Very sad story

Page 4 of 5<12345>
September 8th, 2015 at 8:59:59 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
After Wycliffe, not before.

In the 7th century the Venerable Bede translated the Scriptures. Also the Psalms were translated by a man named Aldhelm. In the 10th century the Gospels were translated word for word from the Latin. In 990 AD the Wessex Gospels were translated into English. In the 11th century Abbot Aelfric translated the Old Testament. Then just a few years after the Tyndale Bible the Church gave the English speaking world the Douay-Rheims Bible in 1582.

Quote:
He set
about translating the NT into English for
the benefit of his church,

I really suggest you read a reputable history of John Wycliffe's life. He did not set about doing anything for the benefit of his Church. He was as anti-clerical as they come.

Quote:
The truth, which you will never admit, is the
Church was dead set against the whole Bible
falling into the hands of the people,

This is not the truth and the evidence bears it out. Not only were Bibles already translated into English, but there was also the preaching of the stories of Scriptures for hundreds and hundreds of years. There was architecture, stained glass windows, art, and sculpture all depicting in a way for the illiterate to understand the Bible. I would venture to say that the people in the era we are talking about knew their Bible much better than the average person today and if you don't mind me saying it, a lot better than you seem to.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 8th, 2015 at 10:21:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You yourself said Wycliffe's and Tyndale's translations
were full of mistakes and changed to fit their ideas.
We have these original translations, they are extremely
accurate. 90% of the Tyndale was used for the KJV, and
they still burned him at the stake for the heresy of
doing the translation.

The Church loves to rewrite history, but can't get away
with it anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2015 at 10:36:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
Remember that it is not just the translation but the other commentary and introductions that go with it. It was Tyndale's translation that was helpful for the King James version. Wycliffe's was not a good translation. A word for word literal translation with heretical comments and poor grammar and word order is not the best. Today by the way Protestants and Catholics both work together on the various translations of the Bible.

Who is rewriting history? You were wrong about the previous English version of the Bible, wrong about the Church trying to hide the Bible from people, and wrong about why Wycliffe and Tyndall were found guilty of heresy.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 8th, 2015 at 11:53:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
wrong about why Wycliffe and Tyndall were found guilty of heresy.

You constantly twist what you've said into
something else, like a worm on a hook.
You're one of the slipperiest and most
disingenuous people I've ever had
conversations with on the net. I trust
what you say so little, if you said it was
raining, I'd look out the window to see
if it was true. And you're a priest.

Figures, given the history of the wonderful
people you work for.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 9th, 2015 at 12:51:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

You're one of the slipperiest and most
disingenuous people I've ever had
conversations with on the net.

I have no idea why you would say this? Is it because you are frustrated that many of your points are proven incorrect? You have proved many of my points incorrect too and I usually will acknowledge when I am wrong, which is something you have never, ever done. I'm quite offended actually and would ask you for some reason why you would say such hurtful things.
September 9th, 2015 at 8:28:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FrGamble
Then just a few years after the Tyndale Bible the Church gave the English speaking world the Douay-Rheims Bible in 1582..

The Authorized Version
Would you say this article fairly represents the Catholic opinion on King James Version of the bible?

It is generally admitted that the Authorized Version was in almost every respect a great improvement on any of its predecessors. So much was this the case that when Bishop Challoner made his revision of the Douay Bible (1749-52), which is now commonly in use among English-speaking Catholics, he did not scruple to borrow largely from it. - From article
October 26th, 2018 at 2:02:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin

Sinead O'Connor wrote and open letter to Miley Cyrus,

I am extremely concerned for you that those around you have led you to believe, or encouraged you in your own belief, that it is in any way 'cool' to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos. It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether its the music business or yourself doing the pimping. The music business doesn't give a shit about you, or any of us. They will prostitute you for all you are worth, and cleverly make you think its what YOU wanted … and when you end up in rehab as a result of being prostituted, 'they' will be sunning themselves on their yachts in Antigua, which they bought by selling your body and you will find yourself very alone.

Sinead O'Connor now a muslim.
October 26th, 2018 at 6:42:08 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
You would think with her issues that she would go non-denominational or atheist.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 26th, 2018 at 6:49:52 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
This is also noteworthy

Quote:
As the Argentine pontiff has repeatedly said, there is no doctrinal prohibition on married men becoming priests, and therefore the discipline can be changed.

Saint Peter, the church's first pope, had a mother-in-law, according to the bible.

Celibacy was imposed in the 11th century, possibly partly to prevent descendants of priests from inheriting church property.

But some within the church believe it is time to join many eastern rite Catholic Churches in permitting married men to take the cloth.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2018/oct/26/vatican-stalls-on-married-catholic-priests-1890307.amp

They haven't gone anywhere with it, but it is noteworthy that it was even brought up.

In a different article the pope said the celibacy rule is also one that is permissible to change.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 26th, 2018 at 7:17:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Dalex64
You would think with her issues that she would go non-denominational or atheist.
I think she dreams of a yacht in Antiqua
Page 4 of 5<12345>