Uber?

April 26th, 2017 at 3:57:22 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
Heard again that Uber will try flying cars. I now predict Lyft will be the survivor of the two.

I don't understand these sorts of things. Maybe it's just me but who wants to ride through the air in a car?
April 26th, 2017 at 3:59:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yeah. Uber had secret programs to detect drivers working for both Uber AND Lyft.
No accounting reseves for employee versus independent contractor rulings.

Driverless taxis now in Arizona (I think). Can't remember but it was a recent headline.

Yeah, recent test period ended. Waymo (owned by google) now offering driverless car rides in Phoenix.

UK to have driverless cars on Oxford to London route... now in study phase.

Apple hiring engineers to play catch up on driverless technology.
April 26th, 2017 at 4:49:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Aussie
I don't understand these sorts of things. Maybe it's just me but who wants to ride through the air in a car?
EVERYONE once its been going on for a few months. Will probably start out as 'Airport Shuttles' and then expand from there. By the time its been happening for six months with no headlines... everyone going to or from the airport will want it.
April 27th, 2017 at 12:48:36 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just used Uber today to go to the Dr office and then back home. I love it. So quick, convenient and cheap. So many cars around, pickup was in 3 min at home. Leaving the Dr office, another 3 min wait. No wasting time waiting. Cars just up the street or just around the corner waiting for business. Nice cars and nice drivers. Very reasonable prices. Very neat software, when waiting for them, you see their progress on a map getting to your pickup point.
They now have another service, Uber eats. They pick up restaurant food and bring it to your door. Hmm, I think I
am getting hungry, gonna check out some menus.
I love Uber
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 27th, 2017 at 1:25:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
I love it. So quick, convenient and cheap.

Just wait until a period of high demand.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 27th, 2017 at 3:41:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Just used Uber today to go to the Dr office and then back home. I love it. So quick, convenient and cheap. So many cars around, pickup was in 3 min at home. Leaving the Dr office, another 3 min wait. No wasting time waiting. Cars just up the street or just around the corner waiting for business. Nice cars and nice drivers. Very reasonable prices. Very neat software, when waiting for them, you see their progress on a map getting to your pickup point.
They now have another service, Uber eats. They pick up restaurant food and bring it to your door. Hmm, I think I
am getting hungry, gonna check out some menus.
I love Uber

Learn to love a competitor, Uber is going down. Too unfocused.
The President is a fink.
April 27th, 2017 at 4:13:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

People who think that's the magical solution to traffic?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 27th, 2017 at 4:37:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman

I don't, not with a bunch of cars up there anyhow.
The President is a fink.
April 27th, 2017 at 5:09:38 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't, not with a bunch of cars up there anyhow.

This is exactly my thinking. Again, it might just be me but there just seems like so many things could go wrong with something like this. Yes I know it will be thoroughly tested etc but still I'm happy to sit on the ground.
April 27th, 2017 at 5:54:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
This is exactly my thinking. Again, it might just be me but there just seems like so many things could go wrong with something like this. Yes I know it will be thoroughly tested etc but still I'm happy to sit on the ground.

Not just you. For this to be practical there has to be just one per mile or a fully laid out traffic pattern. Planes get what, a 1,000 foot buffer? One plane per? Flying cars will lack one big thing--brakes. Don't worry, it aint happening.
The President is a fink.