Uber?

September 20th, 2017 at 8:21:37 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
I have used Uber about 90% of the time and Lyft the other 10%. I have noticed no difference in service and it seems that lots of the drivers work for both.

Yep. Apparently Lyft has more stringent standards for what type of vehicle must be used.

There was a Pai Gow Poker dealer at NYNY who also drives for Uber. I asked him if he did Lyft too and he said his car wasn't up to their standards.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 20th, 2017 at 8:30:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I have noticed no difference in service and it seems that lots of the drivers work for both.

You have to figure the sharp ones will since there is near-zero downside. Same as I do with party-dealing. Free agent means free agent. I did hear Uber was trying to crack down on the practice to the extent they can. IMHO Lyft will be the surviving company in the end.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2017 at 8:34:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Yep. Apparently Lyft has more stringent standards for what type of vehicle must be used.

We don't have Lyft here yet. We have Uber and a company called Cabify. I've used the latter only once, when I had a discount coupon that made that trip cheaper than on Uber (or on anything, really). yesterday, though, they announced all trips within Mex City worth up to 200 pesos would be free.

I wonder how that worked, seeing as how people at the office who live near or in the affected areas took hours to get home.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 20th, 2017 at 11:47:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Typical conversation on an Uber forum:

>Is it me or has it been slower than slow lately. Heading home early more often or staying late out to try to make peanuts

>Same in my city, man. Bank account is feeling it

>Not a full time job boys.

>Easily can be for someone without kids, but yeah

>Not a full time job. But getting to the point not worth going out.

Uber/Lyft have too many cars on the road,
it dilutes the business so it's very hard for the
average driver to make money. In the cab biz,
we were very careful that our driver number met
the demand, or the drivers would find other
jobs. Uber could care less about the drivers, they're
only in it for the money, the more drivers the better.
It's also a recipe for failure of the business.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2017 at 12:03:11 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
How does having too many drivers affect uber and lyft? they don't have to pay them. There is very little carrying cost. For this model, it doesn't lead to a failure of the business.

As for drivers and demand, the same thing happens - if there isn't enough demand, drivers will find other work. The remaining drivers will have more demand and more work. It manages itself.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 20th, 2017 at 12:07:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

As for drivers and demand, the same thing happens - if there isn't enough demand, drivers will find other work. The remaining drivers will have more demand and more work. It manages itself.

Ya see, in Bob's cab business if there were too many cabs then the unconnected cabs would be firebombed by the cabs with better connections, then supply leveled.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2017 at 12:45:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
How does having too many drivers affect uber and lyft?

Reputation is everything. Uber assumes the
pit of drivers is endless, there will always
be a line of suckers out the door wanting to sit
in their cars for hours a day waiting for
penny ante fares. They're wrong, it will
bottom out eventually, it always does. Just
like every Ponzi-like scheme.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2017 at 12:51:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I understand this concept of the market setting demand, but there is a learning curve. People have to try these services and see how things go. Its the drivers who have to jump thru hoops to start and then have find out if there really is any money in it and how to get it. Cream skimming is fine but whether they are employees or independent contractors... the money has to be there in reality, not fantasy.
September 20th, 2017 at 1:15:10 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Reputation is everything. .

Hmm
Listen to Uber driver Aussie regarding Uber
or
The shattered rep of EB who resides in the last century and doesn't get new Tech combanies
HMM
Decisions decisions
Aussie Aussie is the winner :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 20th, 2017 at 1:50:57 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Hmm
Listen to Uber driver Aussie regarding Uber
or
The shattered rep of EB who resides in the last century and doesn't get new Tech combanies
HMM
Decisions decisions
Aussie Aussie is the winner :-)

What, you are not siding with the guy that said he would never take an Uber (and probably still hasn't)?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.