Catholic Church Collapsing

September 15th, 2015 at 8:06:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
There is no line to tow to get funded. There is no politics involved.

That's not quite true.

In some fields, going against the prevailing wisdom can result in loss or refusal for funding. Physics is actually quite accepting of oddball, contrarian ideas, if there is some evidence or some reason to back them up.

Medicine is not.

Two well known cases are prions (infectious proteins) and Heliobacter pillori as a cause of peptic ulcers.

The second case is quite renowned. The doctor involved, I forget his name, had to infect himself with the bacteria, give himself ulcers, and then cure himself with antibiotics, in order to prove his case.

In the meantime who knows how many patients suffered while doctors gave them beta blockers and diet to "manage" their ulcers?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 15th, 2015 at 8:09:32 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
That's not quite true.

In some fields, going against the prevailing wisdom can result in loss or refusal for funding. Physics is actually quite accepting of oddball, contrarian ideas, if there is some evidence or some reason to back them up.

Medicine is not.

Two well known cases are prions (infectious proteins) and Heliobacter pillori as a cause of peptic ulcers.

The second case is quite renowned. The doctor involved, I forget his name, had to infect himself with the bacteria, give himself ulcers, and then cure himself with antibiotics, in order to prove his case.

In the meantime who knows how many patients suffered while doctors gave them beta blockers and diet to "manage" their ulcers?

There is no politics involving a state underground geological survey. Thats what my father did for a living
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 15th, 2015 at 8:28:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There is no politics involving a state underground geological survey.

Not yet.

Some people believe oil is generated by natural geological processes, not involving any kind of organic remains. This is a minority view, not taken seriously by most geologists.

But let oil reach $200 per barrel, and they'll get funding to find "natural inorganic oil." See if they don't.

Quote:
Thats what my father did for a living

That's really cool.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 15th, 2015 at 9:08:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Not yet.

Some people believe oil is generated by natural geological processes, not involving any kind of organic remains. This is a minority view, not taken seriously by most geologists.

But let oil reach $200 per barrel, and they'll get funding to find "natural inorganic oil." See if they don't.

That's really cool.

He surveyed underground mid-Atlantic states. No gas or oil involved.
just the straight science of what is underground without drilling.
Geological survey amounts to walking the land looking for streams cutting through the land getting a peak of what is underneath using science and education to create an underground survey map of the entire county and eventually the state.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 15th, 2015 at 10:19:34 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I don't understand where you are coming from.
Don't get Funded and its like a religion?????????????

My father was a scientist
A geologist.
He worked for the state geological survey
Their job as scientists is the map the whole underground of the state.
Any construction proposed, you get the maps created by the scientists to check what is deep underground.
No politics, just honest state geological surveys by scientists.
There is no line to tow to get funded. There is no politics involved. Its a state scientific service provided to the tax payers
You do honest scientific research and submit the maps to the State so they can determine is a construction project is ok

There was no religion in my house growing up.
My father believed in science.
Applied science. Your dad was asking "what is underneath the ground in this area?" He wasn't asking "how did the things under the ground come to be there?" Big difference.
September 15th, 2015 at 10:32:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: pew
Not sure I totally understand your post.
well, I sure don't.

An entertaining description. However, one can SEE glaciers melting and ice floes breaking off, THESE ARE awe inspiring AND not without some probative value on the issue. A BETTER EXAMPLE OF KNEE JERK RELIGION BASED ACTION IS THE "if the politician is against global warming, get him out of office FOR ANY TRUMPED UP REASON, BE IT: PRO TREE HUGGER OR ANTI BUSINESS.

GLOBAL WARNING IS ALMOST AS BIG A BUSINESS AS GLOBAL COOLING.

WINDMILLS??? THEY GENERATE ELECTRICITY AND TAX BREAKS THEY DON'T PUMP OUT GROUND WATER.
September 15th, 2015 at 10:39:16 AM permalink
pew
Quote: Fleastiff
well, I sure don't.

An entertaining description. However, one can SEE glaciers melting and ice floes breaking off, THESE ARE awe inspiring AND not without some probative value on the issue. A BETTER EXAMPLE OF KNEE JERK RELIGION BASED ACTION IS THE "if the politician is against global warming, get him out of office FOR ANY TRUMPED UP REASON, BE IT: PRO TREE HUGGER OR ANTI BUSINESS.

GLOBAL WARNING IS ALMOST AS BIG A BUSINESS AS GLOBAL COOLING.

WINDMILLS??? THEY GENERATE ELECTRICITY AND TAX BREAKS THEY DON'T PUMP OUT GROUND WATER.
Thank you for clearing that up. What does it mean to be against global warming?
September 15th, 2015 at 11:13:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: pew
Thank you for clearing that up. What does it mean to be against global warming?
Any politician who embraces man made activities as a source of global warming is considered anti-business and is soon out of office irrespective of his stance on any other issues.
September 15th, 2015 at 1:16:35 PM permalink
pew
Quote: Fleastiff
Any politician who embraces man made activities as a source of global warming is considered anti-business and is soon out of office irrespective of his stance on any other issues.
Wow. I did not know that
September 15th, 2015 at 3:27:26 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Noooo, science is seeking truth, faith claims
in every circumstance to have FOUND truth.

Only in the same way science would say that it has found a truth in saying "when I drop an apple it falls to the ground." That is as true as the religious claims of salvation through Jesus Christ. Both have been proven by accumulating probabilities that eventually have led reasonable people to declare such things as truth.

Quote:
Faith HATES HATES HATES scientific analysis
because it never turns out well for them.

True faith and religion LOVES LOVES LOVES scientific analysis. What is there to fear from true science that pursues the truth about the created world? As long as science refrains from philosophy and theology it is a glorious thing.

Quote:
Science never says (ever), 'yup, we investigated
such and such religion and found it to made
up of sound, provable evidence.' Never happened
and never will happen.

This will never happen because it is not science's role or purpose to investigate the spiritual aspects of life or religion.

Quote:
FrG himself has implied here over and over that
he doesn't understand how the unbelievers here
cannot see 'the truth' when it's right in front of
our noses.

It is true that I often don't understand unbelievers. I need to remember to be more patient and understanding.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (