terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Sinead O'Connor now a muslim.

I'm fine with it
I just don't understand why go public with it
Religion should be private and personal
I heard a story that Ike as President picked a church to attend
The church made it public and Ike told that church that he changed his mind because they did not respect his privacy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 26th, 2018 at 9:14:00 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: terapined

Religion should be private and personal
Catholics on anti-abortion crusades don't seem to think so. All over the Moslem world it seems religion is extremely public: people carry round tablets and beat their foreheads against them during prayers so they bear scars indicating how pious they are. Laws often forbid business in hours of prayer or forbid food sales during Ramadan days. Loudspeakers call the faithful to prayer.

I think she just never got over her career killing stunt and still wants publicity.
October 26th, 2018 at 10:20:50 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Catholics on anti-abortion crusades don't seem to think so. All over the Moslem world it seems religion is extremely public: people carry round tablets and beat their foreheads against them during prayers so they bear scars indicating how pious they are. Laws often forbid business in hours of prayer or forbid food sales during Ramadan days. Loudspeakers call the faithful to prayer.

There are 2 types of religious people
The above you describe is the overall problem with religion. I'm ok, you're not ok thinking
I prefer the religious types that generally is the majority, I'm ok, you're ok thinking
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 27th, 2018 at 4:19:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: terapined
, I'm ok, you're ok thinking

I remember that book.

2 cents to anyone who can remember the basic premise.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 27th, 2018 at 5:07:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I remember that book.

Most people feel some version of
I'm Ok/You're not OK, or the
opposite. Supposedly the best
state of mind is the title of the book.
My feeling is, I'm OK/I don't care
what you are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 27th, 2018 at 5:18:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My philosophy is "I'm not OK, especially around women. I don't know about you yet, but will give you the benefit of the doubt for now."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 27th, 2018 at 7:21:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
My philosophy is "I'm not OK, especially around women."

No men are OK around women. It's
not possible, you never know what's
going on in their heads. With men
you know where you're at. With women
you never know, even when you're
married to them.

David Spade has had a lot of beautiful
girlfriends. He says the secret is to
never get emotionally involved with
them, keep them at arms length. Don't
just act like you don't care what they
thunk, really not care. This apparently
drives women nuts and makes you
more appealing to them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 28th, 2018 at 7:52:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
I remember that book.

I never read it.

An enormously popular (7-million copies sold) and insightful classic of popular psychology ...
based on Eric Berne’s theory of Transactional Analysis that has helped millions of people who never before felt OK about themselves find the freedom to change, to liberate their ADULT effectiveness, and to achieve joyful intimacy with the people in their lives.

Transactional analysis delineates three ego-states (parent, adult and child) as the basis for the content and quality of interpersonal communication. “Happy childhood” notwithstanding, says Harris, most of us are living out the not ok feelings of a defenseless child wholly dependent on ok others (parents) for stroking and caring. At some stage early in our lives we adopt a “position” about ourselves which very significantly determines how we feel about ourselves, particularly in relation to other people. And for a huge portion of the population, that position is that I’m Not OK-You’re OK. This negative Life Position, shared by successful and unsuccessful people alike, contaminates our rational adult potential, leaving us vulnerable to the inappropriate, emotional reactions of our child and the uncritically learned behavior programmed into our parent. By exploring the four basic “life positions,” we can radically change our lives.
October 30th, 2018 at 8:41:46 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
My philosophy is "I'm not OK, especially around women. I don't know about you yet, but will give you the benefit of the doubt for now."

Perhaps humans were meant to live apart such as herds that only mingle during rutting season
Or perhaps like elephants were females and offspring travel together and bulls go along for protection but the females do not allow bulls to get too close.

some women lead lives of 'I don't ask him how he makes his money; he doesn't ask me how I spend it'.
some women are only married at night when they are in
bed.

some couples are partners 24 hours a day; in life, in business, in everything.

I have no idea what Sinead O'Connor's views on this matter are.
Page 5 of 5« First<2345