Uber?

September 14th, 2015 at 8:12:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Nah, trucks wear the right lane out faster than cars do the left lane.

And trucks pay more in road use taxes as well as more fuel so more tax.

Quote:
If everyone pays at the pump for the whole road system, does that mean that me out here driving on roads that rarely wear out and bridges never rot, has to pay at the pump for Penn. bridges?

Who does the redistribution of taxes collected, feds?

Depends on who maintains the roads. The aforesaid Fort Pitt Bridge is interstate highway, so under federal funding AFIK. One of the next bridges over is the West End Bridge, which is a state road.

One bridge we had here was weird. The state maintained all but the road surface. So the county and state had to come to agreement as one did the bridging and deck and the other the road surface.

Gas taxes have to go into one pool and get distributed. Who does it depends on who controls congress.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2015 at 8:14:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: petroglyph
If everyone pays at the pump for the whole road system, does that mean that me out here driving on roads that rarely wear out and bridges never rot, has to pay at the pump for Penn. bridges?

If I were in charge, every state would maintain their own roads with no federal subsidies.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 14th, 2015 at 8:21:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Wizard
If I were in charge, every state would maintain their own roads with no federal subsidies.

Good roads would end at city limits.

Cow country can't imput the same amount as a city.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 14th, 2015 at 9:23:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Good roads would end at city limits.

Cow country can't imput the same amount as a city.

When the price of beef rises as a result, people will elect whoever will help bring ranching back to the state.
September 14th, 2015 at 10:17:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
And trucks pay more in road use taxes as well as more fuel so more tax.

Depends on who maintains the roads. The aforesaid Fort Pitt Bridge is interstate highway, so under federal funding AFIK. One of the next bridges over is the West End Bridge, which is a state road.

One bridge we had here was weird. The state maintained all but the road surface. So the county and state had to come to agreement as one did the bridging and deck and the other the road surface.

Gas taxes have to go into one pool and get distributed. Who does it depends on who controls congress.
I mostly agree with you. Was asking who you would have redistribute the fuel tax collected, Feds or state or county or city? If all the money goes into one pool, say at the federal level. We are right where we are with fed power, but more money.

I am assuming in AZ''s master road plan, the costs of everything is bundled in the gas tax per gallon. Two minutes later, Cal. especially will slap another buck a gallon on for some fool thing. I think the further we get from central control, with local oversight, the more effective government we would have. Recall Reagan's Grace commission? Without being allowed to suggest the discontinuation of any agency, they documented way's to save big money in 2500 different agency's.

In this case, the uber drivers wearing out the pavement in New Jersey, causing needed repairs are collecting profits, but the road fixing gets lumped into the price of a gallon in the desert. I wonder about the toll roads and parking meters that are being sold to private foreign interests. We are trading infrastructure for debt now.

Remember the big hullabaloo about China wanting to buy our ports a few years back? Haven't heard anything sense, so either it ceased to be a matter of national security or they were sold. I read somewhere in Mich. [?], some county's were removing asphalt in some areas because gravel is cheaper to maintain. Some common sense injected into the big plan might help as well.

It also comes down to where we each draw our line in the sand as regards the money our gov blows. I like our road system pretty well. Didn't like the hwy. in Tenn. much, bit of an obstacle course.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 15th, 2015 at 6:38:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So, nobody is paying their fair share to maintain the roads at the pumps.

[..]

In my opinion, any business that uses the countries roads should pay their fair share for their maintenance.

Look up how much shipping of all sorts of goods is carried out by road in America. the bottom line is, if you live there you benefit from the existence of all sorts of roads. Therefore if those who use the roads should pay for them, and I can't argue with that, then everyone should pay.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 15th, 2015 at 7:18:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
Therefore if those who use the roads should pay for them, and I can't argue with that, then everyone should pay.

I agree.
September 15th, 2015 at 7:22:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I agree.

By "everyone" I mean everyone. Not only drivers and trucking companies.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 15th, 2015 at 7:57:01 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I hope somebody else will take over my side of that as it is way out of my area. Just my luck I had to bring it up with somebody from Pittsburgh.

I suppose I could.

There have absolutely been bridge problems in my neck of the woods. Some should include an asterisk as the were on the rez or its border. Due to the interesting relationship between nation and state, these fall into a sort of grey area. But there were at least two bridges in Buffalo that needed emergency mesh erection to keep the concrete from smashing the cars below, as the bridge was literally crumbling onto traffic. There was also one right in my area that required a severe weight reduction. This on a bridge that was a main artery into the southtowns, and required a 40mi+ detour for big rigs as none could cross it and there's not another crossing for miles.

Infrastructure does get "Henny Penny'd" by certain groups, but while they're a little exuberant in their claims, said claims do have some validity.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 15th, 2015 at 4:04:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Uber driver boards are a riot. Read the
first post in the thread, a guy is describing
to a tee what cab driving is all about. It's
lots and lots of crappy small fares, with a
few good ones thrown in. It's work, it's a
job, a job that mostly sucks. As more and
more people catch on to ride sharing, the
quality of the riders will drop drastically.
As it's already doing.

http://uberpeople.net/threads/is-it-me-or-is-uber-dying-a-slow-death.35636/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.