Descriptions of Heaven and Hell

November 28th, 2012 at 10:28:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Larry Niven and a collaborator (I forget his name) wrote two novels about Hell. In a sense these are updates to Dante's Inferno, albeit shallower than Dante's visions. Since then I've thought about writing a novel set in the afterlife. I'd show Hell and Heaven, and then contrast them with two other "places." I should mention in this novel the bad guys are God, Satan, angels and demons.

Anyway, I know a bit of Dante's vision of Hell, both through Niven's interpretation and some reading in high school (I've not read the full Divine Comedy). I'm less clear about Heaven. any idea where I could find something more? I'm not looking for Dante in particular, but any visions, preferably popular, of both Heaven and Hell.

For my fans, this is a very long term project. I barely have a story idea in mind, and would need to develop it over months (I hope! I'm still trying to finish a triptic I began over ten years ago...) And then I'd have to actually put pixels on screen...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 30th, 2012 at 1:51:47 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Just like the rest of the currently living, we have no concept of Heaven or Hell, and we have no proof of their existance.
Its a matter of faith/belief or the lack thereof. In short, we create our own version, and pimp to the peeps. Some are better than others.

Besides, its not really weather theres a Heaven or Hell, its all about me and my version. So much for the Agnostics.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
December 1st, 2012 at 3:22:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Let's not forget the place in between, which is often called Purgatory or Limbo. I think the whole show Lost was supposed to take place in said place, but that is a subject of fierce debate.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 1st, 2012 at 5:11:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Let's not forget the place in between, which is often called Purgatory or Limbo. I think the whole show Lost was supposed to take place in said place, but that is a subject of fierce debate.

"Limbo" has been officially closed about 6-7 years ago, it was for people who died before baptism, mainly infants IIRC. Born with the sins of Adam and Eve they were not allowed into Heaven, but did not deserve Hell. Purgatory was a sort of "halfway house" where you waited for admitance to Heavan or the end of the world, when there was a general amnesty so to speak.

I think Hell would be far worse as a bitter cold place than burning up.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2012 at 5:17:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I think the whole show Lost [..]

Never heard of it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 1st, 2012 at 8:10:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: AZDuffman

"Limbo" has been officially closed about 6-7 years ago, it was for people who died before baptism, mainly infants IIRC. Born with the sins of Adam and Eve they were not allowed into Heaven, but did not deserve Hell. Purgatory was a sort of "halfway house" where you waited for admitance to Heavan or the end of the world, when there was a general amnesty so to speak.

I think Hell would be far worse as a bitter cold place than burning up.

I was found it very intersting and profound that the deepest and darkest level of Hell according to Dante had the Devil himself frozen solid in a great block of ice.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 5th, 2012 at 10:16:01 AM permalink
Croupier
Threads: 0
On the subject of Heaven, Hell, Angels, Demons et al, I have just watched the first 7 seasons of the TV Show Supernatural, which has a nice take on things. Best compliment I can give it is that its almost Whedonesque.