Uber?

September 7th, 2017 at 5:24:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Taxi was a stupid show. Cab drivers spend
zero time at the office, you make no money
there. Most unrealistic TV show ever made.
I enjoyed the heck out of that show. I wish tv and comedy was more like that today.

Marilu Henner was hot. Reverend Jim, what a riot. Loui, how could you not love him?

Shows like that ought to grace our screens now, shows like Fish, Hill street blues, Taxi, Frazier, Cheers. Modern sitcoms just are not funny to me. Back then you had to "get it". Chris Lloyd is one of my favorite characters, Back to the future was comedic genius.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 7th, 2017 at 5:25:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
If there are no cabs available, you don't drive. "Taxi" was the same as my first courier job. You showed up and waited for a run. Cabs need to move to pay for the medallion so they need drivers to be waiting.

I have no idea what you're talking
about. We had 50 cabs and 50
drivers. All cabs were assigned,
drivers spent zero time in the
office. Why would they. You came
in, got in your cab and went to
work. Same cab every day, for
years sometimes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 7th, 2017 at 5:27:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I have no idea what you're talking
about. We had 50 cabs and 50
drivers. All cabs were assigned,
drivers spent zero time in the
office. Why would they. You came
in, got in your cab and went to
work. Same cab every day, for
years sometimes.

So how did all 50 drivers show up every day day in and day out without missing? You hand no extra board for call-ins?
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2017 at 5:27:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
Taxi, Frazier, Cheers. .

Cheers was another fantasy. Alcoholics
aren't funny and entertaining, they're
depressing and drunk. If you go to your
neighborhood bar 5-6 times a week, you're
an alcoholic.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 7th, 2017 at 5:45:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Cheers was another fantasy. Alcoholics
aren't funny and entertaining, they're
depressing and drunk. If you go to your
neighborhood bar 5-6 times a week, you're
an alcoholic.
It wasn't reality tv, it was comedy.

5-6 times per week? If that is the qualifications, there were a few times in my life I was an alki. I know what you mean though about the sorry drunks who have the same seat as the last time I went in. It is a sorry situation. Different kinds of drunks. I much prefer the happy ones. I grew up with two alki's in my family, not blood relatives.

My definition is more in line with step #1. "We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable". The alcoholics that I was familiar with drank 7 days per week. They go into DT's without, that for me is when it breaks over from habit to addiction. Slight difference, maybe semantics only, but we both know people that drank often, that have no problem not drinking. But I knew others that got really sick without a drink. I've worked with them, and they were safer if they had a drink than having the shakes.

Alcohol is one of the few substances that you can actually die from, when withdrawing. Often more dangerous to stop cold turkey than heroin.
September 7th, 2017 at 6:02:43 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Again, how many drivers in Aus are from
Somalia, Ukraine or Bosnia. My guess is
none.

You'd guess wrong. A large portion of taxi/uber drivers are immigrants and surprise surprise many are from these types of countries.
September 7th, 2017 at 6:09:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
It wasn't reality tv, it was comedy.

5-6 times per week? If that is the qualifications, there were a few times in my life I was an alki. I know what you mean though about the sorry drunks who have the same seat as the last time I went in. It is a sorry situation. Different kinds of drunks. I much prefer the happy ones. I grew up with two alki's in my family, not blood relatives.

There are alcoholics and there are heavy drinkers. It is not the same thing, and for that matter AA does a disservice.

An alcoholic cannot function without drinking, and cannot stop. A heavy drinker might drink after work every day, but probably because he hates going home to an awful home life. He can start and stop at will. It does not control his life, though it may fill all of his free time.

I saw a group called "Moderation Management." It was for people who just got into a drinking rut but did not show symptoms of addiction. They required a person stop all drinking for 4-6 weeks (I forget exactly) then they had a daily or weekly limit. It worked better for people who did not need the meetings, just needed someone to say, "hey, cut it back!"
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2017 at 6:48:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Aussie
You'd guess wrong.

"Uber is just awful. I had a driver verbally abuse me this morning, so I asked Uber for a full refund.'

"That's when I saw that a second charge of $97.94 had been applied. To make a long story short, and after a number of back and forth emails with UBER, it seems that my driver Yuniel, who could not speak a word of English, claimed that my dog (which I do not have) had urinated all over his seats."

"It was pouring rain and the driver pulled up. I close my umbrella and I was trying to balance myself and get myself into his vehicle and he got mad because my umbrella was wet and got water on his vinyl seats and while he was busy throwing a fit, I was standing outside of the car but not allowed to get in until I can move the umbrella and he can dry off the seat. He was very rude and yelling at me the whole time."

Every Uber driver I ask has stories from passengers
about bad Uber drivers. Sorry if that rocks your
fantasy world about Uber, but it's the reality.
September 7th, 2017 at 7:29:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
". Sorry if that rocks your
fantasy world about Uber, but it's the reality.

???
My opinion of Uber is from personal experience
Not reading EB stories of Uber which I don't believe
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 7th, 2017 at 7:58:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
There are alcoholics and there are heavy drinkers. An alcoholic cannot function without drinking, and cannot stop. A heavy drinker might drink after work every day, but probably because he hates going home to an awful home life.
I was a trained professional. When we were around 14 dad would give us a beer now and again, he didn't want our first experience to be out in public exposed to the dangers. I never would get out of control, but I drank my fill in many a gin joint. It was a way of life.

Like you said, it was a place to go. I worked out of town for many years. Didn't want to hang out at "the room". Drinking was also a pretty good pain reliever. No harm done. As far as getting away from the home, I did work therapy.