Uber?

April 28th, 2017 at 3:49:38 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
First Responders note trend for crash scene victims to call Uber rather than an ambulance.
Better response time and cheaper, I guess.
April 28th, 2017 at 8:56:30 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
Not just you. For this to be practical there has to be just one per mile or a fully laid out traffic pattern. Planes get what, a 1,000 foot buffer? One plane per? Flying cars will lack one big thing--brakes. Don't worry, it aint happening.

You ever drive a boat on a crowded lake? No lanes, no one knows the rules. Idiots everywhere.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 28th, 2017 at 9:10:24 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: JimRockford
You ever drive a boat on a crowded lake? No lanes, no one knows the rules. Idiots everywhere.
But life goes on; with only a few adverse headlines.
April 28th, 2017 at 9:54:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Exactly why I never see flying cars working. Been there, done that.
The President is a fink.
April 28th, 2017 at 10:18:40 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Fleastiff
UBER in and out of AUSTIN:

Brief background: Austin, probably at the prodding of TaxiCab Companies, told Uber and Lyft to do full background checks including police fingerprint checks on drivers and treat drivers as employees entitltled to a minimum wage or at least a minimum 'cut' of the fare.

Uber and Lyft said "Adios, Austin"

Replacement-type local companies sprung up using Facebook and Uber/Lyft like platforms but these newcomers seem to lack full scale up platform stability and often service deteriorates at rush hours or special events.

Recently: SWSX and a downpour combined to have SWSX attendees all want rides at the same time and demand soared beyond ten fold with all local platforms so overwhelmed that smartphones were lucky to even get error messages rather than just static pages of No Cars Available as drivers were desperately seeking fares.

The law that Austin passed in 2015 requires ride share drivers to pass fingerprint based background checks. It also requires a few safety measures like not allowing passenger pick up and drop off in a lane of traffic. However it does not impose any regulation on the pay or treatment of drivers. After the law passed Uber and Lyft funded a PAC that raised enough signatures to get a referendum election to repeal the law. They then spent millions of dollars more than has ever been spent in an Austin city election campaigning for the prop with deceptive ads, but Austin voted overwhelmingly against the prop thereby keeping the fingerprint regulation.

Uber and Lyft immediately ceased operations leaving a couple of other ride hailing companies struggling to hire enough drivers to make the model work. A few others moved in and within a few months a company based in Boston called Fasten and a local non profit start up called Ride Austin emerged as the most viable and signed up enough drivers so that the service works pretty well. There are now more ride share drivers here than when Uber and Lyft were in full operation. The new companies held up well for a few big demand events like the Austin City Limits music festival and the F1 race. Last Saturday showed that they are still having some growing pains, but they say the scaling problems are now fixed. SXSW just kicked off and the music part of it hasn,t even started yet, so they'll get a chance to prove it.

The remainder on SXSW went off without any hide hailing problems. Austin is doing fine without Uber or Lyft. The barrier to enter for ride share companies is not that high. I think Uber is desperately trying leverage their leadership position to raise the bar.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 5th, 2017 at 4:10:28 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Justice Dept. opens criminal probe into Uber's use of software to evade government oversight in jurisdictions that forbid or regulated Uber operations.
June 6th, 2017 at 10:30:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Uber is great.
I needed a ride this morning at 545am to 6am pickup window
That time, I was unsure I would get that ride, pretty early
Colonoscpy appt, had a friend drive me home afterward
Set it up a few days in advance on the uber app
This morning, uber right on time
Car in my driveway right at 545am
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 6th, 2017 at 4:21:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Chicago cabbies say industry is teetering toward collapse

42% of cabs did not take even one fare in March!
The President is a fink.
June 6th, 2017 at 5:40:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

42% of cabs did not take even one fare in March!

42% of the cabs sat idle, not the drivers.
42% of the cabs failed to find drivers.
There is rarely a time when a whole
fleet is on the road, 10% to 15% is usually
idle all the time. The drivers aren't showing
up.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 6th, 2017 at 5:51:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
42% of the cabs sat idle, not the drivers.
42% of the cabs failed to find drivers.
There is rarely a time when a whole
fleet is on the road, 10% to 15% is usually
idle all the time. The drivers aren't showing
up.

That is what I said. Look at it another way, 42% of medallion holders did not get one penny of return on their investment. Of course some of the fleet is off the road at any given time. But 2 in 5 cabs sat the entire month. Did they all need transmissions at the same time? Or is the competition cutting in?
The President is a fink.