Catholic Church Collapsing

Page 3 of 20<123456>Last »
September 10th, 2015 at 7:50:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
If you can figure out why Jesus was so obviously against the culture of His time's treatment of women yet He only chose men to be His priests you have solved the question the Church has wrestled with for some 2,000 years.

Yes, the Church has agonized over the
fact that it wants women as priests, but
just can't do it. For 2000 years it's tried
and tried to elevate women to the same
rank as men in the priesthood, but alas,
god just won't let them. Such a sad story.

lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 10th, 2015 at 7:56:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
If you look at the history of women religious orders you will find not only the education of women long before anyone thought that was kosher as well as allowing women to have the authority of priests as mother superiors as they built monasteries, convents, churches, and thriving communities. Women have always from just reading the Book of Genesis had the same rank as men, just not the call to be priests. You have to be careful in conflating the Church's teaching about the male only priesthood and the issue of women's equality. Not everyone can be a father, but that doesn't make anyone less than a father.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 11th, 2015 at 12:16:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
had the same rank as men, just not the call to be priests. .

This is what women have been hearing
for eons. You're just as important as men,
except in certain areas. You undderstand,
dear, that's a good girl..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 11th, 2015 at 7:20:58 AM permalink
FrGamble
As noted above women have not just been hearing it but experiencing it as well.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 11th, 2015 at 12:21:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
As noted above women have not just been hearing it but experiencing it as well.

And continue to experience it in the Catholic
church. When Francis became pope,
he said he wants to see a:

“greater role” for women in Catholicism, including participation in the “important decisions . . . where the authority of the Church is exercised.”

Yet:

"During his first two years in office, there were relatively few steps forward in either regard. No groundbreaking new roles for women were created and no new theological study was commissioned."

Nor will there be. The hierarchy of the Church
is the original all boys club, and historically
you have to drag men like this kicking and
screaming into letting women have any kind
of role side by side with them. And with the
pope admitting that the Church has a very real
'Gay problem', you can compound the issue
of women ever having any power by 10.
September 11th, 2015 at 4:51:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just watched this incredible video.
What brought me to it was that moving Interview between a very religious Stephen Colbert and Joe Biden
Was reading about Colbert and his faith and found a link to this video.
Its Stephen Colbert and White Stripes guitarist Jack White, 2 Catholics that try to top each other with arcane Catholic facts.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ihqt34/the-colbert-report-exclusive---2011--a-rock-odyssey-featuring-jack-white---catholic-throwdown---uncensored

How many of these questions would you get right Frgamble?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 11th, 2015 at 5:10:40 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
Just watched this incredible video.

That was good! Colbert got White on the question "The immaculate conception refers to the conception of whom?" FrG has said before this is one of his favorite Catholic trivia questions. I have since asked it to lots of Catholics, including my uncle's wife, who is very devout, and they all got it wrong.

However, White got Colbert back with a question at the 2:00 point that I couldn't make out. I'd be interested to know what the question was and what made it a good trick question.

If I may toot my own horn, I knew the one about the smoke and Jesus' first miracle. I've shamed AxelWolf pretty good in a general bible knowledge throw-down.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 11th, 2015 at 6:19:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Most of the time I had no idea what the
answer was. I only know the important
stuff about Catholics, like who was
Torquemada.. If you have to look it up,
that's really lame. I'll give you a hint: he
was no fun at parties.
September 12th, 2015 at 4:48:43 AM permalink
FrGamble
That is a neat video. They never answered who Mary's parents were, do you guys know? I knew that, but didn't know the patron saint of clowns.

Evenbob, what a sad and telling post of how prejudiced you are towards Catholics.
September 12th, 2015 at 6:07:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
They never answered who Mary's parents were, do you guys know?

They talked about it in the video. I think one of them said Elizabeth but then corrected himself to say she was Mary's cousin. Who Mary's parents are, I have no idea. I didn't think the bible even stated their names, but could easily be wrong on that. Maybe the information is taken from one of the books not in the Protestant bible.

Quote:
I knew that, but didn't know the patron saint of clowns.

May I suggest 20 push-ups as your penance?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 3 of 20<123456>Last »