one and going straight to the most difficult one, because I believe the difference would be marginal. The mechanics appear to be the same. It is the size of the puzzle that appears to be different.
This skill seems similar to opening a padlock or safe. How important are sensitive fingers to solving the puzzle?
Page 2 of 4<1234>