Airport traffic

Page 4 of 13<1234567>Last »
September 23rd, 2015 at 7:18:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
Thank you, but I did see that. I was hoping to find one that listed the aircraft type without me going to flightware and looking up each one individually.

That's hard to find. The vast majority of the flying public doesn't really care what type they fly.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 23rd, 2015 at 8:29:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
That's hard to find. The vast majority of the flying public doesn't really care what type they fly.

Yup, I book travel all day and never get questions on equipment.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 23rd, 2015 at 8:55:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
Yup, I book travel all day and never get questions on equipment.

IMO people should pay more attention to such details.

Did you hear recently AA sent the wrong plane to Hawaii? Nothing bad happened, but the A-321 used was not certified for ETOPS (Extended Two-Engine Operations or some such). For a 5+ hour flight almost entirely over water, this matters. There are no airports to divert to en-route.

That aside, economy on a narrow body for a longish flight is not the same as economy on a wide body. Even if the seats are the same, the room to move about during flight isn't. I'd care on that account alone, even if I were not interested in aviation.
September 23rd, 2015 at 9:31:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
Thank you, but I did see that. I was hoping to find one that listed the aircraft type without me going to flightware and looking up each one individually.

Because flight radar 24 is more planespotter oriented it lists the type of equipment, but it only looks at a few hours at a time. You can scroll back and forward in time, but it is difficult to know how many days of the week a piece of equipment is used.

http://www.flightradar24.com/airport/sxm/arrivals

But there is only two flights to Europe right now, with a third being added on 1 November. You can pretty much decide those are the only widebody flights. The flight to Amsterdam is the only 747 flight.
September 23rd, 2015 at 10:04:37 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin
Because flight radar 24 is more planespotter oriented it lists the type of equipment, but it only looks at a few hours at a time. You can scroll back and forward in time, but it is difficult to know how many days of the week a piece of equipment is used.

http://www.flightradar24.com/airport/sxm/arrivals

But there is only two flights to Europe right now, with a third being added on 1 November. You can pretty much decide those are the only widebody flights. The flight to Amsterdam is the only 747 flight.

Thank you.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 24th, 2015 at 7:59:38 AM permalink
Nareed
You know what would be great? Cameras placed on the ends of runways, at any airport, live-streaming operations.

US aircraft carriers do something like this. But then pilots are graded on each landing (controlled crash and stop, though, best describes a carrier landing).

I wish I could say this has some utility, and it does, but mostly it would be for entertainment. The utility would come in at very rare intervals when something goes wrong on takeoff or landing, and then only if something obvious can be seen. I very vaguely recall an accident years ago, where there was some question about the plane's flap configuration.

Aviation enthusiasts would love it.
September 24th, 2015 at 8:12:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Aviation enthusiasts would love it.

So would lawyers! I wouldn't be surprised if people sue American Airlines about flying that plane to Hawaii. AA has no defense, and it should be good for a quick cash settlement.
September 24th, 2015 at 8:32:29 AM permalink
Nareed
So would lawyers! I wouldn't be surprised if people sue American Airlines about flying that plane to Hawaii. AA has no defense, and it should be good for a quick cash settlement.

They have a perfect defense: what harm was caused and to whom?

They have no defense against a fine, and they should be fined. But no passengers were hurt in any way. Any lawsuit would be frivolous and should be dismissed. On the other hand, AA probably won't want to mount a defense.
September 24th, 2015 at 8:46:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Any lawsuit would be frivolous and should be dismissed. On the other hand, AA probably won't want to mount a defense.

Nobody is going to win a big settlement, but AA may find it easier to pay off a few thousand per person rather than go to court.

But I think the runway mounted cameras would also allow for some lawsuits for neck injuries after a rough landing. Especially if the camera shows some error in deploying the equipment.
September 24th, 2015 at 8:54:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Nobody is going to win a big settlement, but AA may find it easier to pay off a few thousand per person rather than go to court.

How much would it cost to obtain a summary judgment? A tort claim should not be allowed to go to trial if there was no harm involved.

Quote:
But I think the runway mounted cameras would also allow for some lawsuits for neck injuries after a rough landing. Especially if the camera shows some error in deploying the equipment.

Not as easily as it seems. The camera may record a rough landing, sure, but not why it was rough.
Page 4 of 13<1234567>Last »