Airport traffic

September 29th, 2015 at 6:41:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Nareed
Speaking of traffic, I ran across a neat app called Flight Radar 24.

I paid for the app. It was only 26 pesos, which is well under $2 US. It will charge more if you want airport departure/arrivals board (per airport) or if you want to set an alert for a given flight (per alert), but I hardly need that.

What's neat is a simulated view from the cockpit. It's actually a satellite map view using the heading and altitude of the flight you're following, moving at the airspeed of the flight. On approach and landing, you get to see labeled areas and some landmarks.

Browsing the map view for flights is amazing. Sometimes it seems there's an Alpha Strike heading for Europe or Asia, with so many plane icons heading in roughly the same direction.

You can also search flights, routes, airlines, airports, etc. I love it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 1st, 2015 at 12:03:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Since the app uses transponder and ATC data, it picks up lots of interesting things. I've seen a number of private planes (jets and props), and one nation's air force transport plane. The downside is often the additional data provided by the app for these flights is incomplete. There's rarely a route, for instance, and many times even the type of plane is missing.

I assume also tons of military planes are flitting about all over the place, but the app can't access their data.
October 8th, 2015 at 7:33:39 AM permalink
Nareed
As the B-757 exits the skies of much of the world, its being replaced by the A-321 (the stretched version of the A320), and possibly by the larger versions of the B737.

What this means is that cookie-cutter plane design has gotten more cookier-cutter than before.

The A-340 is on the ay out, too, and the 747's future seems troubled or limited. I'd call the A-380 limited as well. Bottom line is 4-engine planes will not proliferate much.

Designs is a series of tradeoffs. Up to a point, a bigger engine is more efficient, hence the plethora of new and improved twin engine designs (A320, 330, 350, B737, 777, 787, in all their variants, and pretty much every regional jet in existence as well).

I don't think we'll ever see a single-engine commercial airliner. Engine failures are rare and getting even less common all the time. But they will always be possible. You lose the one engine, it's lights out unless you can glide to a landing strip. Lose it on takeoff and you're dead (you may be dead even with two when you lose one).

No one has come up, or even wished to, with a 3-engine design since the MD-11 successor to the DC-10 was developed in the 80s.
October 8th, 2015 at 9:14:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
There is no significant fleet of 757s outside of USA operators. Only 1000 were produced, and less than 800 are still operating. So the A321 is not so much replacing the B757 as it is filling the new demand.
A321ceo (1614 ordered, 1156 delivered, 16 non operational)
A321neo (976 ordered)

The A-340 is already gone as there has been no new deliveries for three years.

The 747's future and the A-380 or the four engine design will probably not go away. There seems to be little interest in The Americas, China, Japan or Africa. However, Europe and other parts of Asia, and the Middle East seem to have a desire for large airplanes. Boeing is still hoping to sell a hundred B747-8s to Emirates if the A380 program collapses.

Air passengers exceed 3 billion per year. Who knows what it could be in 25 years? I don't think it is realistic to think that 615 seats will be continue to be the largest air vehicle in the world.

Latest Airbus patent
October 8th, 2015 at 11:01:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The 747's future and the A-380 or the four engine design will probably not go away.

Back in the 60s a twin engine transpacific plane capable of travelling over 10 hours non-stop would have seemed a bad pipe dream.

Quote:
Air passengers exceed 3 billion per year. Who knows what it could be in 25 years? I don't think it is realistic to think that 615 seats will be continue to be the largest air vehicle in the world.

I think we'll see satellite airports come back, as well as complementary airports, before frequencies get so crowded airlines voluntarily begin flying wide bodies on routes dominated by mid-size planes today.

When this proves insufficient, IMO, the hot new design from AirBoeing will be a double-decker version of the 787, complete with twin humongous engines (The AB3797 perhaps?)
October 8th, 2015 at 1:44:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Black box info can be used for investigations into accidents, incidents and near misses. From time to time the FAA offers amnesty in return for promptly fessing up. Full info would overwhelm frequencies. Basic course distance speed heading altitude would form the basis of an enhanced TCAS in a Free Flight situation of go where you want to go rather than along designated flyways.

Smaller planes, electric ones, from small nearby airports will alleviate traffic problems particularly when planes do not have to prefile flight plans or gate holds.
October 8th, 2015 at 3:52:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Smaller planes, electric ones, from small nearby airports will alleviate traffic problems particularly when planes do not have to prefile flight plans or gate holds.

The Small Aircraft Transportation System got a big boost after 9-11. So you are not the only one who believes it is realistic.

The four mega airports in the USA board nearly 20% of passengers. Just 15 airports in 12 states board 50% of passengers. I realize that there are thousands of airports, but some states like West Virgina barely have an airport.

Personally, I am very skeptical that it will change to the point that anywhere close to 30 airports board 50% of passengers.

ATL Atlanta
LAX Los Angeles
ORD Chicago
DFW Fort Worth
JFK New York
DEN Denver
SFO San Francisco
CLT Charlotte
LAS Las Vegas
PHX Phoenix
IAH Houston
MIA Miami
SEA Seattle
EWR Newark
MCO Orlando
October 11th, 2015 at 11:41:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just saw this spam email in my inbox
Pretty weird
Here is the body of the email

Dear Sir,
I have for sale,
4 Airbus 380 YOM 2015 $304 million ea
10 Boeing B737-800 YOM 2015 $54 million ea
10 Airbus A320-214 YOM 2015 $45.88 ea
Please let me know if I can help you
partenair trading
ghazal mohamed
skype ghazal6691
Phone +212 662 086044
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 11th, 2015 at 12:06:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
partenair trading
ghazal mohamed

Ghazal Mohamed runs a scam

Malaysia Airlines signed a contract with Airbus to purchase 6 Airbus A380s in 2003. They were delivered between 29. May 2012 and 13. Mar 2013. In 2014, Malaysia Airlines lost two Boeing 777 aircraft within 131 days. Flight 370 disappeared in an unknown location on 8 March with 239 persons aboard, leaving little evidence behind; while little debris from the plane has been found, all off the coast of Réunion. Flight 17 crashed near Donetsk in eastern Ukraine on 17 July with 298 people aboard, after it was believed to have been hit with a surface-to-air missile.

On May 1,2015 a new CEO Christoph Mueller,former CEO of Aer Lingus, joined Malaysia Airline System (MAS), parent of Malaysia Airlines. The Sabah and Sarawak state governments put forward a plan to purchase MAS’s regional arm, MASwings, and the carrier BEGAN looking to shed its long-haul fleet, including six Airbus A380 aircraft.

As expected no carrier made a credible offer, and Mueller announced that Malaysia Airlines would continue to use four A380 aircraft on its London route (MH 1-4), with the remaining two aircraft being leased out or sold. The Paris route (MH 20-21), previously served by the A380, will be served by the Boeing 777 as a result.

However even the two A380 aircraft have not been sold. The Sydney-Kuala Lumpur (4120 miles) flights were trimmed to two per day, but they are now being serviced by the A380.
October 11th, 2015 at 12:20:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Flight 17 crashed near Donetsk in eastern Ukraine on 17 July with 298 people aboard, after it was believed to have been hit with a surface-to-air missile.

"Believed to have been"????

"Believed"?????